PDA

View Full Version : Psion - repair or replace, if so with what?

Memetic
21st Dec 2004, 12:25
My trusty Psion 5MX, already on it's second set of screen cables, is in need of repair, displaying the usual "barcode" instead of picture on the screen unless you wiggle it just right.

My boss is happy for me to get it repaired or for me to buy another PDA / switch to a PDA phone.

As i'm unlikely to persuade him to buy an oqo instead of the new laptop that is also planned as a desktop replacement, I'm after suggestions for the best replacement to a Psion 5MX as an alternative to repairing it again.

I already have a P900 phone, but it's not a replacement for a keyboard equipped PDA for taking meeting notes on or reviewing and editing documents - and as far as I have seen neither are any of the PalmOS / WinCe / Windows Mobile devices.

Memetic

Cornish Jack
22nd Dec 2004, 10:46
Given the availability and pricing of secondhand, little-used Psions on E-Bay, I would have thought that 'more of the same' was the best bet. There is still nothing to compare with them for OS stability and a useable keyboard. In addition, the range of add-on software (shareware and freeware) is immense.
I am in the process of accumulating the 'ideal Psion package' - 5MX with full UK and Europe mapping plus GPS and language translators etc., etc. The RevoPlus is an alternative, but less attractive, option.
Pslendid Psion!! - Colour?? Pah! unnecessary gimmicks!

amanoffewwords
22nd Dec 2004, 11:00
I use one of these

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/smartphones/treo650/photos/01.jpg

Treo 600 (now called Treo 650)

Which replaced a psion revo - the keyboard is small so you wouldn't be able to type a thesis on it but you get used it. An external keyboard can be attached though. Compatible with Word, Excel etc (with the appropriate software).

Memetic
22nd Dec 2004, 12:10
Looking around i have seen these:

http://www.shirtpocket.co.uk/images/C860_PortLan_m.jpg

edit: That's odd the image at http://www.shirtpocket.co.uk/images/C860_PortLan_m.jpg showed up in the preview. If you can see it let me know, and i'll remove the link above - I'm not advertising for them!

The Sharp Zaurus SL-C860/SL-C3000 they look very capable but are not officially avalaible in the uk, there is a company that will import and convert them though - bit pricey.

Cornish Jack - Was it you who bought my Psion GPS earlier this year on eBay? :D Got rid of it as I never used it.

amanoffewwords - I have yet to try a Treo, i'll have to find somewhere that has live ones rather than display dummies.

amanoffewwords
22nd Dec 2004, 12:29
Memetic, I got mine from Orange on-line so I guess one of their shops would have it.

Cornish Jack
23rd Dec 2004, 09:53
Memetic
Re. the GPS buy - yes, could well be. The first one I bought sort of worked, but kept switching off and throwing up a 'User Code 23' message if it was left on the information screen. Caused a bit of head scratching. Subsequent units do exactly the same and the message is as useful as a chocolate fire guard!!. The TOM TOM customer service site is, of course, legendary in its inefficiency so I'm living with it.
One unpublished bit of tech info which might be of use to others is that all of these units have a CR2025 battery in the aerial 'mouse' itself and in each case these were totally flat and had to be replaced. :(