PDA

View Full Version : Air 2 nowhere ?

bog_rat
21st Dec 2004, 01:45
Good company I hear.

When are they starting does anybody know or care.

BR

1McLay
21st Dec 2004, 07:06
In the local rag today:

Air Service eyes Taupo

Taupo could have a new jet service operating from Wellington by this time next year, says air2there chief executive Murray Cole.
Air2there is a new rejional jet service operating as a short distance air service. It currently flies between Paraparaumu, Wellington, Masterton, Blenhiem and Palmerston North.
Mr Cole says he hopes to expand the service next year to include other centres such as Nelson and Taupo. He says it is likely that Taupo would be serviced by a small jet from Wellington and that the service would appeal to business customers.

Kinda gives the impression they are already established, up and running. Are they? :\

1M

cubnut
23rd Dec 2004, 00:08
They are not as of yet operating. A chieftan from "manawatu air services(?)" is doing the odd flight for the pax they have booked. My family booked a couple of months ago to come over tomorrow and are assured by a rude employee that "of course you'll be flying with us, why would'nt you?" Ahhh cause you have no operators certificate yet. Cole is a bull**** artist, just look at his press release above. I here through the good old rumour network dont expect to see them operating this side of the new year.

cub

flying ginge
23rd Dec 2004, 00:44
now is it just my imagination or did I see a pic of the interior of the interior of the air 2 nowhere caravan all decked out in full corporate kit? What good is that going to be if you're trying to stuff as many pax in as poss? However, if he's installed a new slim PS2 also I'll definitely be travelling

cubnut
23rd Dec 2004, 02:10
Just hot of the local rumour press, 125 entry audit yesterday. Result; don't know.

turbolager
23rd Dec 2004, 09:22
Some kind of booking terminal gadget on a little desk with their logo and a computer screen.

Anyone know the fare prices? Cause if its any lower than what Eagle and Origin are getting for jumping the Cook Strait then air2there will slip quietly under first hint of unexpected maintenance on their PT6...

and if the fare isnt any lower, well, lets see now, Caravan, or B1900/J32.... not a very difficult decision eh! Cant see why on earth anyone will show up, not WB<->WN at least anyway.

cubnut
23rd Dec 2004, 17:51
$28 per sector. Beats the pants off any one. But theres a catch, caravan is VFR only so if they gotta go India Mike Charlie in the "Nava-jo" too much then they gonna loose money honey. Hmm duya tink they might have a few weather pressures on them pilots from their tight arse CEO. Ya better beleive it brother.

:ugh:

haughtney1
23rd Dec 2004, 21:10
Just a couple of quick questions.......how many days a year are IMC in that part of NZ.....it blows so bl%@dy hard, I have thought not many.....and secondly are they not going to operate SE IMC at some point?
Plus Id rather be IMC in a Van rather than a Nava-joke any old day

Just another thought as well...given inclement weather enroute.....I thought VFR Pt 135 ATO\'s allowed for VFR on top.....but I could be wrong:uhoh:

Sqwark2004
24th Dec 2004, 07:04
Don't know if it's legal or not but, I saw a C208B at WB this morning and it was decked out with the A2T stickers all over it, plus... it was carrying pax.

Looks like they have either got the approval to run the machine or there are some serious issues to be raised with the highly active NZCAA.

Merry Christmas to all.

S2K4eva

MOR
24th Dec 2004, 10:23
Depends who the pax are. Where they really pax, or friends of the CEO (ie a private op), or CAA staff on a proving flight?

You would have to be terminally stupid to carry pax without the proper certification, as the CAA would shut you down forever if they found out.

The CEO seems universally hated at NZPP, and has a bad reputation for some rather creative career claims.

However, if he can make it work, good on him- it will provide some jobs, and help ensure the future of the airport (which he also owns, but the acquisition of which was recently the subject to a Parliamentary Select Committee report, and which will be the subject of a special investigation if the Select Committee recommendations are heeded).

BTW all the above is in the public domain, and makes fascinating reading - go here (http://www.clerk.parliament.govt.nz/content/selectcommitteereports/i13a.pdf) for the report.

haughtney1
24th Dec 2004, 14:31
It could just be...paperwork now in order......operations commence!...(stranger things have happened!)

belowMDA
24th Dec 2004, 18:45
haughtney1:

you can fly VFR above 5/8ths provided you are IFR crewed and equipped.

Daqqy152
24th Dec 2004, 19:20
Saw the 208 Yesterday afternoon at NZPM. Had a 5min turnaround and was on the way back to PP VFR Passed me going the other way around Levin stoging down around 1200 feet. From the Radio chatter with Palmy Tower A2T is flying today (xmas) so looks all go.

haughtney1
24th Dec 2004, 19:48
5min turnaround?....ouchee...I hope they be keeping an eye on their start temps :uhoh:

The Company I fly for..OPS manual 20mins........Im off to read my manual...

turbolager
26th Dec 2004, 10:41
At $28 per sector you'd have to wonder how they make any money at all wouldn't you :rolleyes:

overhere
28th Dec 2004, 05:55
Caravan was at WLG this afternoon off loading passengers on the bay usually occupied by Soundsair.

MOR
28th Dec 2004, 07:50
Any bets as to how long they last... ;)

haughtney1
29th Dec 2004, 18:22
Tut..Tut MOR........you and I both know the NZ regional GA sector could do with a bit of a shake up:cool:..........my money is on at least 12months..till the CAA get it in the neck from the "bigger" boys.....then there will be a "violation" of some sort....:bored:

MOR
29th Dec 2004, 23:31
I quite agree, it is long overdue for a major shake-up... however I don't think Mr Coles is the man to do it.

Under-financed, over-ambitious, and in pretty deep do-dos over the acquisition of the airport. Not an expert in aviation by any stretch of the imagination. His performance to date (arbitrarily shortening runways, putting industrial sites over taxiways, etc) is not promising.

Still... if it works it will be good... but it has been tried before.

As for the CAA, they don't know their arse from their elbow, as their performance at the recent enquiry confirms (Chieftain crash at CHC). You could be right, though... :yuk:

haughtney1
30th Dec 2004, 15:34
MOR....I think the one thing they have in their favour is the aeroplane they are operating....depending on finance..(if mr cole is the shark you say he is.....he's probably got it for a comparative song)..the direct operating cost could be as low as £400 NZ per flight hour. All things being equal..operating a simple a/c like a caravan that has a high revenue load/cost ratio...you can break even with 35% of the payload utilized..(Im involved in operating 4 around the UK and Europe).
The only banana skin I can see is if VFR..becomes Very Fuggin Risky VFR...and they dont keep up with the PT6's preventative maintenance/monitoring schedule.

Couldnt agree more with your CAA comments.....the lunatics running the assylum...

:E

MOR
30th Dec 2004, 23:03
Now did I use the word "shark"? Nay! Not I! ;)

Also liked your spelling of "assylum", very apt.

Whereabouts are you involved in operating Caravans around Europe? I've been working over there and haven't seen many, I assume you were only operating VFR?

It is a nice aircraft...

haughtney1
31st Dec 2004, 19:40
MOR......Head office in the UK........German..and French registered a/c......mostly private Ops around the UK, France, Spain..etc. Most of the flying is IFR..(which as you know is a damn sight easier than VFR..especially in the UK..London TMA etc!). We also have 2 Let 410 EP's, and plans for a Kingair 200/350 (I'm rubbin my hands together!). And yes I'm happy to admit it..I am a convert to the world of Single Engine Turbine IFR.....it would mean we could use a PC12 here in the UK on Air taxi Ops..rather than the King Air. We pretty much do a bit of everything...and the company is owned by a guy who hates to fly!:p

MOR
1st Jan 2005, 02:03
Ah OK private ops, that makes sense then. Air transport IFR in a single is still verboten in the UK, isn't it?

I think I would rather be in a turbine single than a piston multi when IFR. Mind you I have had a few PT6's eat themselves in flight... not a pleasant thought if you were IMC in icing, at night, during a UK winter...

Personally I like the "dual-pac" idea, two engines but one prop.

haughtney1
4th Jan 2005, 17:30
From memory..(so this could be a little fuzzy) the whole dual-pac idea fell by the wayside...when they realised that rather than provide a more reliable power source......gearbox reliability became an issue as well as not being actually cost effective.
The pics I saw of the installation were quite impressive though!

MOR
5th Jan 2005, 00:29
No, it is still out there - Soloy did it, here's the URL:

Dual pac (http://www.soloy.com/dualpac.html)

I remember Soloy demonstrating the concept with two electric drills and a simple gearbox. Not sure how many have ever been installed though.

They do produce a conversion for the Cessna Caravan, impressive photos can be found here. (http://www.soloy.com/path21.html)

From their info sheet:

The Soloy Pathfinder 21™ is a highly modified Cessna 208B Grand Caravan. At the heart of this utility aircraft is a Pratt & Whitney Canada/Soloy Dual Pac® powerplant consisting of two PT6D-114A engines driving a single propeller through a patented Soloy combining/reduction gearbox. Power output at sea level is 1329 shp. Other distinguishing features of the Pathfinder 21™ include a 72" cabin stretch behind the wing and a large, easy loading integral cargo pod.

The aircraft gross weight has been increased from 8750 lbs. to a new ramp weight of 12,500 lbs. To accommodate this increase in weight, a new main landing gear has been installed along with a structurally reinforced fuselage, wings and nose gear.

Although the aircraft can accommodate 15-17 passengers, initial FAA certification as a "combi" (9 passengers plus freight) is planned. Certification in commuter category is intended to follow.

Looks like fun to me... :ok: