PDA

View Full Version : Potention Pilot - Good Idea?

trombahonker
21st Dec 2004, 00:33
Hi there everyone,

I am a student in southwest Florida who will be going off to college next year as a trumpet performance major. I plan to play trumpet throughout my life because I love it, but I also realize that I may not always be able to pay the bills doing this.

I've been thinking about different things I could do outside of college that would make a decent supplemental income during school and after, and have run across being a pilot about every time I think about it. When I was thirteen I logged about fifteen hours with an instructor and flew another twenty-five with a gentlemen who wasn't an instructor, so I've had a bit of a glimpse of what flying is all about.

My hope, and I have no clue if this is possible, would be to get myself up to being a flight instructor by the end of this coming summer so that throughout my school year I can, hopefully, get a job somewhere helping to train students, therefore making an income. I've always loved flying and if I didn't love music more, I'd definitely pursue being a commercial pilot. However, seeing as I want to be a trumpet player, the next best thing would be flying and training people while being paid.

Now, it's your turn to tell me whether or not it's possible for me to complete this. I'm in southwest Florida (Venice/Englewood) and am truly interested in this. I can't think of two things I'd rather be doing then playing music or flying (that I can discuss here at least), and being paid to do them would be amazing.

Please help me figure out whether or not this is a feasible hope!

Thanks,
Aaron Norlund

BigGrecian
22nd Dec 2004, 11:29
Only you can make the decision to make the jump. If you want to be a pilot that much you will.

It is certainly possible to become a Flight Instructor by the Summer but you would be hard pushed and more likely complete by late autumn. You will also need some money either from a bank/parents etc. Be aware flight instructor pay isn't very good.

Good Luck!

trombahonker
23rd Dec 2004, 04:59
What would I need to expect cost wise? $5000? $10000? I just don't know...

Thanks
Aaron

mazzy1026
23rd Dec 2004, 10:40
The first thing that came to my mind, is that even if you took up flying commercially, you can still enjoy music. I know you wouldn't be making a career out of it, but there would be nothing from stopping you from playing it and enjoying it - to your hearts content. I cant offer advice on any costs I am afraid as I dont know, but someone else will post.

Best wishes with whatever you do,

Maz

fantatsic pprune name by the way!