PDA

View Full Version : Rafanasaurus

kokpit
20th Dec 2004, 18:17
Got a copy of the latest 'RAFANASAURUS' from the Embassy today, 'The Comprehensive Collection Of RAF Speak :)

It's a hoot, could somebody host it please as it doesn't seem we can attach files in this BBS?

Thanks and regards,

Kokpit.

jimgriff
20th Dec 2004, 19:18
If you can scan and e mail it to me I'l host it for you.

[email protected]

kokpit
20th Dec 2004, 19:45
Thnx Jim,

It was already a word doc, so email on its way.

Thnx for the assist,

Kokpit.

jimgriff
20th Dec 2004, 20:25
This is now viewable in all its glory here

here (http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/rafanasaurus.html)
:}

Ops and Mops
21st Dec 2004, 12:03
Is this edition going to become the official reference text for DIOT and ISS now? :E

Only if the Big Badge Blarts don't object I suppose....:p

FatBaldChief
21st Dec 2004, 12:21
Does anyone have the contact details for the genius authors of this? I have a few additions of my own for possible inclusion

fatbaldandlaughinglikeadrain :8

Ah I is stupid! Found the form now where do I send it to?
Forgive me if I am even more stupid this time than I was earlier. And I was stupid then :8

althenick
21st Dec 2004, 14:39
Just a few constructive critcism's

Pongo - Generic term used to describe our colleagues in the Army. “Where ever the Army goes, that’s where the pong goes.

NOT TRUE - that's what the Marines would have you believe! the reference actually comes from the Boer war and was made up by the RN after a particular large species of ape (Biafran??) refered to locally as 'Percy Pongo'. Since the men of the Army tended to be taller than the your avarege sailor they were given the Name Pongo (Or sometimes simply refered to in the RN as 'perce')

Bimble - A term used to describe skiving. E.g. “F*&# this is pants, I’m off for a bimble down the Gadaffi to check out the blart”. - Also used by the RM to describe any thing that is less than a 'Yomp'

Pretty good start to what will be a good laugh - I'll bookmark it and check it regularly:ok:

For anyone out there whos interested there is a book by Surgeon Comander Rick Jolly RN called the "Pussers Rum Guide to Royal Naval Slanguage" (same thing as RAFasaurus but dark blue)- it's an absolute scream :p

jimgriff
21st Dec 2004, 18:38
I will volunteer to update the publication.
If people send me a word and the meaning I will update the version on the web and the definitive book.

send updates to

[email protected]

Ripline
21st Dec 2004, 19:07
Just a few constructive critcism's

Didn't write the original, did we? :D

Top resource, extremely funny, learned a lot, but would be hugely improved by someone going through it and removing the grocer's....

Ripline

jimgriff
21st Dec 2004, 19:12
No I didn't write the original. Until those people make themselves known I have volunteered to be "keeper of the updates".

I never claimed to be the author.

If they care to contact me I will of course seek their permission to do what I volunteered to do!!:hmm:

FatBaldChief
21st Dec 2004, 20:13
Well done Jimgriff what a sterling chap you are. Expect a list in your inbox tomorrow! This could be a monster!
Unless of course the Big Badges at the birdtable in 'O' group set the Feds on you and you end up in Ward 13 :8

L J R
21st Dec 2004, 22:34
A nice read.

coincidentally released around the same time as the AIRCREW DICTIONARY (of unacceptable cliche and overused phrases) - 2nd edition dated Dec 2004 Now that is a far better read.

Not sure how to get a 'soft' copy. Maybe the collective authors of latter can post it.

Lord Harry Flashman
23rd Dec 2004, 11:55
The Aircrew Dictionary (Of Unnaceptable Cliche and overused phrases) is in the process of going 'soft' and will be available online in the next few weeks. I will let you know. The email address for additions to it is: [email protected]

FatBaldChief
23rd Dec 2004, 20:33
Is that an 'Elitist' publication or can us Airplane Menders contribute as well? :8

We will obviously make sure the phrases are no longer than two syllables and are written in Chinagraph on a knee pad board :}

Mad_Mark
24th Dec 2004, 08:26
altthenick - That is why it is called the RAFANASAURUS and not the RMANASAURUS, it is RAF speak, not marine speak.

MadMark!!! :mad:

Lord Harry Flashman
24th Dec 2004, 09:06
It's not elitist all can contribute, it was initially called the Aircrew Dictionary because we were gathering the phrases from people in our trade. It was originally distributed just on the squadron we may consider changing the name in future due to its wider dispersal.