PDA

View Full Version : torrent sources

joe2812
20th Dec 2004, 15:24
With the closure of suprnova.org i'm struggling to find sites for torrents.

Now I don't use them in any shape or form which is illegal... of course... but i'm sure somebody out there must know of another site?

I just bought a £200 mp3 player an all... *sniff*

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Dec 2004, 16:40
joe2812,

I have not used them in a couple of months now, I have switched to Newsbin, which downloads though the newsgroups much faster and most of the downloads have Par2 with them.

It is worth looking into.

NewsBin Pro (http://www.newsbin.com/)

Combined with:

newzBin (http://www.newzbin.com/)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. It is where I get all the episodes of EastEnders for my wife and mother-in-law. ;)

maxell
20th Dec 2004, 16:57
If you do not want to pay for the use of newsbin pro and your isp provides newsgroup access try xnews its a free program and will give you a feel for what is available

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Dec 2004, 17:19
maxell,

Newsbin will still work with you local ISP's Newsgroups. (But works best with Usenet.) ;)

Take Care,

Richard

maxell
20th Dec 2004, 17:23
I use newsbin and xnews with two servers. I was just thinking of a freebie option for joe2812 to try first

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Dec 2004, 17:36
maxell,

Is xnews the program that stopped development a couple of years ago?

Richard

maxell
20th Dec 2004, 18:18
thats the one stopped in 2002 i think but is capable of yenc encoded binaries, and at times is easier than newsbin pro for downloading partial files
Although most folk these days seem to be using grabit/agent or newsleecher

Max

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Dec 2004, 20:57
maxell,

I used to use Agent, but I switched to Newsbin with the .nbz download files from newzbin.com (http://www.newzbin.com/) and it takes seconds to get what you want. I have not have to search though newsgroups in months.

It does make things so simple and for me time effective. :ok:

Richard

joe2812
20th Dec 2004, 22:11
Richard,

Have paid the $35 for newzbin pro, however am stuck on the first screen to 'add initial server'.

Currently reading the site for FAQs etc but any help much appreciated.

Regards,

(just to add, I am unfortunately on AOL...)

SoftTop
21st Dec 2004, 06:03
Joe,

try www.isohunt.com

It allows searches across a couple of download formats including BT.

ST

spannersatcx
21st Dec 2004, 08:10
links deleted - sorry, spanners, but "WE HAVE ALL THE LATEST WAREZ ON EXTREMELY FAST CONNECTIONS"? We don't allow links to that sort of stuff

oops - sorry

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Dec 2004, 20:16
joe2812,

I am sorry, but I do not use AOL (hate it actually), I do not know if they have Newsgroups for you to access. If they do, then we just need to setup the Newsgroup Server.

If not, then I do not know what to say, the idea you were on AOL never crossed my mind. (There is the option to sign up for Usenet, but that is a quarterly subscription, but it is very fast.)

Take Care,

Richard

Evo
22nd Dec 2004, 07:15
Folks, torrents are useful and have some perfectly reasonable uses (I use them to grab Linux .iso files, for example) so we can discuss them here. It's up to you to decide what to use them for.

However, please don't link to sources, especially if they're obviously illegal. If you want them, then try Google. Don't drag PPRuNe into it.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Dec 2004, 11:34
Evo,

Just to add, Blizzard also uses torrent for both the World of WarCraft Beta and for patch distribution.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Now I wish I had a option to offer joe2812. :(