PDA

View Full Version : PPL Confusing!!!!!

SAMIR786
20th Dec 2004, 13:48
Hi

I have a 2003/2004 edition of the PPL Confuser and have heard stories that some of the answers given are incorrect.

Can somebody highlight exactly which ones these are?

Many thanks!

:ok:

High Wing Drifter
20th Dec 2004, 15:25
Not sure about the 2003/2004 confuser, but when I did my PPL in 2003 some of the answers correct when Thom was wrong and some were wrong when Thom was right.

Two that spring to mind are:

* The method for calculating cloud bases was correct in the Confuser.

* The correct given answer for the effect of flaps on pitch was wrong the Confuser.

There were others that I can't recall, suffice to say that they were pretty obvious contradictions so shouldn't cause any grief.

BEagle
20th Dec 2004, 15:30
Yes, HWD - that 'flaps' question was one which always showed whether an exam candidate had learned the subject rather than the Confuser!

The Confuser is fine as a revision tool; it does not, however, replace proper study of the subject.

All the PPL exams were re-issued earlier this year, so I've no idea how relevant the PPL Confuser still is....

FlyingForFun
20th Dec 2004, 19:05
BEagle has said it. Learn the subjects - if you do that, it won't bother you if one or two of the answers in the Confuser are wrong, because you'll pick up on the errors, and confirm them by referencing Thom or Pratt. It is well worth it's price if used correctly.

FFF
-------------

mgc
20th Dec 2004, 21:17
read the text books, learn the subject, don't even open the confuser and you'll do fine. The questions are all pretty simple really. Ask yourself 'why is it called the confuser?'

SAMIR786
20th Dec 2004, 21:54
Cheers Guys...

I am fully intending to read Thom first and then utilise the Confuser.

However, according to the PPL ground examiner at London Met, the PPL syllabus/exam structure has not changed over the last 1 year!!!

Can anyone out there confirm?

mgc
21st Dec 2004, 21:05
not sure what you mean 'over the last 1 year'

The exam papers were changed / updated about a year ago, but the format is the same, multi guess. I am not aware that there has been any significant syllabus change since JAR came in.

FlyingForFun
21st Dec 2004, 21:30
There is a minor change in the format - you now get a choice of 4 answers in the multi-guess instead of 3. Apart from that, no real change.

FFF
--------------

G-ANDY
22nd Dec 2004, 15:19
Hello!

I found some mistakes in the Confuser to, but it was good because it kept me "on my toes!!" It was also good, because instead of just accepting if an answer was correct or incorrect, it gave me a chance to re-check and scrutinise my work - which meant re-reading. Now I feel I have a fairly good basic knowledge.

I do think it would have been possible to study for the exams usuing only the Confuser, but then you're sure to come un-stuck somewhere in the future.

G-DY