PDA

View Full Version : IFTA, going-going-gone....

lostconcern
19th Dec 2004, 14:11
Looks like this once proud company who led the way for the CAA to allow JAA flight training in the USA is about to die, the last aircraft they own are advertised for sale...

from www.macdonaldaircraft.com

DIAMOND DA20 KATANA $54,750 1996 FL

http://www.controller.com/images/controller/thumb/70831533.jpg

For Sale - $54,750, S/N: 10216, 1507 TT, 0 SNEW, Low time, NEW ENGINE, Digital Radios, GPS, ECONO FLYER only 5 gph, owner wants it sold, Make offer. , 2 Seats
Updated: Dec 14 2004 12:56PM
Scott MacDonald Aircraft Sales (772)781-5900 (772)288-1202

PIPER WARRIOR III $104,900 1997 FL

http://www.controller.com/images/controller/thumb/71673053.jpg

For Sale - $104,900, , 6515 TT, 795 SMOH, IFR, LATE MODEL King Digital IFR, KMA 24, Dual KX-155 Nav/Coms, KR87 ADF, KT-76A Transponder Intercom, Rare Late Model , 1997 Paint, 1997 Int , 4 Seats
Updated: Nov 16 2004 7:40PM

PIPER SENECA III Call 1981 FL

http://www.controller.com/images/controller/thumb/71657426.jpg

S/N: 34-8133146, 9400 TT, 2023 SMOH / 2023 SMOH (a bit over tbo ! ) , IFR, 3 blade props, HSI, Air, Radar, King Digital IFR Package, Owner wants sold , 6 Seats
Updated: Nov 1 2004 10:18AM

PIPER SENECA II Call 1977 FL

http://www.controller.com/images/controller/thumb/71246338.jpg

S/N: 38832, 5359 TT, 124 SMOH / 1800 SMOH, IFR, King Digital IFR, DME, RNAV, HSI, Dual GS, RMI, Recent Paint and interior OWNER WANTS OFFER , 6 Seats
Updated: Dec 13 2004 2:01PM

PIPER SENECA I $79,500 1973 FL
http://www.controller.com/images/controller/thumb/71241348.jpg

For Sale - $79,500, , 3864 TT, 1472 SMOH / 1893 SMOH, IFR, Low time, KING digital IFR, HSI, KNS 80, ADF, KX-155, Priced to Sell , 6 Seats
Updated: Dec 13 2004 2:01PM

Please note this post is not advertising for them, but a warning that something might be up at this school if they are selling up all their plane, so STUDENT BEWARE.

newflyer
19th Dec 2004, 19:57
According to the FAA, IFTA still have 6 Beech Baron 58's.
N871AN / N872AN / N873AN / N874AN / N875AN / N876AN

lostconcern
19th Dec 2004, 20:38
There are many IFTA's in the USA, this one is located in Stuart Florida, and is a approved school for JAA training under the UK CAA
ie:

N-number : N4121T
Aircraft Serial Number : 2842017
Aircraft Manufacturer : PIPER
Model : PA-28-161
Engine Manufacturer : LYCOMING
Model : 0-320 SERIES
Aircraft Year : 1996
Owner Name : INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT TRAINING ACADEMY INC
Owner Address : 1829 SE AIRPORT RD SUITE A
STUART, FL, 34996
Type of Owner : Corporation
Registration Date : 07-Feb-1997
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Normal

This is the warrior above, in the advert...

Just_Another_PPL
20th Dec 2004, 12:16
What about the other 2 warriors and the cessna?

Anyone know?

flighttime2.0
20th Dec 2004, 19:50
I dont see warrior N4122t or c150 N63263 advertised there ..
The school is trashed from the hurricane ! what is happening to captain steven fishers empire ?

TOM82
20th Dec 2004, 20:00
CAREFUL

I went to IFTA, and they still have:

3 PA34s, the PA34 III is not flyable though, because of the last hurricane, they couldn't get it out in time because of some problems.

3 PA28, 4121T, 6879C and 21123, the last one is new at the school, flyes better than the other 2. 79C is somehow faster than 21T. 22T was sold after the hurricanes.

They sold the 760VA cessna to a guy from peru, he then flew it from KSUA to Peru over mexico. Crazy .:mad: . The old 63263 is still there.

Be aware that they still are advertising for the arrow and king air, but the arrow was sold in june 04 and the king air thing hasn't never realy been actual, havn't heard of anyone doing the course.

Now the katanas? I've seen one of the two, the same week they sold it, don't know of the other one. They said they had two. ????

Anyone who has been at IFTA knows the Fischers, and no one knows what's going on. I must say of all the students that I went there with, I am probably the only one who didn't get off too bad. I only got a slight delay of a couple of months, 2-3 that weren't due to a hurricane or myself.

If anyone is planing on going, trust me when I say be careful and don't rush in, nor pay the whole thing in advance. I must say that for this school, modular is the better way. Mr fischer doesn't realy plan too far ahead, and he doen't realy pay that much attention to his buissnes. There are many small things that can become big in time, and many things are left for the last minute.

Patience is good to have, and if stuck there you'll need it.

I don't realy want to trash the school, for the instructors are good, plus the area is ok for going to school and everybody is nice. Just management that's poor. :yuk:

Good luck.

porridge
20th Dec 2004, 20:13
Long overdue, but I'll bet it'll resurface like the Phoenix. Some people in this life seem to be able to come back from nowhere leaving the rest of us poor stiffs up the creek without a paddle (dollar)!

lostconcern
20th Dec 2004, 22:37
Both new warriors you mention seem to not be the Capts anymore, unless he has bought them in the last month... highly doubtful..

N-number : N21123
Aircraft Serial Number : 28-7916027
Aircraft Year : 1978
Owner Name : REGISTRATION PENDING
Owner Address : PO BOX 8702
WILMINGTON, DE, 19899-8702
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : Not Specified

N-number : N6879C
Aircraft Serial Number : 28-7816437
Aircraft Year : 1978
Owner Name : REGISTRATION PENDING
Owner Address : PO BOX 8702
WILMINGTON, DE, 19899-8702
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : Not Specified

So if he is selling ALL his senecas, his prized warrior, the last of his katanas ( this one was apparently in 'storage' in Fort lauderdale you will find... aka mechanics liens me thinks) what is left of the empire, apart from a pretty website, and now a virtual school!

Is there any students there are the moment who can tell future wannabes what is going on???

This fire sale cant be doing good for his empire... cant do a CPL flight test in a C150 or PA28( thats if they havent already been sold as per above) now can we!

TOM82
21st Dec 2004, 20:31
6879C was bought around august 03 and 21123 is from sept 04

There are currently students, poor fellows, half are waiting to do their CPL training, 3 are doing the FAA IR and JAA PPL and 3 are doing their ATPL and HB.

The school is still there. As I said, no one knows what's going on, communication and organisation is the last thing they worry or think about, if ever. The two fischer's aren't at the school most of the time, they might come to speek to a new student or for an exam, but you can only guess when they'd come in.

The school hasn't the best reputation, and i don't know why their instructor chose to stay, but I'm glad they did for the time i was there.

I know stephen has been down before and is now with this school. Most of his clients, almost all ab-initios are danes, this says something about their reputation in the UK.

Well good luck everyone.

'I' in the sky
24th Dec 2004, 20:08
If it is true that all the aforementioned aircraft are being sold are any of the schools training modules still approved ?

Are they still taking bookings for courses, taking deposits etc ?

STEPHEN FISHER
28th Dec 2004, 01:20
Thanks for the publicity, I have sold at least one of our 11 aircraft as a result of the earlier postings in July!

Reading through the threads it would seem that some people like to make menaces over nothing - I'm sure I know why?

Nevertheless, where does it say I flight school must own its fleet to do well? It is true that as the owner of IFTA I chose to invest over $1m in aircraft - that was my choice in 1997.

In 1997, I beleived aircraft ownership was the right way to go, 8 years later, after 3 major unsettling events (JAA harmonisation,
9-11 and recently, the devastating hurricanes), I consider I might well have been wrong - so I decided to make changes!

I therefore decided (some months ago) to reshape the fleet, I have sold N4122T (interesting someone calls themselves that!), N760VA, N2835D, N696DA.

I will also sell one more Seneca and the remaining Katana.

The company will continue to own at least 4 aircraft (Seneca, Warrior & Cessna) and will utilise leased in aircraft to meet demand. This change will give IFTA greater flexibility as it responds to the market trends in the future.

YES, IFTA is fully approved by the CAA despite the devastation caused by the hurricanes to our infrastructure, and yes, to our personal emotions! Indeed one of our valued instructors lost his home and his car, yet came back work to complete his students training despite the great emotional upheval.As long as we dont get more hurricanes in 2005, I predict a growth year in flight training in the USA - which I am sure IFTA and all it's competitors look forward to.

I'm completely certain that those who like to bash IFTA will be very dissapointed to hear most of what I have said - but they really new all along the truth!! I am also certain they will re-post with more personal and degrotary comments intended on bringing us down - be sure, you won't succeed.

For the good of capitalism, competiton is healthy. Delta getting out of JAA training is not good for any of us - choice is essential, the fewer approved training providers is NOT for the better.

To those who post without anonimity, who have a genuine complaint, if I know your problem, I will promise to communicate with you directly in an attempt to settle matters.

Stephen B Fisher
President
IFTA

lostconcern
28th Dec 2004, 01:30
If you are indeed an honest businessman, how come you advertise a JAA Kingair type rating for which you have no approval according to the UK CAA schools list, and also you advertise a JAA ATPL groundschool also for which you have no approval for according to the CAA list???

Pinga
28th Dec 2004, 08:43
Lostconcern, Please don't ask Mr. Fisher embarrassing questions, everybody who knows/knows of Mr. Fisher knows that he has a completely honest track record stretching from his days in the UK up to the present time! There is absolutely no truth in the spiteful rumors that his business sorties leave trails of disappointed and out of pocket students amongst others. It is wicked to even suggest that he indulges in sharp practices. Everybody who knew him in South Florida is well aware that he ran a completely straight and honest establishment at Naples before moving to his present location. You can further be assured that his posting above is entirely accurate and factual. If you need any confirmation of these facts, just ask him! :mad:

I for one am surprised that his honestly run establishment hasn't closed down to enable him to concentrate upon opening yet another honest business venture in yet another location!

Every student can be assured that their money will be safe with Mr Fisher. So far as I'm aware, it is indeed impossible to get him to part with any of it!

The only question which I would pose to Mr Fisher in response to his comment I am personally aware of those genuine disgruntled few is: how may hundreds do these amount to now?

STEPHEN FISHER
28th Dec 2004, 13:54
I would like to thank lostconcern & pinga for thier responses.

Lostconcern makes a good point. Our web site content has been overlooked since the hurricanes, we conentrated on looking after our current customers, organising temporary accomodation and on informing our inbound customers that we had survived!

Nevertheless I agree it needs updating as it could be misleading and it will be done shortly.

We informed the CAA of the changes to our groundschool immediately after our our building was destroyed and our CGI resigned. Our approval for ATPL ground was naturally suspended. All enrolled students were completed before the change, and I was delighted that the vast majority did well. Indeed this group will complete thier CPL courses with us in January.

Of cousre, we have not enrolled anyone since that date for ATPL ground.

On the subject of the King Air, this was launched over 1 year ago to test the market. Those customers who showed interest were only offered FAA Part 61 training as we explained our approval was pending with the CAA.

Nevertheless, I agree, that in the eyes of someone who might be less than sympathetic to IFTA, this presents an opportunity to them to bash us, so effective immediately, I am going to withdraw this page from our web - it may take me a couple of days, but it will be done.

Yes it is true of all companies - you cannot be in business and fail to attract your share of critics, that is certanly true of us. No company can boast 100% customer satisfaction because we are only human. I will say again, if anyone still feels they have an unresolved problem with IFTA then email me [email protected] and I will gaurantee to resolve it.

Stephen B Fisher
President
IFTA

Pinga
28th Dec 2004, 17:28
Yes, the Florida swamp alligators appear with nice friendly smiles too!

My names Turkish
28th Dec 2004, 17:41
I've been trying to stay away from this part of the website for a while but this one caught my attention. I don't know the owner of IFTA but from the title of the thread I imagine its title could be quite damaging.

Just wondering out loud here but reading Pingas and Lostconcerns posts I did wonder as to what really motivates someone to write such posts. I wondered so much that I looked back through their fairly brief post history. Just a few that pricked my interest.

Pinga:

Link 1 (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=138715&perpage=15&pagenumber=3)

Link 2 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128556[/url)

Link 3 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126017)

Link 4 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154132&perpage=15&pagenumber=2)

I notice on link one that Pinga seems to have a post deleted for having used more that one user name in one thread.

Lostconcern:

Link 1 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=134601)

Link 2 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=140927)

Link 3 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=144827)

Link 4 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=146098)

Link 5 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=134622)

Indeed in a similar way that Mr Fisher compared the situation in which the Visa situation was brought up, someone has helpfully brought up the fact that his airplanes are for sale. Indeed in a striking similarity, lostconcern has had more than one post on wether Delta are still approved or not for JAA groundschool. Well if you have a CPL already then you wouldn't need the groundschool, which makes me suspicous as to why your asking. I suppose it was just brought up for the greater good?

Lostconcern also seems to know about flight schools in Malaysia, I knew a guy who had spent a bit of time as a Flight instructor down that part of the world, again funny how a student supposedly trained in the US would have experience of a Malaysian flight school.

I also do wonder why two individuals who would appear to have been flight students in the past would have such knowledge of a companys previous operations in another part of Florida and which took place over a period of, say a year or two? Most students don't have that sort of in depth knowledge. So I wonder are they really students at all?

I wrote this post because I thought it was a pretty nasty shot at someone by probable competitors. The best of luck to everyone, Happy Christmas and New Year.

lostconcern
28th Dec 2004, 20:22
Hello
Dont know who you are talking about in reference to me. But to let you know I have met you and am currently a Irish resident, who, like you loves to troll the web, and point out interesting facts.

See you soon

PS its good to see Capt Fisher setting the mark straight, hopefully I will be there or at EFT this year to do my FI course. Once I save some more money of course. Not all of us out here have the luxury of loans from parents or getting them to be guarantor. So its back to work now.

Pinga
28th Dec 2004, 20:29
Ah, here come the conspiracy theories. You are a mile off M.N.T. I’ve no connection other than as a student and/or renter either now or in the past with any flight school in Florida or any other part of the globe for that matter! My nearest airport is Shoreham, Sussex. Mr. Fisher has like me been around for some time now but I’m not so old that my memory has gone!;)

BillieBob
28th Dec 2004, 22:33
...and, of course, we immediately believe everything that Pinga and lostconcern say, particularly given the posting history that Turkish so clearly points out. Anyone else notice the freudian slip?
who, like you loves to troll the web
We all know that there is more than one shark in the murky waters of South Florida, don't we?

My names Turkish
28th Dec 2004, 23:21
Pinga and Lost concern, to me your posting history speaks louder than anything I can say. I'm not going to get into a war of words again with anyone, I'm loosing enough hair as it is.

Not all of us out here have the luxury of loans from parents or getting them to be guarantor. So its back to work now. With the exception of Tony Drapers posts on organized religons PPRuNe doesn't usually get that big a laugh out of me! You'll have to try some much bigger sticks and stones than that. I am not ashamed about who I am or what/where I come from.

But to let you know I have met you and am currently a Irish resident

Fantastic, we should organise a mini Bash. Get together have a few drinks and exchange war stories. Although its funny that I still keep in contact almost weekly with my fellow country men from my Florida Days and your not one of them. Not to worry I'll see you at the bash!:ok:

offspring
26th Jan 2005, 16:41
To anyone who wants to gain PPL, CPL,FI and IR rating i can personally highly recommend IFTA in Florida.

With 100 hrs in my logbook I went to IFTA after finishing ATPL ground school and completed a CPL course, FI course and built hours to 200 in just 12 weeks. I passed my GFT and FI test first time.

I went back 12 months later and did my IR. Guess what, i passed first time.

This was possible due to the dedication and comminment by the Fischers who turn out a first class product.

Did I have any trouble with finances and the Fischers. Absolutely not.

Steven Fischer stated a price, I paid for it, and I got what I paid for and more.

If you are serious about trainng and go with the intention of succeeding and are willing to put the effort in you will get want you want and have a great time doing it.

The only problems I say with IFTA were from students who tried constantly to fly without paying.

Before all sceptics start the wise cracks I am not nor ever have been an employee of IFTA.

I am an airline pilot thanks to the Fischers

carbonfibre
26th Jan 2005, 21:55
Well

Its nice to see IFTA popping up again what would PPRUNE be without it.

As for a dodgy school i can say with an affirmative that this is the case, are you working there offspring?

Anyway when i asked to get my finances resolved with the aforementioned self styled Capt Chaos i never got results, got a lot of verbals though if i remember, and not the only student.

But you live and learn, those that go will learn but the hard way probably. They say no smoke without fire, it was stated

"No company can boast 100% customer satisfaction because we are only human"

Funny that, i dont see many other schools getting a ribbing on here, in fact i see more positive than destructive for most, so there must be something!!!

Well whatever you choose people, just remember, "get what you pay for"

Happy flying everyone:ok:

offspring
26th Jan 2005, 21:59
carbonfibre,

If you read my post I stated I do not nor have ever worked for IFTA.

I am just saying how it was for me.

To add to this there were five other CPL students on my course + 2 other FI students.

We all passed first time and went home very happy!!!

'I' in the sky
27th Jan 2005, 12:22
If you'd really been there I'm sure you'd have seen his name written often enough to know that it's actually Stephen Fisher !

Sensible
27th Jan 2005, 13:13
Or bothered to read the post from Stephen FISHER himself on 28 December and on this very thread believe it or not!!! :confused:

Hope I'm not at the back end of an aircraft flown by you if you are a commercial pilot as you claim in your profile. Your lack of attention to detail is very worrying!:(

candler
27th Jan 2005, 18:39
I have seen a lot of negative posts regarding IFTA,and i would like to add a few thoughts of my own.I worked at IFTA in 1997 as an FAA instructor.I found S FIsher to be a very good instructor he told it like he saw it.that may upset some people.I have been involved in 8 different flight schools in Ireland the UK and USA either as a student or as an instructor and every school has had some problems.Wherever you choose to go to flight school go there with a good attitude.personally i would avoid paying everything up front that way you have more leverage if there are any problems.If you choose to go to IFTA i am sure you will get good instruction, the weather is great and enjoy the flying. ps I have nothing to do with IFTA i have had no contact with them in seven years cheers KM

carbonfibre
27th Jan 2005, 21:41
Offspring

That is how it was for you, thats how it was for me and the other 6 students there, 4 irish and 2 RAF who were of the same opinion im sure there integrity is not in doubt?

Im sure you would understand my opinions when he puts people through for tests after a 170A that he admitted freely that the guy was not upto standard.

If hes that straight talking then he should not have forwarded this person for the test, but did, im sure that would narrow the time down for you, and if he cannot remember it was February 2002.

Candler, just for information i didnt say he wasnt a good instructor as i understand it he is very good, he just cannot run a business, poor communication, personal skills,all the extra stuff us so called "wannabees" should possess, accountancy, or should i say hes good at that, making peoples money go before they notice.

Well anyway good or bad, you are limited to your course of actions, even more so when you are away from home, like all here i can only go from experience and i found numerous flight schools which were far better, but you only know from trying them.

Good luck

:ok:

STEPHEN FISHER
12th Feb 2005, 14:08
Carbonfibre,

Your postings over many years have certainly been directed at harming IFTA. There are others that are also quick to respond to a legitimate request for information from the newcomers with bad things to say about IFTA.

A closer look will definatley highlight those who make pprune their daily fix and perhaps are solely intent on harming various training providers rather than give real advice.

For me, as my grey hair becomes more prevalent, I really do wonder why?

Whatever your personal expereince was with IFTA (of course my disadvantage is that I do not know who you really are), if either myself or my colleagues were at fault or if we did you any real harm, then I regret that.

The hundreds of satisfied customers that have trained at IFTA over the last 8 years that are too busy to post in this forum gives all of us at IFTA a sense of pride.

For those that do take the trouble of 'defending us' - thanks

As for carbonfibre, it would be great if you contacted me directly, I make you and anyone really interested a promise, that I will post any details of our conversation on this forum good or bad for IFTA (assuming you agree).

Regardless, we all get older and wiser, what might have happened in the past does not guarantee what will happen in the future!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Stephen Fisher
President, IFTA.

African Drunk
12th Feb 2005, 14:32
STEPHEN

Very interesting what you have to say but in my seven years in aviation I have met 20+ who directly have had bad experiences with you and that is just in the US not including your mess in cardiff and gloucester. You might have reformed but I think new wannabes are screwed enough by our industry without them taking the risk of your possible improvement. This however is not a comment about your flying instuction which is good but about how you run your business.

I also went to your school and when I was there 4 of us had problems caused by you/your organisation. There are FTO's that do not have to come on pprune to defend there record because they do not recieve all these negative comments. All FTO's might have one or two unhappy students but not on your scale.

I look on these forums due to the fact that I still do some work in flight training but also to try and stop future pilots falling into some of the traps thaqt I fell into.

ps I must feel strongly about this as I think this is the longest posting I have ever made.

STEPHEN FISHER
12th Feb 2005, 20:57
It feels strange having to call you African Drunk, but I don't have a choice, do I?

Your comment about how I run my business, interesting!

If you mean, a 100% safety record, highest standards of training, a most enviable first time pass record, surviving adversity (e.g. JAA harmonisation, 9-11 & the hurricanes of 2004) witnessing the bankruptcy of major companies who took students for thousands in the UK, watching several large companies come and go in the US with CAA/JAA training, and last but not least, having to endure certain personal attacks that forums like these allow - then I suppose I am very proud at the way in which the business has been run and been so successful.

Nevertheless, I have obviously upset you at some time in the past, and it seems at least 20+ of your friends - perhaps more!

What is lacking is a sense of fairness, I am perfectly willing to acknowledge that my way of doing things historically might be too abrasive for some - but your comments today do NOT reflect reality, and do NOT give wanabees a true sense of what is real.

The 2004 hurricanes completely destroyed our buildings some aircraft and to no small extent, dented our desire to go on in flight training - there are some who will gloat at that prospect!

Despite this, today, myself my wife and a small group of dedicated people, are busy completing training for a group of students who enrolled over a year ago, who paid all their monies by June 2004, who were due to complete training just as the hurricanes hit.

Post hurricanes, with all the logistical nightmares, the attraction of giving up was real, beleive me after 25 years in the industry it was attractive! But the right thing to do was to go on and not have them lose hope and potentially a lot of money!

So even though you feel justified in warning all potential prospects to stay well away from IFTA, if you are a genuine ex-customer, and now a professional pilot, I see no reason why we cannot settle our differences.

I agree, those genuine wanabees deserve good honest information - so why not start now?

As a matter of public record, the CAA have authorised me as a Flight Examiner for PPL, CPL, IR, and FI, the latter approval gained in 2004 - this would not happen if there was any doubt about my integrity & honesty in business or in my professional flying roles.

To those new students that continue to enroll at IFTA, they will be getting first class training and a no-nonsense approach to what is expected of them both financially and in their work ethic.

Since the collapse of SFT & others I understand why 50% of our customers pay as they go - that option has always been available, our competitors offer the same choice many of them at a higher price - so I still wonder where the real problems lies!

I posted some weeks ago a response which was critical of the potentail of this forum to put off customers to such an extent that the industry and the customers are harmed - choice is all important - after all where would the wannabees be if the US option wasn't fought for and won in 1995 & 1999 by me as a pioneer and others that followed - 60,000 pounds per course I would hasten to answer.

Today customers can get the equivalent at EFT for only $59,000, and at IFTA for slightly less than that - so even those that in the past complained about a $250 fee for the examiner to be avialalble for them to test, were far better-off.

I see a recent a posting that discourages people from coming to the US because of the TSA - what next?

I remain avaialble to anyone who wants to talk to me directly about any issues.

Stephen Fisher
President, IFTA

pilot69
12th Feb 2005, 22:05
Hi there,

It is very rare that I take/have time to post any relpies on these pages but have been reading negative comments about IFTA for a long time and am always surprised by the comments made!!

I read with great interest your replies Stephen and I do back the great majority of what you say.
Fair play mate.
And before the conspiracy theories start-yes I was employed at IFTA as a (young) instructor through 2003 (Hi there to everyone who knows me-hope you're all well!)

The reason for my post is merely to encourage any prospective students to overlook any of these personal problems people may have with Capt Fisher and take an informed view of the school and training on offer. Im sure the majority of people who have done any training will back me on the thorough and professional instruction offered at a price that is unlikely to be matched here in the UK.
Some people might want more than that but hey..... I went to get the courses first time at a decent price and it worked for me!!

I respect Stephen's training methods although if you want to be spoon fed and be treat like the sun shines out of your a*se then do your FI course somewhere else. He's guna tell it like it is (and I can vouch for that!)
However if you do want a damn good course then speak to Capt F.

I for one sincerely hope that the school does carry on trading and I look forward to hearing the future plans they have.

Hope to hear good things from sunny Stuart, Fl soon.

seatrumpeter
14th Feb 2005, 04:19
Stephen,
I was thinking of you guys during the hurricane - glad to hear the business survived and more importantly that everyone is OK.

I attended IFTA in late 2001 and early 2002. Despite a crazy series of setbacks (this was just after 9/11) including the airport being closed for several days due to being 9.9 miles away from a nuclear power plant and having a ten mile restriction cut right through the airport...) I got my training CPL and Multi IR done on time and actually ahead of budget. The instructors and Steven came in on days off, early and late etc. to help us all catch up on the time we lost due to the airport being closed.

The instructors were the best I've flown with (is Roy still with you? If not, what is he up to?) I was a 1000+ hour pilot at the time but I still learned more in my almost three weeks there than in the previous 1000hrs of flying. I flew with Steven only once but there was no doubt about his instruction ability.

Anyway, I work for a large US airline now and you can feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about IFTA. If I needed more JAA training I would go back to IFTA. (Not paid by, employed by, friends with or otherwise related to anyone at IFTA, just a satisfied customer and when I see all the bashing I feel compelled to post).

Seatrump.

African Drunk
20th Feb 2005, 17:48
"As a matter of public record, the CAA have authorised me as a Flight Examiner for PPL, CPL, IR, and FI, the latter approval gained in 2004 - this would not happen if there was any doubt about my integrity & honesty in business or in my professional flying roles." Without being too cynical the CAA is more interested in your ability to pay the large amounts necessary to achieve these rating's rather than your integrity & honesty. I am also an IRE/CRE etc and the CAA system for accepting us says nothing about our character.

"witnessing the bankruptcy of major companies who took students for thousands in the UK" + "Since the collapse of SFT & others I understand why 50% of our customers pay as they go". Yes I would recomend that no student ever pays up front to a FTO. But you have twice gone bankrupt in the UK at Staverton and Cardiff taking students for money( what was the newspaper headline in a south wales paper "Does this man owe you money"). That hardly says much for buisness ability.

"I am perfectly willing to acknowledge that my way of doing things historically might be too abrasive for some". Stephen that for me is not the issue, in my particular case it was the money you tried to take off my credit card after I left the US( I am quite happy to get details from the credit card company if moderators would like.) For me the other people I know I think you could have been as abrasive as you like if you provided the service you advertise.

I stand by my original point that many FTO's do not have to come on here and defend themselves as they do provide a reasonable service.

jonathon_mickelson
20th Feb 2005, 19:33
Just back from a fact finding mission to Florida with a friend, we were told by a couple if people that IFTA is closing down now and the owner is running the business out of his home in Vero Beach and only doing Instructor rating courses from there. We were told that if we could find the IFTA offices at Stuart it would be a waste of time because of this.