PDA

View Full Version : Have I made the right choice??

birdlady
18th Dec 2004, 19:48
Hello All,

I have decided after much humming and hawing to do my South African CPL as opposed to the JAA. I actually left SA three months ago and returned to Ireland. I got back to SA yesterday and plan to stay here indefinately. I really hope Ive made the right choice in returning here and doing my CPL here. I just could not hack the weather in Ireland and just could not afford to live there let alone have enough money to complete my CPL. What I plan to do is complete my CPL here along with my instructors rating and then once I have enough hours return to Ireland and hopefully get a job over there. A bit optimistic I suppose but if Im not mistaken once you have a full ICAO ATPL you can convert to JAA ATPL after 15 hours for IR and the JAA ground school has been completed. Anyone feel free to butt in here and correct me if Im wrong.
South Africa is my home now, and hopefully Ive made the right choice. Will have to work on the work permit though. Is there anyone who's come over here done the training and got that elusive work permit?? Any advice on the choice Ive made would be a great help.

Thanks
Ciao
BL. :confused: :confused: :confused:

spitfire747
18th Dec 2004, 19:57
if moving back to SA has made you happy then the question is answered.

Converting your SA ATPL to a JAA ATPL should be no more difficult than the conversion of the FAA ATP which is common.

Good Luck :ok:

flyndad
19th Dec 2004, 16:59
It all depends on where you see yourself in 10 years. I moved to Canada from the UK about 7 years ago with the intention of flying Commercially. I obtained my CPL and Instructor rating soon after.
The opportunities over here are not brilliant at the best of times but you also have to look at the other things in life such as standard of living, things to do in your spare time and the general pace of life.
I have a non aviation related job as as part time Instructing which suits me just fine and I love having that extra security as we all know the aviation industry is turbulent at the best of times.
Anyway, I hope this helps and in the meantime enjoy South Africa.