PDA

View Full Version : Australia

marco gavazzi
18th Dec 2004, 10:52
Hi Guys
Could anyone, please, tell me a cheap place to build some hours on SEP in OZ, possibly around Sydney.
I found few but they sound still high to be OZ.
Thank you

redsnail
18th Dec 2004, 11:15
Since you didn't name who you've spoken to then I hope I am not duplicating the effort.
I'd look at Aerospace Aviation at Bankstown. I know the owner very well. You'll probably have to do a couple of hours dual just to get the hang of heading north without infringing Sydney CTA or Richmond CTA (mil).
If you have wheels, then I'd pop out to Hoxton Park and see Liverpool Flying School. Ask for Rene. He's the boss and a good bloke. They don't have a tower there so you can get on with it rather than wait in line. Again, you'll probably need an hour or two dual to get up to speed.
Aerospace Aviation (http://www.aerospaceaviation.com/)
Liverpool Flying School (http://www.liverpoolflyingschool.com.au/)

Remember, cheap isn't always the best. You should have a look at CASA (http://www.casa.gov.au/) for what you'll need to fly in Australia. Definitely do that early because now the paper work is horrendous.

no sponsor
18th Dec 2004, 15:31
Thank you redsnail for posting that. I had no idea things had changed in the last 20 months. Do you have any idea how long the process will take? Last time I presented my licence for an ARN it took 24 hrs at Bankstown - do you know how long that process takes now?

redsnail
18th Dec 2004, 15:42
I have no idea now. I have both licenses and so never worry about it. Try asking "Charlie Foxtrot India" on this site. She's a Brit in Perth (WA) with her own school. She's probably more up to speed than I am about foreign license validations.
As with any thing, check the CASA website to see exactly what you need.

UnderneathTheRadar
20th Dec 2004, 08:49
Don't quote me but I'm fairly sure that if you already have an ARN then there should be no problems - the big delays are in issuing initial SPLs to non-residents as per the US these days.

UTR.

PS If you're Melbourne way I can highly recommend T.V.S.A next to the control tower at Moorabbin or at their own airfield in Bacchus Marsh (no landing fees!). Althought Melbourne weather isn't always brilliant if you're time limited then you're less likely to get hemmed in by the mountains as you do in Sydney because you can skirt around the coast via Geelong and then head north. Melbourne also has Tasmania (great fun in a SEP over all that water), Canberra & Adelaide as an easy day's flight away if you're sightseeing. PM me for any more info required - and no I'm not connected to TVSA other than as a customer.

Meeb
20th Dec 2004, 16:18
Reddo... trust you to recommend a place called "Liverpool"... :D

Good luck next month... ;)

redsnail
20th Dec 2004, 17:41
Yeah I know. However, this Liverpool is much better run and managed than you know where. A "personal touch" school where the instructors are well supervised and PPL flying is definitely encouraged. Esp if you want to do aerobatics and the like. They do teach more than "just the syllabus". Little tips and tricks to make you a well rounded pilot.

Cheers, January should be ok, looking forward to it. :D