PDA

View Full Version : BA Service Pilot Hold Pool

Woolfgang
17th Dec 2004, 19:10
British Airways is recruiting for its "service pilot hold pool." The requirements are 1500 hrs on an MOD aircraft, must be within 2 years of immediate pension point or exit date, and a member of Managed Path or RAFCAR schemes. You do not need an ATPL or CPL to apply. Has anybody heard of Managed Path/RAFCAR or know what these terms mean?

www.britishairwaysjobs.com

Woolfgang

P-T-Gamekeeper
17th Dec 2004, 21:51
Never heard of RAFCAR. I have heard talk of managed path, but never knew it actually existed. I believe it is a system where qualifying mil pilots can apply to BA in advance of their exit dates, and get "pooled" awaiting release from the RAF, to be picked up as suits BA. This obviously suits BA, as it allows them to plan courses in advance.

The MOD seems to have forgotten to tell us all about this. Wonder why?????? I am due out in 2 ish years - this sounds interesting!!!! Shame VS don't have a scheme like this.

The BA website seems to indicate this is the only DEP recruitment happening at the moment. I guess all those 777 slots are full now they are taking non-TR guys.

As I understand it, you don't need an ATPL to apply, but will need to have completed it prior to your exit date.

BEagle
17th Dec 2004, 22:20
RAFCAR presumably means the old RAFCAS scheme.

jayteeto
18th Dec 2004, 06:56
RAFCARS (RAF Civil Airlines Recruitement Scheme) has been going for years, I was a member in 2000. An Innsworth Wg Cdr used to produce a regular newsletter and attend seminars such as BALPA, then send a newsletter out to members. If you used to £10,000 LINKUP system before the FRI, you were automatically registered. Others just filled in a simple form and joined. The system was excellent and informative, supposedly sending out a regular list of aircrew approaching their exit dates to participating airlines. It was regularly advertised in all the usual crewroom journals, so there is no excuse for saying 'why didn't anyone let us know?'
The BA scheme has been in existence in one shape or form for years as well, also well advertised in the service and here on PPrune. Mind you, a question went out a while back to say has anyone been offered a job by either of these systems and there was very little feedback. It did transpire that the companies used the RAFCARS system to verify identities and experience levels of ex service applications.

The Ferret
18th Dec 2004, 07:52
As an aside - please note that RAFCARS, despite having RAF in its title also applies across all 3 Services, as did Link Up before it was replaced by the FRI Initiatives.:ok: :ok:

Megaton
18th Dec 2004, 07:57
John Monks from BA briefed Managed Path at the BALPA Conference couple of months back. My understanding is that it will be for short haul Airbus or 737 only.

P-T-Gamekeeper
18th Dec 2004, 09:18
What makes you say that? Is it just your view, or do you have any info on that.

I know quite a few mil ME guys who have just been taken on by BA for 777 early next year.

I guess fleet will depend on previous type and experience, but cant see why managed path would not lead to LH for the right guys.

BEagle
18th Dec 2004, 10:29
"I guess fleet will depend on previous type and experience, but cant see why managed path would not lead to LH for the right guys"

BALPA!

anoxic
18th Dec 2004, 10:59
"I guess fleet will depend on previous type and experience, but cant see why managed path would not lead to LH for the right guys"

....in 12 to 15 years time.

P-T-Gamekeeper
18th Dec 2004, 18:45
LH (longhaul) not LHS(Left hand seat). Obviously too subtle a difference.

I am well aware that everybody starts at the same level, but surely fleet type is experience dependant.

Farfrompuken
18th Dec 2004, 20:42
If you're within 5 years currency of heavy multi experience, Long Haul is definately an option.

No Multi currency = Short haul.

Have found no reference to RAFCARS or Managed Path through the RAF, only sources at BA confirming the details from John Monks for me.

Have heard rumours Virgin will start a similar scheme.

snafu
4th Jan 2005, 21:14
Does anyone know if it is possible to join this system now? If so, how do you do it?

Tandemrotor
4th Jan 2005, 21:33
snafu

I posted something on the VS thread which may be of interest to you.

Sadly these days, anyone retiring from the RAF needs to have very well thought out reasons for putting BA anywhere near the top of their wish list!

The picture regarding retirement ages, should become clearer in the next 12 months or so, but may mean 15 years to any command, and possibly 20 to a LH LHS.

Do you really want to be a 50 year old copilot?

Even these figures may be optimistic!