PDA

View Full Version : HP Lasers and Gone Batts Revisited

Loose rivets
17th Dec 2004, 06:50
Hi again.

I have been given a HP laser jet 4 Plus, and have been told that these oldies are better than a lot of the newer kit. I have quite a lot of printing to do, and have been dismayed at the speed at which the Epson ink disappears. IYO Is it worth shelling out $90 for a new cartridge, or is this kit outdated? (I do not have the old one.)

Incidentally, re Gone Batts, I got my battery going by robbing one of the parallel cells and putting it in series where two had failed. The onboad electronics is still displaying 100% wear, and the peak current will be diminished, but it will at least get through security now! Cost so far .0000001 cents for solder...if you don't count the couple of hours fluffing about. :8

Agent86
17th Dec 2004, 08:27
I have had a LJ4+ and upsized to a 4V (A3 or 11"x17" for you).

When you do a lot of printing in B&W you can't go past a laser for cost per page.

Be cautious about buying a cheap refilled toner as sometimes the older printers have a bit of wear in the gears and don't like the cartridge.

Not sure what the price for the toner is in the US but here in Aus a remanfactured toner good for 4000 odd pages costs around Au$80 or US$60.

It can be worth taking these old printers apart and giving them a good cleanout especially the rubber rollers.

I have heard of someone putting all the plastic components in the dishwasher :D came up a treat!

MAx

Loose rivets
18th Dec 2004, 07:14
Yep, I need to clean it. The reason that I am without the cartridge is that I shook it too vigorously. Not sure about the dishwasher though.

$US does not sound too bad, I think the Staples price here is a little more...I'll probably give it a go.

TR4A
18th Dec 2004, 17:25
I have LJ4. I have had it since new (1993). Can't beat the cost per page over a Inkjet. The only major problem I have had is the Accordion Jam. This is caused by the output rollers not picking up the paper and causes the accordion look. You can get a repair kit to replace the rollers.

If you need parts the Laser Guys are great.

http://thelaserguys.com/

Loose rivets
19th Dec 2004, 00:42
Thanks again. Have put link into Favorites.
Nice to hear from someone that knows where they are;)