PDA

View Full Version : tactical approach

max6462
16th Dec 2004, 13:10
Hi guys,
I might piss off some of you, but anyone has an advise on how to conduct the "safest " type of approach for a turboprop in a place like Baghdad?
I am flying to Irak for a cargo operator (not very happy about it...)
and not a single information is provided to us with no military background.
Any info welcome!
Right now, we are showing up at 10000 AGl and spiral turn down to the numbers, which I find a bit stupid, allowing plenty of time for any #%# to aim at us I guess.
Many thanks.

keithl
16th Dec 2004, 13:16
Surely, if anyone answered it would no longer BE "the safest type of approach..."??

16 blades
16th Dec 2004, 13:39
Max, I'm afraid keithl is right - discussing tactics in an open forum would be strictly verboten. However, IMHO the old 'spiral of death' is not wise, for the reasons you alluded to. I'm afraid I can offer no further advice than this, even by PM or other means.

16B

Mad_Mark
16th Dec 2004, 14:17
It was my understanding, from serving in that theatre, that all civilian aircraft operators that needed to fly in and out of those potentially hostile airfields were given advice on such operations.

If you genuinely are in need of tactical advice I suggest you approach your company and ensure they seek it from official sources.

MadMark!!! :mad:

juliet
16th Dec 2004, 14:21
max, from your post i take it that you are already flying into baghdad or some other in theatre airfield. nobody is going to give you info on this forum for the reasons already given. however, if you go and chat to pilots of mil aircraft on the ground im sure they will be able to help you out. (ideally the brits if you can) may mean a bit of a delay while you track someone down but will be worth it.

truckiebloke
16th Dec 2004, 15:07
max

seeing as you are either stupidly naive, a journalist or someone who we shouldnt be talking to here is my best advice...

hang around in the over head for as long as possible and get there by the same predictable path everytime.... that way its one less thing for me to worry about!!

happy flying(ever actually been in an aircraft??)

:ok: :ok:

airborne_artist
16th Dec 2004, 15:17
There was a very illuminating thread on just this topic running on Pprune a while ago - you can read it here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129242&highlight=herky+baghdad) ;-)

max6462
17th Dec 2004, 12:03
Guys,
Thank for your replies anyways.
I never was, of course, expecting to get sensitive information about military tactics, for you are big pros, would not reveal what makes you safe and I have the biggest respect for it.
Mad Mark, no, I am afraid that none of the civil operators going there right now have any kind of info or training on how to conduct operation in such theatre.
Some operating there, don't have even charts, IAP, frequencies believe it or not! (no comment...)
16 blades, thank you for confirming my idea about that spiral of death.
truckiebloke, I was expecting such a reaction from someone. It makes complete sense, can't blame you. However, I will still try not to come on the same predictable path every time...;)
Thanks for telling me what not to do!:ok:
To all of you: Be aware that they are civilians flying to Irak on a daily basis, whether we like it or not (that's politics then...don't want to get into that).
We provide some support and might need to be supported one day, don't disgrace us to quick...
Thank you all for your answers.

stillin1
17th Dec 2004, 12:28
Working on the premis that you just may be for real.
I really do suggest that you "talk" to your local or national military trukkie drivers to seek their advice direct (asap). I personally would also be looking for a job with another company asap since the one you have got doesn't seem to give a rat's ar*e:\ The procedure you are using now is punk!:uhoh:

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Dec 2004, 17:34
Do a search on the African Aviation forum. There are a lot of SA contractors operating in the area and they may be able to supply more info via pm once they've established your credentials or you may be able to contact their crews in the theatre of operations directly.

max6462
18th Dec 2004, 09:12
Thanks Soilidrusr, i'll try that.
Stillin, Believe me, can t wait to get another job...I don't feel lke flying north of "Tamim" is a career plan :hmm: .

VP8
18th Dec 2004, 18:27
We fly the AN124 and AN22 (Turboprop) into BGW on a regular basis......have you tried looking at the Iraq AIP??? see on this link

http://ramcc.dtic.mil/iraq.htm

VEEPS:ok:

SASless
18th Dec 2004, 21:35
Am I missing sumpin here? While standing on the tarmac in Baghdad....why not wander over to some of the other bored observers of the unloading process (especially the ones wearing military flying suits) and make parley with them. In that they are stood on the same bit of tarmac...as is our hero here....it would appear very simple to catch up on the pukka gen firsthand. Or am I missing something?:{

Red Line Entry
18th Dec 2004, 22:36
Max,

Out of curiosity, is there no "q" key on your keyboard. Or has old George Dubya now made it official that the country is to be called "eyerak" and spelt appropriately! (Hate to see you off track into Quwait, Kutar or the United Qingdom!)

max6462
18th Dec 2004, 23:53
Oups,
Good "katch" ! ;)