PDA

View Full Version : Australian EGPWS requirements.

Blip
16th Dec 2004, 05:50
Simple question. Can a B737 be dispatched under Australian regulations while the EGPWS is unservicable, but the older non-predictive GPWS component is servicable.

Is the predictive component of GPWS a luxury or is it a minimum requirement?

AIP: page GEN 1.5 - 7 ( and Jeppesen: Air Traffic Control page AU-509) says it is a requirement to have predictive capability unless CAO 20.18 para 9.1CA applies. Otherwise the non-predictive GPWS is all that is required until 30 June 2005.

CAO 20.18 para 9.1CA and the AIP refers to CAO 108.36.
CAO 108.36 refers to Specification No 14 issue: "Ground Proximity Warning Systems" of the United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority. This specification only requires the old non-predictive capabilities. (see:http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CASpec14.pdf)

I've read CAO 20.18 para 9.1CA and I'll be b#ggered if I can work out whether or not there is dispensation for B737 operations or not.

para 9.1CA (b) says:

"Up to the end of June 2005, an aeroplane may be fitted with a section 108.36 (non-predictive) GPWS if the aeroplane first becomes an Australian aeroplane on or after 1 January 2001."

So does that mean the older classic B737's that have been around for ages must have EGPWS but the newer NG's that joined the fleet in 2002 and later do not?? That concept makes no sense to me.

I want to understand, however I just can't get my head around the wording and intention of the regulations.

I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.

:confused:

Blip
20th Dec 2004, 12:41
Hmmm.

The question is either:

a) Too esoteric; or

b) Too boring.

Oh well.

Iakklat
21st Dec 2004, 04:17
I thought it would be pretty simple?
What does the MEL say?:ok:

Blip
21st Dec 2004, 12:01
Ah someone does care after all!

The MEL seems to be a little ambiguous and open to interpretation. It says "EGPWS/GPWS" may be unservicable for a period of 24 hours.

So if the GPWS is servicable, some interperet the MEL to mean that it is OK to continue without restriction.

I beg to differ.

Flybob
25th Dec 2004, 13:14
Dear Sir / Madam,
I think you might be over complicating the issue slightly.
The regulations outline the requirement for standard equipment, not "minimums required for a Maintenance deviation despatch". Your instance is relative to MEL item only. In this respect it is "and / or".
I understand this to be an "A" item. You are allowed to despatch for 24 hours with either Both parts of the same system out or just GPWS operational. Lets face it you wont get just the "E" part working on its own.
I hope this answers your question.
Best regards, and happy holidays.