PDA

View Full Version : Avdata and supersonic bugsmashas

Maximus B
15th Dec 2004, 19:51
Avdata bill arrived the other day. Usual long list of places me and my plane have never been that Avdata refuse to purge. Sneaky attempts to illegally and imorally charge for P-NPAs and one beauty where my little 120 knot machine traversed most airports in NSW in one day.

Be careful folks, this mob take little care, don't seem to listen and it appears to me profit from those to busy to check.

You DO NOT have to pay for NPAs unless you land.

Tell em to get stuffed!

Max

SsaKcaj
15th Dec 2004, 22:36
Exactly the same thing happens if you transit a CTAF/MBZ, even if the first thing you say is 'transiting 4nm to the south' or something similar.

They are hopeless. I wonder how many bigger operators are forking out for lots of landing fees that they never should get?

We had 4 landing fees for a particular aerodrome in one day and the aircraft didn't even fly that day??

Pharcarnell
16th Dec 2004, 02:12
Perhaps these blatant attempts to con the a/c owners out of their hard earned could be presented to the powers that be and have avdata done for attempted mail fraud, if there is such a charge in Oz.

Maybe the legally enlightened could postlate on this.

A few severely worded, threatening (in a legal sense) letters to avdata might (small hope I know) make them do more homework before sending out these obviously flawed demands for payment.

I suspect, and this is a non legal, personal observation, that the continued harrassment of law abiding citizens by avdata would be an offence somewhere in the books.

Pharc

185skywagon
16th Dec 2004, 02:35
i am not in the habit of defending monopolies. i too have recieved invoices for places i never been. i have contacted Avdata on these occasions, and have had no trouble getting a reversal. i usually fax a timesheet showing that the aircraft could not have possibly been at the disputed location. it pays, however, to go over your invoice with a fine tooth comb. i have heard other aircraft using the wrong callsign on purpose to avoid these charges. that also sucks.

Islander Jock
16th Dec 2004, 04:39
185Skywagon is correct. Avdata have never refused to credit a disputed entry on our ladnding fees. Their billing accuracy though is only as good as the data fed into the system. Unfortunately, that data is usually corrupted by pilots stealing a service by transmitting someone elses callsign, no callsign or just identifying themselves by "All stations C172 5nm to West inbound - blah blah".

I would suggest Avdata and in turn the aerodrome operators will only put up with this for so long. If every person decides they want to get out of landing fees by simply disputing the Avdata account then just maybe a more robust (read EXPENSIVE) system of verification will be implemented and guess who is going to pay for that!

helldog
16th Dec 2004, 04:56
I used fly with a dude in the NT that would leave little messages for Avdata, something like this "This is for you Avdata boys" Followed by a rustling sound as the hand mic was forced between the seat and his @rse, followed by a ripper of a fart.

Sunfish
16th Dec 2004, 19:11
wouldn't ADS-B fix this little problem?

185skywagon
16th Dec 2004, 21:11
quite a few rural airports in Qld have an Aerodrome reporting officer, who records movements visually or by monitoring the Ctaf. At the very least, our guy in Charleville will often cross reference stuff on the avdata tape, with what he has seen. Longreach is the same. your chances of avoiding the fee are small even if you use another rego.
on another matter; as a ratepayer in our shire, i mildly object to the payment of fees for my use of the airport, which is owned by the shire, and is there as public infrastructure. however, the shire offers us a flat rate $300/year fee. i can live with this, but i would like to see concessions made for visting or touring aircraft. we are working on it.
have a good chrissy.

bushy
18th Dec 2004, 11:13
My piper lance also can do supersonic speeds. It flew about 4000 km to Bankstown and back one day. And it didn't even have a pilot???
Radios are for safety purposes. They are not a commercial tool.