PDA

View Full Version : Australian/UK log books

UnderneathTheRadar
15th Dec 2004, 12:18
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the situation is with logbooks when converting an Oz PPL into (hopefully) a JAR CPL/fATPL.

Can I keep using my CASA logbook?
Do I need to somehow transcribe my Oz logbook into a UK one?
Or do I just start on a UK logbook now and carry the Oz one around with me?

Any help gratefully recieved.

PS - as well as the legal requirements will future employers actually get picky about logbook neatness in an employment situation?

Regards,

UTR

redsnail
15th Dec 2004, 13:14
I can't see any reason not to. I just carried on using my Oz log book till it was full. :)
No employer has commented on it's messiness or any thing. They like looking at the photos.

Tinstaafl
15th Dec 2004, 15:04
I continued to use my Oz log book. CAA & employer never even blinked. Conveniently I finished it on my last working day there. Now I'm starting another Oz book here in the US. No one worried about an Oz log book years ago when I got a US ATP, and no one worried when I added US floaties to it a couple of months ago.

BillieBob
15th Dec 2004, 16:03
There is nothing in the UK Air Navigation Order that requires any particular style of logbook, provided that the necessary information is recorded.

However, in a couple of years time, EASA will take over from the JAA and enshrine the contents of JAR-FCL into European law, which supersedes national law in all EU member states. This means that, where there is a conflict between the UK ANO and EASA standards, the EASA standards will be supreme, which may impact on the design and content of a pilot logbook acceptable in Europe.

UnderneathTheRadar
15th Dec 2004, 16:57
Thanks gents (or hand -and-other-kinds-of - maidens),

Thats at least £10 saved on the long road.....

UTR.