PDA

View Full Version : Not just the Navy then....

Mr C Hinecap
15th Dec 2004, 08:46
Funnily enough, this story was pointed out to me by a Matlow.....

From The Sun - so the hype and wording used is just out there. Makes me wonder how I'll word my CV when I leave!

AN RAF chief has faced the humiliation of being ordered home from a secret mission — to be arrested over alleged bullying and corruption.

Wing Commander Nigel Gorman was summoned back from America — where he was working on a special forces project.

The officer, who faces a grilling over THIRTY accusations made by his staff, was arrested within hours of returning to the UK.

He was also removed from commanding the MoD’s elite parachute training school based at Brize Norton in Oxfordshire.

The scandal emerged just a day after The Sun revealed warship captain Commander David Axon had been booted off his Royal Navy frigate amid allegations of bullying.

Last night an RAF source said: “Gorman is the sort of man you either love or hate. He’s a strong personality and a talented officer.

“But he has made his fair share of enemies over the years. It looks like they’re now coming back to haunt him.”

RAF sources revealed investigators have compiled a dossier on the wing commander, who is in his 40s. It is said to include claims of intimidation, sexual harassment, bullying and cronyism. The officer is also alleged to have misappropriated service vehicles for his personal use.

The Sun was told the accusations came from a number of officers and other ranks under Gorman’s command — ranging from squadron leader down to instructing sergeants.

Yesterday the RAF refused to comment on one suggestion made to The Sun that Gorman had “borrowed” official cars to go on holiday in France. Officially, the wing commander remains commanding officer of No1 Parachute Training School. But since his arrest he has been moved to a low profile job at RAF Innsworth until the investigation is completed.

If convicted of any serious charges, Wing Cdr Gorman would be thrown out of the RAF in disgrace. He could even face jail.

The wing commander, who earns £60,000 a year, was part of a US Air Force special forces project in California when he was ordered back a fortnight ago. It is virtually unheard of for commanders to be relieved early under a cloud while in the middle of operations - especially missions as sensitive as Wing Cdr Gorman’s.

An RAF spokeswoman said last night: “We can confirm that the officer concerned returned early from detachment in the USA because of the nature of the allegations.

“It was deemed to be in the best interests of all the personnel concerned.” As head of No1 Parachute Training School, the wing commander is in charge of 13 officers and 60 senior NCO instructors.

One of his key roles is teaching SAS and Special Boat Service commandos to skydive from high altitude. Men under him have also been sent to support clandestine operations in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Last night his defenders insisted the allegations stemmed from a long-standing grudge by certain staff.

An RAF source revealed military cops were probing suggestions that witnesses were even leaned on to give evidence against him.

Wing Cdr Gorman was tight-lipped at the £400,000 detached home he shares with wife Kylie in Witney, Oxfordshire. He said as he returned from walking the family’s dog Pepsi: “I’ve absolutely nothing to say.”

Sounds like someone bubbled this to the paper in a big way.

JessTheDog
15th Dec 2004, 09:15
Just think how the Scottish Air Marshal would have fared if he still had to deal with "normal" people!:E

DuckDodgers
15th Dec 2004, 09:29
Is this the same fella who was COS at al-Udeid on TELIC 1?

rivetjoint
15th Dec 2004, 09:47
Obviously his mission wasn't secret enough to let the Sun get in the way of a good story?

bosskite
15th Dec 2004, 10:16
Nothing but the highest regard for the bloke. From my (recent) viewpoint, he plays a hard game but is one of the most highly self-disciplined and fair characters I have come across.

BK

AlanM
15th Dec 2004, 10:37
he shares with wife Kylie

Surely not the Kylie with the pert ar$e??

respect

flygunz
15th Dec 2004, 10:52
Seems to me that the left wing liberal pinko transexual bed wetting gender changing ass licking fraternity of the RAF has identified that oh so rare of commodities... a natural leader. Can't have that in this caring sharing politically correct don't shout at me military world now can we?

:{

tony draper
15th Dec 2004, 11:14
Hee hee, one admirers yer turn of phrase Mr Flyguns.

:rolleyes:

Low Ball
15th Dec 2004, 11:22
Come on Gunz you don't want to shilly shally around and mince your words just tell us how it really is.

Is this part of your cv portfolio to get a job with the Sun?

LB

JessTheDog
15th Dec 2004, 11:50
A nice plum posting to Nellis or wherever?!?

There must have been a lengthy queue of people waiting to grass him up for all sorts of offences from having his hand in the till to swinging nearly-naked from the Mess chandelier in a pink tutu. :E

DuckDodgers
15th Dec 2004, 12:18
Hope the Sun journos were not at Nellis on our last RED FLAG, hmmm better hide ALL the evidence....

Big Cat Handler
15th Dec 2004, 19:33
Since when was swinging nearly-naked from the Mess chandelier in a pink tutu an offence? I thought it was a requirement for promotion!

BCH

bowly
15th Dec 2004, 19:49
I actually hope the Sun journos WERE out there on the recent RED FLAGS. Did you experience the farce that was the "suitable accomodation"

And they wonder why morale is so low.........

16 blades
15th Dec 2004, 20:05
Things of this nature, and the Navy chap's behaviour, simply CANNOT be tolerated in today's modern, flexible, ready-for-the-21st-century forces. These kind of qualities are totally undesirable in senior officers in this day and age. Both of these men should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves, and qualities such as these ought to continue to be expunged from all 3 services with expedience. There is a word to describe the way in which these two acted. That word is:

LEADERSHIP!

....a quality that has no place in today's armed forces.

snafu
16th Dec 2004, 11:06
Look like there's a CO job available...

BBC Reports CO of HMS SOMERSET permanently relieved of Command (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4100915.stm)