PDA

View Full Version : KJFK-KLAX-NZAA trip and what to expect

the flop
15th Dec 2004, 05:35
on the 24th of december, I will be flying for the first time on a 744 from jfk to auckland via lax. I will be flying Qantas, and was wondering if the pilots might be able to give me some items to remember the trip by (it will be christmas, after all). Namely the fuel load sheet, pacific route map, waypoint list etc. when I flew from paris back to jfk, the captain gave me all his flight paperwork, which I thought was quite nice. Also, I always make it a point to chat with the pilots before the flight, but these have always been on US carriers. What are the chances of getting a tour of the flight deck?. also, what are the chances the plane will be full on christmas eve going to new zealand? any info would be great. thanks

flop

davethelimey
15th Dec 2004, 08:29
There might be a chance of getting such things once the flight is landed. Don't even think about asking before hand unless you're particularly interested in discovering what an airport interrogation room looks like.

Byrna
19th Dec 2004, 15:16
Hello flop,
As a passanger, I was on a WestJet flight from Montreal to Puerto Vallarta for my vacation last summer - the rules are that the cockpit is LOCKED until you are at the gate at which point you can acually see how the captain and first officer even look like. New security / safety rules... *sigh* We are now all victims of 911, huh?

What I would give to see the cockpit and actually be there (if this is even possible before 91101) during the descent, approach and landing. As a flightsimmer of the 747-200 and -400 as well as the 737-700, I certainly would love to see the actually procedures of the landing portion, which is definitely the most challenging part of a flight (not counting turbulance at take-off like the one which may have caused the American Airlines crash of November 2001).

But to answer your question - the captain and first officer were glad to answer my question after landing at the gate and even allowed me to take a quick glance into the cockpit. I was amazed at how I could actually recongnize all the major flight instruments, thanks to the great realism of the panels made for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 which I use.

Have a great trip. I wish I could go too... *sniff*

John
Montreal, Canada

PaperTiger
20th Dec 2004, 19:56
JFK to LAX is a Qantas codeshare. You'll actually be on an American 762 for that leg.