PDA

View Full Version : Sea Harrier FRS1 Info

Ivank
13th Dec 2004, 02:12
Greetings Gents.

I am involved in a PC combat Flight Sim being developed to re create the Falklands War scenario. I am trying to get some info on the Sea Harrier FRS1 HUD symbology and modes. There is a lack of any real info out there on the net. Ideally I am after some drawings that describe the various mode related symbology in enough detail to be able to re produce this on a PC.

Together with the Sea Harrier FRS1 the GR3 is being modelled as well so GR3 info would be equally handy.

If any one could help please get in touch

[email protected]

Navaleye
13th Dec 2004, 08:56
I'm not sure how many takers you'll get on this subject. There are a few documentaries kicking around on the Falklands war that show some ACM between FRS.1s which look through the HUD. I may have one that might fit your bill, if I find it I'll let you know. One or two parts the display are greyed out, but you should get the general idea. If I can't help a look at Amazon's site should generate some results.

Ivank
13th Dec 2004, 09:45
Thanks Navaleye. Not after any of the classified stuff (Range info etc intelligent guesstimations will be made here) just the main symbology and differances between modes etc. The aim is to represent the systems as accurately as possible. The trouble with commercial video/DVD is lack of hard detail. The Sim aims to represent the avionics as truthfully as possible even down to symbology size etc.

My background is Mirage III (Colonial) so I am happy with this end of the house :)

althenick
13th Dec 2004, 13:29
Ivan,
I take it that this will be a Full Combat Flight sim package in its own right and not a bolt on fro fs2004/cfs2 or 3 etc. I reckon the detail
on this package would be acceptable???? (http://www.flightsimisland.com/products/cd7085/) or try

http://www.harrier.org.uk - a really good website

Navaleye
13th Dec 2004, 18:56
Althenic, I couldn''t get your link to work. If IvanK knows who has got a copy of the BBC Documentary on the Falklands earlier this year, you get a good view of one in action. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ivank
13th Dec 2004, 20:04
Althenic

The sim is full stand alone combat Sim in the genere of IL2/Forgotten Battles etc and not an addon to any of the FS series, for a sample of what is planned try:

http://www.thunder-works.com/news.htm

Getting things right is the corner stone. If the Harrier (FRS1) and GR3 are to be given the justice they deserve then we need the systems info.

so far we can get just about any other aircraft info we need, the Harriers are however posing a problem. We cannot base the sim on info from other PC based packages as most contain glaring errorrs. Flight Manual type data is the level of detail required.
If we cant get hold of a Flight Manual then scans of a few pages
would help.

Navaleye
13th Dec 2004, 20:16
I want one. :O :cool: Very impressive stuff indeed. I'll do some more digging for you and keep up the good work!

althenick
13th Dec 2004, 21:17
I definitely want one too!

Especially if (Unlike the CFS2 variant) you can get it to fire a &^(_)^$%£^%^R sidewinder:mad: