PDA

View Full Version : Where are A319's assembled?

outofsynch
10th Dec 2004, 23:45
Where exactly are the A319 assembled?

Ignition Override
11th Dec 2004, 01:54
I know a pilot (also Instructor/Check Airman) who ferries these over the Atlantik. He said that numerous company "staff" (regarded by upper mgmt to be like a staph infection...) can ride along, but delivery dates are not always certain.:ouch:

Out of curiosity, do many Canadians or Americans vacation near Hamburg/Bremen in the winter? It is probably a much better choice than Duluth, or St. Paul, Minnesota (MSP).:suspect:

EFP058
11th Dec 2004, 04:49
@ outofsynch:

They are being assembled at Hamburg Finkenwerder (EDHI). Very easy to confuse with Hamburg Fuhlsbüttel (EDDH) under certain circumstances when unfamiliar with the area, as both have a RWY05/23 and both runways are located almost exactly in the extended centerline of each other.

@ Ignition Override:

I live just a few miles south of the Bremen area, and I don´t see too many Americans on vacation here (and I would know, having an american wife... ;)). Not really much to do and see here I guess, unless you are into aviation maybe.

By the way, the other day I sent you a private message in response to a message you sent me some time ago re: Aeroflot and their DC-10F. For some reason my message doesn´t show up in the "sent" box, so I was wondering if it ever made it to you?

saman
17th Dec 2004, 12:50
Three members of the A320 Family are assembled in Hamburg-Finky; A318, A319 and A321. The A320 is assembled in Toulouse.

All A320 Family interiors are installed in Finky with an A320's first flight often being TLS-Hamburg with performance and systems checks on this flight. Flight 2 is HAM-TLS with cabin checks and then usually one more check flight prior to Customer acceptance.

All very smooth now.

WHBM
17th Dec 2004, 13:44
OK, that's the airframes.

Which factories do the final assembly of the CFM56 and V2500 engines from the two manufacturers. They're both joint ventures with bits being built all over the place, no doubt, but which are their main assembly plants ?

Haggis Hunter
19th Dec 2004, 19:25
in the factory...

however i saw a cracking story in FHM the other month: a guys girlfriend asked him how planes were delivered to the airports for the airlines.... i say know more!

saman
20th Dec 2004, 12:20
IAE V2500 engines are assembled in both Middletown (part of P&W's operations near East Hartford, Conn. USA) and Rolls-Royce's plant in Derby UK.

CFM are put together in both Snecma's Villaroche facility in France and at GE's plant in Evandale, Ohio USA.

All IAE production goes to TLS or HAM.

CFM56-5B go to TLS or HAM and some CFM-56-7B still go to Seattle!

Hope this helps.

yintsinmerite
21st Dec 2004, 13:14
with an A320's first flight often being TLS-Hamburg

Oh right, I would have thought the first flight should be from TLS to the UK for the wings to be fitted :ok:

supercarb
23rd Dec 2004, 13:42
No the wings fly from UK to TLS by other means. :D

saman
28th Dec 2004, 09:59
In order to reduce production cost, the guys in TLS have looked at fitting the engines to the wings in Chester - sorry Broughton - then getting pilots to sit astride the engine pylons to fly them to the Nantes/St Nazaire group of factories for the centre section to hold the wings together and some other bits & pieces then to Meulte for the flight deck then to Ham for the rest of the fuselage & fin and then to Spain for the horizontal tailplane then to Hamburg for the interior.

But it did'nt work - the fuel cost was too high.

So they built some A300-600ST Belugas instead.

Now, who put all that sherry in the Xmas pud?