PDA

View Full Version : Dont Throw Me Out

VECTOR THRUST
12th Dec 2004, 09:08
:O
lOOK GUYS AND GIRLS I KNOW I SHOULD N'T REALLY BE HERE BUT I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU PRO'S.

I AM A WANNABE STARTING IN THE NEW YEAR AFTER 8 YEARS AS A NAVY A/C ENGINEER BUT KNOW WANT TO BRAVE IT AND FLY.

ALL I HEAR IS PEOPLE ARGUING ABOUT WHAT THEY DO AND DONT NEED TO BECOME AN AIRLINE PILOT AND WHO IS AND IS N'T PAYING CRAP WAGES.

TO BE HONEST IM QUITE HAPPY FLYING IN THE DARK WITH WHALES, CRIKETS AND BRICKS IN THE BACK FOR A CAREER BUT AS LONG AS I CAN EARN REASNABLE MONEY.

WILL I FIND IT ANY EASIER GETTING INTO FRIEGHT AND CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME BALL PARK FIGURES FOR EARNINGS FROM START TO EXPERIENCED

ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREAT, THANKS :confused:

Dan Winterland
12th Dec 2004, 12:23
There is plenty of information regarding starting your training in the Wannabes forums. As for breaking into the market through freight, don't make the error in thinking that freight flying has lower standards and therefore it's an eay way into aviation. This is far from the case as the standards for flying any aircraft are the same regardless of what you are carrying. Many passenger airlines also have a freight division where the pilots share the same seniority list and therefore, the airline requires the same standards.

VECTOR THRUST
12th Dec 2004, 13:47
Thanks for the advice dan, maybe i need to wake up and smell the coffee a bit.
As an Aircraft engineer i do understand the importance of any flying, but i did just think with all these people going on about flying passenger a/c that the opportunities to get on the ladder would be slightly easier in frieght.

neil armstrong
12th Dec 2004, 15:44
Freight is these days a more stable career!
And as you can see in this post some freight company's have a better name then Pax airlinesPPRuNe post (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=155338)

Neil

VECTOR THRUST
12th Dec 2004, 22:05
THANKS FOR THAT NEIL THAT HAS BEEN ENCOURAGING>

QUICK QUESTION THOUGH, IF I DO DECIDE TO GO THE FREIGHT ROAD, WHAT WILL BE EXPECTED FROM AS FAR AS TYPE RATINGS ARE CONCERNED. IF I AM EXPECTED TO PAY FOR ONE AS PART OF A JOB AND WHAT SORT OF WONGA ARE WE LOOKING.

BASICALLY I VE GOT £36,000 TO TRAIN, NOW AM I GOIN TO BE ABLE TO BE EMPLOYABLE AT THE END OR AM P*****G IN THE WIND. BE HONEST WITH ME
:ugh:

Flying Mechanic
16th Dec 2004, 01:01
When you finish your training you will have one advantage compared to all the other Pilots looking for job.......your a AIRCRAFT ENGINEER.You must use this to your advantage.You should target specific companies where you know if you get yourself working in the hangar...you can progress to the Flying side.I did it back in 1999, when I had 400 hours and about 6 years experience as a A/C Engineer.I worked for small Piston operator in Oz.............and 3 months later i was flying their Cessna 182 and then my career got going, moving onto twins etc .I then Left Oz and ended up in the Caribbean( I had 2000 TT) , again I got a job down there flying because I could help fix the planes aswell.The company I am working for now is the first company I have worked for where i dont have to work on the planes after worK!!Its great and i finally made it flying a Turbo Prop hauling freight.

Hope that helps
Cheers FM

Nineiron
16th Dec 2004, 16:57
Interesting post from Flying Mechanic. My experience has been that being an engineer is not neccessarilary an advantage when seeking a flying job. Engineers are a lot more difficult to find than potential aircrew so it some times pays to keep quiet about engineering experience otherwise you'll never get out of the hangar!

Flying Mechanic
16th Dec 2004, 19:16
That is true.
Another option is train to be a dispacther , get a job in Flights ops and start making friends..........I know a few Pilots that have scored Flying jobs that way. The main thing I would say is once your qualified as Pilot do your upmost to get a job in Aviation doing anything, get your self into the industry and start making friends/contacts......it all helps.People always remember a face thats pleasant and helpful.

Cheers FM