PDA

View Full Version : Arar Arax

richlear
11th Dec 2004, 16:01
wasn't it much easier to fall asleep in front of Arar/Arax than Yellowgate?

J.A.F.O.
11th Dec 2004, 18:54
I can honestly say I never had any problem sleeping in front of Yellowgate.

Dimmer Switch
11th Dec 2004, 19:14
You woke me up to ask me that ??!? Jeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

richlear
11th Dec 2004, 20:12
YG was Ok till the stinky wet men found the alarm button.....arar/arax had the nice CRT sort of glow about it....sent me off every time.

Anita Bush
11th Dec 2004, 21:13
Hated Yellowgate - was on one of the first yellowgate OCUs.
'and on the 342nd menu we have..............'

Oh GOD I how I hated that. No trouble falling asleep but agree with you about the alarm button. Seem to remember that the combination of heat and galley smells used to set some people off :hmm: :bored: :bored: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

richlear
11th Dec 2004, 23:13
we must know each other then...I think we were the last Finningley course do learn Arar/Arax (119) Spent a vey nice few weeks at Bredbury doing the YG course....

MightyGem
12th Dec 2004, 11:31
Don't you just hate it when you haven't got a clue what people are on about. :confused:

Anita Bush
12th Dec 2004, 12:59
Sorry old bean. No idea what you mean.;)

Another good thing about Yellergate is that you could (still can?) write messgaes to the Tac Nav. Nearly as good as overloading the Tac Screen from the radar with the word "WANK@R" spelt out using radar files.......happy days!

On another note;
Hated ESM trg at FYN. Instructor carried a metre rule and used to slam it on the desk in front of you if you got the audio wrong. Excellent instructional technique, nearly as good as in "Fighter Pilot" in the 80s.
Learning by fear:ugh:

richlear
12th Dec 2004, 15:42
I think they changed it now but you used to be able to generate a whole bunch of contacts, flag them for the nav then open the link...Blam....Tacnav reprogram!!

excellent fun

Looking back on it now, it definitely seems much more fun than it actually was! I have flown a few times since I left in 1990 and played with the radar/YG....my fingers found the right buttons straight away.It was amazing. The same jokes are there under the radar pad as well!

Yeller_Gait
12th Dec 2004, 16:02
Personally I found it easier to fall asleep sat in front of radar rather than yellowgate, especially when you were waiting for the riser that you just knew would never happpen !!!

Mad_Mark
12th Dec 2004, 18:03
richlear, "Spikes a nob!" - is STILL finding its way onto the scratch pads :p

MadMark!!! :mad:

J.A.F.O.
12th Dec 2004, 19:44
I remember Spike but couldn't possibly comment one way or the other.

Charlie Luncher
12th Dec 2004, 21:01
What's ARAR/ARAX dad:E

Charlie sends

richlear
12th Dec 2004, 23:22
ahh yes......who could forget the ubiquitous 'nob'....I took my 7 year old to Leuchars this year and had a wander around the Nimrod on static display...I took him around..."This is where Daddy used to sit" ..."This is where Daddy used to fall asleep in front of the ESM"....."This is where the pilots sit"....Matthew - "Yeah, great Dad - can we go and get some chips now?"

Checked out the stuff on the scratch pad as well!

Yeller_Gait
13th Dec 2004, 00:02
Charlie,

You are just not old enough to remember!!!

I only ever flew once on an a/c with arar/arax, was 236 OCU if I am not mistaken, but having been involved with YG ever since, I can say that the operators who have used it have done so to the best of the the equipments (limited) capability.

Richlear .... do I know you ???? check your pm's