PDA

View Full Version : how many professional pilots are also spotters?

RUDAS
11th Dec 2004, 10:48
I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

Anyway,i was just wandering if there are any professional pilots who,like me,are also planespotters?

It seems there is a lot of disdain amongst pilots for spotters,they seem to see them as kind of sad geeks...which i must agree with partially,it does seem to attract a higher than average proportion of wierdos but anyway...would be interested to hear from others like me.:ok: :cool:

411A
11th Dec 2004, 12:18
Well, I certainly can't speak for other professional pilots, but I suspect they all were 'spotters' at one time before flying professionally....you know, hanging over the airport fence, trying to get a closer look at all the fine flying machinery.

As aviation has been rather kind to most professional pilots, I wonder just why then these same folks look on 'spotters' with disdain?

Seems totally unreasonable to me.

Or, to put it another way, don't these same professional pilots also have a hobby?
Other than sitting on the bar stool, that is....:p

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Dec 2004, 12:27
Can't speak for pilots, but I know plenty of controllers who are very serious spotters.. I started that way and, although I stopped collecting numbers sometime ago, I still derive huge pleasure from watching aircraft. Couple of days ago I watched the video I made of the 50th anniversary fly-past at Heathrow... had me in tears!

RUDAS
11th Dec 2004, 12:31
that's exactly where i started off,and still try to get as many numbers as possible wherever i go.glad to hear from other like-minded people:ok:

Hotel Tango
12th Dec 2004, 10:34
Don't know pilot number crunchers, but I do know several who partake in the photography aspect of "spotting". As already mentioned, there are quite a few ATCO number crunchers, although some don't advertise it too loudly for fear of being ridiculed. In fact, their additional knowledge often helps to identify anomalies in FPLs and flight data.

PPRuNe Pop
12th Dec 2004, 11:14
I think everyone who has ever been smitten by aeroplanes still has a keen interest in them. I am retired now but my head always goes skywards when I see one, and it would be fair to say that most pilots are still 'basically' spotters of one kind or another.

I also have a few ATCO's as friends and some can't go anywhere without their personal 'radios' to keep up with who is saying what to whom!

Ranger 1
12th Dec 2004, 23:03
We have certainly 1 here in BRS ATC also 2 confimed spotters who work in my Dept, all of them a mine of info:ok:

Notso Fantastic
13th Dec 2004, 11:46
RUDAS,
It seems there is a lot of disdain amongst pilots for spotters,they seem to see them as kind of sad geeks
I don't know where you got the above impression, but I think you are wrong. I have always been a 'spotter', I am proud to have been one now, and always will be. I fly 747-400s now, and always felt a bond to spotters! I don't bother with regs.

Now as for train spotters.....no mercy!

Navajo8686
13th Dec 2004, 16:44
When you talk to 'non spotters' there is a definite pecking order of spotting activities which seems to pervade even though they probably nothing about any of the hobbies...

Usual type of remarks you get from the non-spotters from the top:

Bird spotting - "Oh how wonderful & you can identify a million starlings individually in your garden? Aren't you clever but just a little weird" :)

Balloon Spotting - for anyone "Oh how nice - I would love to go in a ballon. You're slightly weirder":O

Plane Spotting - "They're great for going on holiday but you want to see ALL of them before you die. You're definitely weird":D

Train Spotting - "Those sad weirdos on the end of platforms watching trains? In my day they were steam you know and......":8

Bus Spotting - "Blimey - you stand on street corners looking at BUSES. You're mad" :\

Lorry Spotting - " Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha":{

Navajo8686

Also admitting to partaking in four of the above - makes me a total :mad:

Evanelpus
14th Dec 2004, 15:53
Oooo Navajo, all the Eddie Stobart fans will be sending you poison pen letters now!!

kala87
14th Dec 2004, 16:10
Rudas

Certainly, many pilots started their interest in aviation by hanging out at their local airport, and visiting air shows. As to how many were 'spotters' I don't know, but certainly some were. I certainly was in that category for several years, but soon found aviation photography to be more interesting.

There was a thread on this topic some time ago in the 'private flying' forum. The consensus of opinion seemed to be that the 'real' pilot should march to and from his/her aircraft without even a glance at the other interesting hardware parked on the apron! In other words, even showing an interest in another aircraft was evidence of that terrible crime, aircraft spotting!

I don't believe this attitude represents the majority in flying, just the opinion of a small boring minority. It certainly exists though. I once mentioned to a fellow pilot at our small local airfield (I had a part share in an aircraft based there) that I sometimes liked to hang around near the runway at a well-known airport, mainly to judge the quality of the landings, but also to see if anything interesting turned up (which in my case means a DC6 or Lockheed Electra, or something similar)

The response was emphatic: "don't mention that to anyone round here, else they will call you a xxxxxx spotter, or worse"

Sad people. Amazing how some people can fly aircraft while being so disinterested in the larger world of aviation.

PPRuNe Towers
14th Dec 2004, 16:53
Well it makes for a satisfying little rumble somewhere on the site several times a year. It seems the protagonists are determined to misunderstand each time.

As you've seen many of the pro's are as much enthusiasts as you. Danny and I both began as helplessly enthusiastic spotters on the spectators' balcony at Liverpool Airport during the British Eagle and Cambrian era.

Our definition is brutal but honest. The disdain has been created by the element of the fraternity that is obsessive/compulsive/bipolar possessing no social skills and where the counting/ordering/collecting is or becomes the sole driving force. The aircraft are, of themselves, secondary to that aspect. They'd be bird spotters if they had serial numbers. Remember, we are forced to spend time in airports and we can't help but run across the stereotype spotter on a regular basis.

The subsiduary aspect is whether someone sees themselves as a passive or active participants. If this was the TV and Film rumours network you'd see the same problems arise beween those on the production side (in no matter how minor a role) and viewers. It would be the same on a riding site or one for yachting. Human nature I'm afraid - in those realms I'm the one with a passive interest and I know what goes with the territory.

We're tribal creatures, there is an inside and outside. Disregarding PPRuNe itself it's there within the enthusiasts' community as with any human grouping - including pilots! The rest of the site bears testament to that. You lot actually get off very lightly if you have a look outside the box.

Regards from the Towers
Rob Lloyd

GlueBall
14th Dec 2004, 17:00
Last month I had taken a long stroll to the fence at LGW beside the Travelodge (Former Concord & Gatwick Hickmet) with my cam, but lo and behold the fence was covered. The half dozen spotters on the scene were squeezing their cams between the gate posts. An alternative viewing platform could be the rooftop of the hotel, but that's up to the hotel manager. Perhaps one of the regular LGW spotters could talk to the hotel manager about that :{

RUDAS
15th Dec 2004, 15:25
i suppose,since many of you are uk-based,and with spotting being pretty big over there,its kind of better accepted.out in my part of the globe,its quite a rare passtime,and almost all my colleagues as fellow pilots tend to look down on spotters as wannabes.

I agree though that anyone who loves planes and still turns their head skywards when one comes over is,fundamentally,a spotter.

Notso Fantastic
15th Dec 2004, 15:51
Well there's no clue there as to what part of the planet you come from, but there are established spotter clubs here and they organise spotting tours. Unfortunately, some countries (like Greece) don't seem to understand enthusiasm for aeroplanes for aeroplanes sake as opposed to espionage.
I used to get up to LHR any way I could and spend happy days there 'spotting', and all the airshows I could get to. I can think of no better way to build up enthusiasm for the business- once you are actually working, dragging yourself out of bed at 03.30 am or going to work at 23.00 needs motivation- money isn't enough for the tedium in the job- unless you are truly motivated by love of aeroplanes you probably won't last the course.
So are spotters 'looked down upon'? Not by moi!

MAN777
15th Dec 2004, 17:08
I am a "spotter / enthusiast" and proud of it, Although not a pilot (OK i am a frustrated pilot) I fly on an almost daily basis, all my colleagues know of my hobby (one of many hobbies i might add) they find it amusing and take the mick, but its all good natured. If the truth be known I suspect there are others in my workplace who just wont "come out" !!

I know many spotters from all walks of life and professions, it is true there are the obsessive types who have scant regard for the bigger picture, but equally there are highly educated individuals who could shoot down any pilot on the subject of aviation.

Personally, my interest gets me all over the world, have been to every continent except Antartica. The average normal non spotter does well to get 2 weeks in Majorca !

I would like to start a list of famous spotters, my contribution is

Sir Michael Bishop (Bmi)

GrahamK
15th Dec 2004, 17:56
MAN777 I think you can add John Travolta to that list

ehwatezedoing
15th Dec 2004, 19:41
I started as a "spotter"

Also this term was not known to me at this time (early 80's). I went to every airshow I could and still have photo's albums about it. I guess it's what brings me in aviation!

It remind me a story when I flew a B-18 for a skydiving outfit.
Every once in a while someone would come see the a/c, take some picture and have a little "chat" with me...
One of those guys came out in an old Volvo. He spotted me flying on top of his house couple of time and just wanted to see it closer. We had a very nice conversation about B-18 and aviation in general.
Then he left me with a smile and....a CL-415 sticker.:confused:

Couple of weeks later I recognized his face in a Flight international article.
As Bombardier CL-415 Chief Pilot.

:ok:

San Expiry
16th Dec 2004, 20:12
I'm constantly amazed by a large number of my (flying) colleagues who show/have shown no interest in aircraft, the aviation industry or aviation 'things' whatsoever. I'd love to know what drove them along the very long and winding road to a seat up front of an airliner without any real interest flying machines. Still, takes all sorts, I guess.

Kestrel_909
16th Dec 2004, 22:34
I know (of) several controllers and pilots who still have a keen interest in 'spotting. '

Ok none who book a day trip to LGW or MAN. Most of them also deny their use of flight sim at home to their collegues but happily admit it to enthusiasts:ok:

Teddy Robinson
19th Dec 2004, 23:20
Find it is useful to know what you are looking at when a French controller tells you to line up after the Airbus 318 .. when they do most of their talking in French, there are 4 holding points in use filled with various products of mssrs Boeing/Airbus, so there has to be some common ground... as for noting the reggies ???:confused: :confused: :confused:
Nope .. definately mad.

coopervane
20th Dec 2004, 02:19
Spot and be proud of it! All you closset anoraks, its time to come out!

A flight deck is the best spotting position on the airport. Look at all those fantastic pics on Airliners.net Lots of those were taken by jocks or crew.

I have known crews request that they need to stop on the ramp for some technical problem when the real reason was to get that top pic of some obscure IL18 or DC8!

Aircrew spotting logs always look impressive when you show them off to the "by the fence brigade"(No offence) Two or three airports in one day in different countries! All payed for by the airline and being payed while doing it. Luxury!!!

Coop & spotting Bear

ZRH
20th Dec 2004, 04:06
There is a large spotting-scene in ZRH. When good wx prevails, its advisesable to come by foot, bike or public transport as the parking areas near thr 16 and 14 are too crowded. You see the amateurs with the smaller cameras and you see the serious folks with the serious equipment. Plenty of pilots and atcos down there too.
But generally the average atco here looks down on spotters and are absurdly proud of the fact that they cant distinguish between an A318 and a DC8.

speed freek
20th Dec 2004, 06:51
Don't see anything wrong with spotting personally. In this industry we need a bit of gen. knowledge. eg. At EGLL, you get an instruction "...line up behind the departing Speedbird A320", and there are about 20 BA aircraft in front of you....always thought it might help knowing the differences between aircraft/airframes.

However standing in an anorak, at the end of the runway with a pair of bi-nocs, a notepad and a list of registrations might be a tad over the top....:}

BALIX
20th Dec 2004, 07:36
I've always thought that those who are so immersed in the subject that they can tell you the exact difference between 747-300 and a 747-400 are a bit wierd.

Oh, and by the way, it's DC-8, not DC8 :}

FlightDetent
20th Dec 2004, 07:56
Oh, can't you? :}

On a external familirisation 737 walk-around in our hangar (me, an ab-initio cadet, others perhaps experienced on various (http://www.mig-21.de/Bilder/Su-22_4.jpg) beasts (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/708942/M/)), we only reached our aircraft after giving 20 minutes to adouring a local mogul G-V covered in dazzling water droplet diamonds as she was having a shower. The only curve-interrupting thing was the devilish Kollsman IR thingy .... aaah. And those overwing emerg. exits, speachless we stood.

And then we proceed on to the belowed one that keeps us from being hungry. Nevertheless, I see why DiCarpio (pun intended) talks about "iron" on silver screen.

Ciao,
FD.

Edited for the sloppiness of my browser/uplink.

speed freek
20th Dec 2004, 08:23
Balix,

mate, its not hard, one has winglets, the other doesn't!! Exactly my point. When ATC ask you to line up behind the 300, and there are a right mix of 300s and 400s in front of you (bearing in mind SAA operated at one point all the pax versions of the 747 out there), your gonna have a bit of fun aren't you? :O

Cheers.

BALIX
20th Dec 2004, 11:47
Speed Freak

I'm well aware of the difference. I was simply having a little dig at some of the contributors for not knowing that DC-8 has a - in it. These things matter to the average enthusiast :ok:

ZRH
21st Dec 2004, 04:59
I know my aircraft types. There has been the odd occasion when I didn't know what the aircaft I was talking to looked like. Example: AN22. Or should that be AN-22 ???
Some of my co-workers were suprised to find out that the target doing 400kts ground speed at FL370 was infact a turbo prop. P180 (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=570283&size=L&sok=V0hFUkUgIChyZWcgPSAnSS1GWFJDJykgIE9SREVSIEJZIHBob3RvX2lk IERFU0M%3D&photo_nr=2)

dghob
21st Dec 2004, 06:11
As Balix says it can depend on how deeply you get into it that determines how others see you. For the sake of this discussion I'll admit to being a spotter but only because I love spending time at airports watching the action and appreciating the hardware. When I'm away with work I like to have lunch beside the local airport watching the comings & goings. I have zero interest in collecting information or taking photos. I have never wanted to fly for a living but did possess a restricted private license for a while. I had to choose financially between becoming a PPL or buying a boat & the boat won. So my passion is yachting, but that doesn't detract from my love of watching anything to do with aviation. I suppose I'll still be a wannabe geek spotter to some, but do I really care? More power to the serious spotters I say!
Cheers
dghob

WHBM
21st Dec 2004, 12:27
mate, its not hard, one has winglets, the other doesn't!!
Oh Speed freek

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/511283/M/

It's back to spotting school for you !!

22nd Dec 2004, 02:25
That JAL jumbo would've fooled me!! I think that most of us would've put our money on it beiing a -300. Back to spotting school for me too.

Flip Flop Flyer
23rd Dec 2004, 13:18
That picture of the (and I know this designation will prolly get me flamed) Tu-154M ....... golly, I nearly reached for my fly :O

Whilst not taking registrations or having ever gone on an official "spotting" trip, apart from air shows that is, pérhaps I should be classified as a mere "keen observer"? But I do observe, and I can tell you ad nausem the difference between a 727-200 and a -200Adv, a 707 and a 720, and a A300B2 and a B4, and various other bits of equally pedantic and useless bits of aviation related information. But it's important to know this stuff if you work in aviation! I deffo signed up in order to get to play with the darling things in my own way, and certainly wouldn't enjoy having the same type of job in möst any other field. It's cutting edge technology (albeit 1970s technologz in 'my' airline), the extremely high cost and an unforgiving natural environment that spawns the process of developing a system to manage and mitigate risks that attracts me. It also gives me the perfect oppertunity to get up close and personal when it suits me.

It would hardly be the same with city busses ...

I'm a buff proud and of it! (but don't tell anyone :E )

superspotter
26th Dec 2004, 17:08
Well i'm sure by just looking at my username you can see where I stand on the subject!!
Having been "spotting" for over 28 years now I constantly question my sanity! Especially stood next to a runway in the freezing cold yet, when anybody asks me why I do it I am completely unable to give a coherent answer!
I remember a few years ago some physchiatrist coming up with an interesting theory that it was all to do with an inbuilt need within the human psyche, harking back to when we were all hunters to "collect" things.Actually, if I sit down and really think how much time I devote to all things spotting then I find that it amounts to something like 40% of my DAILY waking day:uhoh:
I have travelled the world over spotting, much much more than I would have done if I was'nt a spotter.In fact spotting and knowing other spotters has me now working in Paris for an airline in operations and getting paid to go spotting everyday!!
Sad?? maybe, happy?? definitely!!:ok:

arem
4th Jan 2005, 16:22
Now that my Diabetes is stopping my airline career after 40 years, its back to the end of the runway to get the photo's - instead of from the Flight Deck!! Hand the taxying over to the F/O and tell him to slow it up a bit and hey presto, another unique picture!!

Never was much of a number collector, but always have carried a camera with me ( well not always in the late sixties/early seventies to my great regret ) not just for the aircraft but some of the scenery could be quite fantastic!!

Amazing how few pilots were enthusiasts - perhaps it was just a case they felt too embarassed to admit it.

expedite08
8th Nov 2006, 16:54
Thought I would resurrect this one and add a few points of my own.

From my time in aviation you do generally get two distinct types. Those who happily admit to being spotters or serious enthusiasts, and those who would rip you appart if you so even breathed a hint of being interested in aviation. Funnily enough it generally seems that the people who work in the aviation field are the least interested! A chain of thought that I for one certainly can not understand.

Im not a number cruncher or even a photographer, but still love being around aviation.

To the serious spotters out there... Good on you all! Its often a pleasure to chat to you all before I go flying!

adz555666
8th Nov 2006, 17:43
I've been a spotter (cival number cruncher only) since I was about 6.
Got a job working at my local airport when I was 16, thought I'd landed on my feet!
Work & spotting at the same time!!
Except for the pi$$ takeing from my work mates!
After 4 years, got fed up of seeing planes everyday, then getting up early to go see "more planes" on my day off so gave it up!
Then about 5 years later, started spotting again and have carried on ever since!

But my workmates at my current job dont know that I do it and never will do!!

Adam

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Nov 2006, 17:54
Nothing to be ashamed of at all... I've been a spotter on and off for 55-odd years; some of my work colleagues knew.. others didn't. It simply does not matter.

No, the REAL barking nutcases are those ATCOs and pilots who drive steam trains in their spare time.......... (onloy 'cos I'm dead jealous).

noflybywire
8th Nov 2006, 18:08
I'm a pilot and a spotter. The last muppet!! I had sitting in the right hand seat couldn't tell the difference between a 1-11 and a 747 he was a total whelk! who's joke of an ambition was to fly(Ha Ha Ha) an airbus,

FLCH
8th Nov 2006, 18:45
I'm no spotter , but I'll always look in the sky if I hear a plane, and I always give the spotters at the airport a wave if I can, especially in Manchester, theres always lots there.

hobie
8th Nov 2006, 19:28
I'm no spotter , but I'll always look in the sky if I hear a plane

Have to confess that would be me too ..... every time .... :p

adz555666
8th Nov 2006, 22:35
Heathrow Director,

I guess I am ashamed to be a spotter because at my local airport, there are certain spotters/individuals who give what we do a bad name!

And the people in my work would have a field day taking the pi$$ so it's just not worth the hassle telling them! But whenever the subject comes round about planes or holiday destinations, soemtimes I go a bit too indepth!!

Best Wishes

Adam

CHIVILCOY
9th Nov 2006, 07:29
Just a word to all you professionals out there,next time you spot a spotter.
Years ago I was once standing alone at the crash gate at the 23 end at GLA on a cold winter's day when a taxying AA DC-10 came along and stopped right in front of me.
Armed with my camera I zoomed in to the cockpit windows and saw the pilots give me a wave. It made my day.
Seem to recall it was mostly USA pilots who obliged in this way.:ok:

excrewingbod
13th Nov 2006, 12:38
Quite a few closet enthusiasts in the profession, especially where photography is concerned. Only knew of one pilot who was an active 'spotter' as such - i.e. interested in collecting a/c registrations.

You tend to know the one's who don't have any enthusiasm for aviation - they tend to be a very unhappy bunch with what they have/do and constantly whinge. Sometimes feel they need a serious kick up the backside and to reflect on their own unhappy lives before criticizing others....

Anyway, as for me, well known in the company for my hobby - aviation photography. Often pop outside at lunchtime with the camera.

hobie
13th Nov 2006, 15:21
I guess I am ashamed to be a spotter because at my local airport, there are certain spotters/individuals who give what we do a bad name!

What on earth do they do to that I wonder ..... :confused:

I pop down to our local strip if anything interesting is around .... sadly times are changing ..... security has just about eliminated one of the best spotting sites I've ever seen and a photo like the one I took years ago is sadly just a memory .... :(

One of the things I've noticed about the real pro's in the spotting world is they seem to have the best cam's .... scanners etc ... and virtually nothing coming/going is unknown to them .... the most inconspicuous exec jet etc can suddenly arrive for a splash and dash before crossing the atlantic and these guys seem to know everything about it, even the owner etc etc .... never failed to be impressed by their depth of knowledge .....

I've always though one of the benefits of having lots of spotters around an Airport is they would be the first to call the "Polite men" in the event of anyone being seen on a Sabotage attempt ..... our local Airfield specializes in attracting guys and gals hell bent on holding Anti-war prayer meetings in the middle of the airfield ........ :8

http://tinypic.com/in4lrs.jpg

adz555666
13th Nov 2006, 20:49
"What on earth do they do to that I wonder ..... "

Try paying a visit to the Aviation Experience at BHX!

Best Wishes

Adam

hobie
14th Nov 2006, 09:37
Try paying a visit to the Aviation Experience at BHX!

The mind Boggles ..... :p

Now what could they be up to, I wonder.... :confused:

CHIVILCOY
14th Nov 2006, 10:43
I like the pic hobie with the people all looking up and the dog not looking at all impressed.:)

hobie
14th Nov 2006, 11:09
Yep ..... I could never really get him interested in Aircraft!!!! .... :p

http://tinypic.com/incykw.jpg

CHIVILCOY
14th Nov 2006, 11:27
He's just a "poser"

FLCH
14th Nov 2006, 11:41
Next time at an airshow in the States, see if you can spot these.....

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/061104-F-1851B-902.jpg

paulc
14th Nov 2006, 13:03
Spotter / photographer / enthusiast as well - have been to many different locations to get that rare machine but am just as happy spending a day at my local ga airfield during the summer months. Have met some interesting people doing this hobby including pilots / ATCO's etc. I was involved with a restoration project for a number of years and regularly visit local aviation groups who manage to get some fascinating speakers. Next week on consecutive evenings at different groups I will (hopefully) see Peter Twiss and Graham Pitchfork. Other speakers I have seen over the last couple of years have included John Farley, Eric 'winkle' Brown, Dick Stratton, Dr Robert Pleming.

Yes it might seem a strange hobby but is it any more strange than, say hitting a small white ball with some sticks, or fishing or any other interest that people are enthusiastic about.

The SSK
14th Nov 2006, 14:05
During my spotter phase at Newcastle in the 1960s, I found it was my commercial sensitivities which were waking up, rather than any urge to fly. I used to count the passengers onto the London-bound Ambassadors and work out the load factor (times 100, divide by 55) or more pertinently look at the four or five who boarded the Dan-Air Dakota to Kristiansand and wonder how the hell it could ever make money.

Still doing it for a living, 40+ years later.

WHBM
14th Nov 2006, 15:25
I never spotted aircraft registrations. But from the other side of the fence I must say it gives a bit of a buzz when I take my PA28 in somewhere unusual at wekends to have a couple of 12 year olds look quite excited that they have "got" one they have not seen before, just because I fancied a jolly.

expedite08
14th Nov 2006, 15:29
Adz555666,

Its a shame isnt it? We all have our own interests and hobbies, but those with an interest in anything different from the norm i.e football or going out and getting wasted every night or weekend, get an absolute slating!

Ive had a love of all things aviation for as long as I can remember and have got used to the slating and p!!s taking. Im not even a spotter/ photographer!

As I fly also, I generally find that a sting of jealously is also attached to the banter! Some people just cannot handle others living thier dream. Its not our fault we dedicate ourselves to acheiving our deams.

Do not be ashamed in any way!!

excrewingbod

I know what you mean on that one too. Why work in aviation if your not interested!! Generally aviation is not something that you can fall in to like sales/ marketing/ banking etc. You usually have to want to get in to it. And put a fair amount of work in too!
Baffles me to this day why some try and drag it down for others. :ok:

skiddyiom
14th Nov 2006, 15:35
I've been "spotting" under various guises now since the age of 8 (I'm a youthful 53 now). It never fails to amaze me the vehemence of most Engineers about spotters. It's as if they consider it a crime to be remotely interested in the machines they work on. And yet they will trot out chapter and verse about any aeroplane you can think of, but of course, they're not really interested!!

After a long spell in the Air Force and keeping my hobby firmly under my hat (for most of the time) I've now decided that, at my stage in life, I couldn't give a monkey's stuff what some fool thinks of my hobby. Working for a British airline at a small airport I have managed to bag 16 free return flights thanks to my pictures - something that others find amazing. Especially as they are with rival airlines!! :}

The fact is, spotters are weird, but no weirder than the sports freaks, the boat nuts and the golf fanatics. It's a hobby, no more or less.

skiddy

tallaonehotel
14th Nov 2006, 15:47
Skiddy,

I feel the same way, as I work for the same small airline most people laugh and joke about our genuine interest in aviation.
I consider it a privilage to work in the same industry as my hobby, not many people have that pleasure.

hobie
14th Nov 2006, 16:05
I never spotted aircraft registrations

Can't say I've ever listed reg's but with the availability of the Internet I have to say if I see something different I do write down the reg and pop it into Google later ...... it's amazing what you can find out :eek: ......

Avrel
14th Nov 2006, 17:43
Honestly I think over here in Germany there must be quite a few pilots, who are also spotters.

Example: The A 380 approached Düsseldorf on Sunday and there were according to our TV a few "delays" caused by pilots, who were eager to see the Airbus. I cannot judge upon it because I am no pilot and I was not there either. I did not bother to get up at 4 am on Sunday to get a good place in the first row to the observation deck. About 70.000 - 100.000 people did. That was quite enough. I am relying on the media in this case, perhaps there might be some truth in it.

I have just read a forum comment about this matter from a so called LH BAe pilot, who had a regional flight going from EDDL on Sunday around that time. He talked about definitely taking his camera along. I guess that would be considered as spotting.
Just wrote the word "so called" because one has to be cautious, although I do not wish to consider him a liear. The forum was a hobby flight simulator forum (for the home computer) and his profile also said that he was LH BAe pilot. I guess it might be true. My two cents are just that he committed in this case an even more serious "crime". Just kidding of course, but I made the experience in this forum that people using their home computer as gaming platform are bashed for it. Even more than spotters. So a pilot doing that and being a spotter would for people be kind of a... well *insert suiting word here* ;)

For me it is normal. Most people became pilots because of an interest in the matters of flying. Of the recent flying students many might have had or perhaps still have software products on their computer and many photos on their hard drive as well.

About myself: I for my part do not really call myself a spotter. I do not do it professionally and I do not really collect those pictures. I just also take my DigiCam along to work sometimes (I work for a contractor company at the airport).

'Chuffer' Dandridge
15th Nov 2006, 19:14
I was a spotter until I learnt to fly, as I couldnt do both at once! I still have the urge to look through the hangar doors......:E

corsair
16th Nov 2006, 20:17
Never was a spotter as a kid. I lived too far from the airport to even have heard of such a thing. Otherwise I probably would have become one. But not a number collector though.
There are some freakish individuals who are spotters which I suppose is where the bad name comes from. It has been suggested that an obsession with lists of numbers etc is a form of autism. Which makes sense. But most spotters are simply aircraft enthusiasts. Some become pilots or go into other aviation trades.

One thing I don't quite understand is why many enthusiasts don't bother to get a job which places them at the airport or around aircraft. I have a friend like that. He has a dull low paid job where the only aircraft he sees are at lunchtime inbound to the airport. Photos are his thing and many are on the net. He is always updating his camera and lenses.

I knew one obsessive spotter years ago who quit his job in ops because they moved offices and longer overlooked the runway. I didn't mind as I replaced him:D Ironically his new company went bust soon after.

Many pilots are not really aircraft enthusiasts, many is the time, I've been with pilots who have no idea of the identity of even quite well known types. They think I'm a spotter when I can identify them, even more some when I take a picture. For many pilots it's just a job, a job they like admittedly but a job all the same. Whatever their reasons for getting into flying in the first place. It becomes routine.

Like everything else in life they're are variations on a theme. A bit like sexual proclivities:O Everyone has their fetish. Me? I'm an 'aerosexual'.;) ~ I just like to 'jump into the cockpit five times a day and take her to heaven and back'.:oh:

Forkandles
18th Apr 2007, 15:44
I must admit that I do find it slightly embarassing having mates who are spotters, so God only knows how it must feel to actually be one!! ;)
I've always lived near Ringway (I know..) and have always looked up when I've heard a plane going over, but actually underlining registrations in a book??
Even when I was a kid at school in Wythenshawe (the posh end, mind) you only went to the airport to shoplift, nick bikes and generally give the police someone to chase. If you were a plane spotter, you'd be strung up!
Imagine my horror when I hear that an old mate of mine, quite possibly the most obsessive spotter in the world, now flys for Ryanair!! I'm glad that planes fly themselves nowadays (well, nearly), because I hear he even takes his 'scope into the cockpit with him!! I just hope the controls are waterproof as there'll be drool everywhere...
You know who you are 'inge... :ok:

INNflight
19th Apr 2007, 11:59
.....but I defo. consider myself as photographer. I love standing in half a meter of snow while clicking away on the first sunrise arrivals. :D

....nothing beats a sunrise a FL410 though :ok:

StarTrek Manipulator
22nd Apr 2007, 09:49
Started spotting in 1979 and have travelled the world whilst enjoying my hobby and although spotting attracts the ridicule of many, I know and have met many highly intelligent and articulate people with knowledge that would put many professionals to shame;) . I currently fly the B737NG, (which members of the spotting fraternity may recognise in my name) Although, strangely I find it more difficult to indulge my interest whilst working, but I try to visit the viewing park at EGCC or have the odd 'weekend away':}

STM

overstress
23rd Apr 2007, 19:18
Started in flying after being taken to see the Hunters and Gnats over the perimeter fence at RAF Valley. It was the smell of the burning AVTUR that did it!

Now I have flown for a living since 1985 and have never even had a PPL. I maintain an interest in aircraft recognition as my job demands a certain proficiency, but have never collected a registration in my life!

I just get in 'em and fly 'em and I know what they're all called (nearly)

But a spotter... you decide! ;)

Avman
23rd Apr 2007, 21:02
Although he does note registrations, a good friend of mine hates being called a spotter. He prefers to be regarded as an aviation historian and photographer. As he vehemently declares, "today's sighting is tomorrow's history". He has a point. How many of you non-spotters (but enthusiasts) enjoy reading aviation publications such as Propliner? If it wasn't for those yesteryear spotters (er...aviation historians) and their records/photos we wouldn't benefit from these great magazine articles now. I spot and photograph too and I'm at an age when I no longer care what people think of me. I know plenty of air traffic controllers and airline pilots who do note registrations - although many don't openly admit too it ;)

BYALPHAINDIA
23rd Apr 2007, 22:57
Years ago I always found that if you made the point that you were an 'enthusiast/spotter, In an Airport or Airline Interview, It didn't do you any favours in getting a job!:ugh:

It was almost 'frowned' upon!:hmm:

I think they were scared of you getting excited about those flying machines!!:rolleyes:

whiskeyflyer
26th Apr 2007, 15:20
I have no problem with spotters but please, and this is very important outside uk area where spotting is not known, do NOT just walk into a hangar/just outside the door and start snapping/recording etc.
Thrust me I have slammed hangar doors in the face of people who have done that (and it happens more times than you think)
ASK FIRST and if times are quiet (like now, hence I find myslef in a strange part of pprune) you may even get shown around and be given some history.
Even applies to the big groups from the UK who pass by here from time to time.
PS I work in aviation, love the business, fly for a hobby but I cannot remember all the aircraft s/n's in my fleet and so to the guy a few years ago who pinned me once with questions regarding ops our cargo fleet did, how did you remember all our times/destinations? I need by flight folio tracking system

An2
26th Apr 2007, 21:30
Not a spotter "per se", as I don't collect reggos.
I'm more into the estetical side of it. Airports and the machines that inhabit them can make for really good photographic value.
As with INNflight, I'm the kind that can go to the airport in the most un-godly hour, in order to get the shot.
You gotta do what you gotta do....right!? ;) :ugh:

Daft Wader
29th Apr 2007, 23:13
Stories exist of a few "long / slow " taxi's being undertaken by Martinair and KLM crew's and then pictures appearing in copies of Scramble , just a rumour of course .....
No room in the flightdeck these days though to hang the old Snorkel Parka up !
May the farce be with you
Daft Wader
:ok:

Dan Winterland
29th Apr 2007, 23:29
I'm interested in aircraft, but I can't say I'm a spotter. Not as much as a Manchester controller thought I was one day, at least. I was told to follow a CRJ. A small aircraft with 2 engines and a t-tail taxys past, so I follow it. The controller gets very upset as we're now out of sequence, and being in a 747 we have to take off out off turn as there's no way of manouevring back in.

"I told you to follow a CRJ. You followed an EMB155" he says!

Long silence, followed by the only reply I could think of:

"Listen mate, I'm paid to fly them - not spot them!"

The Dubai controllers used to do the same. They were always telling us to follow an Emirates 777 or an Emirates A330. It took me a while to work out which was which. The winglets gave it away.