PDA

View Full Version : PPL Exams: Trevor Thom Books or just a CD????

SAMIR786
10th Dec 2004, 22:44
Hi

I am planning on doing my PPL ground exams soon and want to know what is the most easiest and effective way to study for them: Books (Trevor Thom) or Interactive CD packages such as

PPL Exam Tutor and Groundschool Examiner Fixed Wing

http://www.tm-i.co.uk/shopping/proddetail.asp?prod=cd%2Dfwing&cat=9

or www.pilot-training.co.uk

Also, are there any test centres within London. What are the typical examination fees?

Cheers

Shaz

Pilot16
10th Dec 2004, 23:12
Hi there,

I can tell you Trever Thom books are the best training material around. You really cant go wrong with them. They have been around for very long time and have been PPL standard ground training text books for years althought there are others around. I have used them to pass me through the exams and they are excellent.

All the best! :ok:
check your PM

thebeast
10th Dec 2004, 23:30
dont forget to get the PPL Confuser it has just about every question that you can get, makes it a piece of cake!!!!:ok:

EGBKFLYER
11th Dec 2004, 05:52
You may want to look at the AFE guides too - the physical size of the book is not as handy as Thom, but the content is good and has better illustrations on the whole. That said, if you plan to go beyond PPL, Thom is the more comprehensive manual as the AFE guides are mostly aimed at those not wishing to go beyond PPL. Personally, I still prefer a book to look at rather than trying to read a CDROM on a screen, but that's just me...

Pilot16
11th Dec 2004, 22:19
The 'PPL Confuser' book is a must.

scameron77
12th Dec 2004, 13:34
Mate,

You may want to check out this thread I started a few weels ago:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150662&highlight=definative

I also noticed you've just joined PPRuNe, Its this is not a criticism but its common for new people on here to post threads without doing a search first. When I joined I posted topics already covered in deapth quite a few times.

Stephen

FlyingForFun
12th Dec 2004, 15:36
The answer would be that it depends - which do you find easiest? Personally, I hate studying from a computer-screen - it's very useful being able to search the material to find an answer if you forget something, but I don't like it for studying in the first place.

But that's just me - everyone's different. Go into a pilot shop, have a look at each of them, and make up your own mind which you'll find easiest to study from.

FFF
--------------

mazzy1026
13th Dec 2004, 10:38
I hate studying from a computer-screen Ditto. I use computers enough so wouldn't be able to stand sitting in front of one to study. I much prefer to read quietly at night before bed as it is relaxing and you are more likely to take the material in (that's the way it worked for me anyway). I have never heard the idea of the AFE books being aimed at someone who doesn't want to progress after the PPL to be honest. I used the AFE ones (and still am) and I find them great. In all honesty, I have never even seen a Thom one so couldn't give you a comparison :ugh:

Take a look at both of them, find one which suits you, buy the confuser, enjoy it and you will be fine!

Regards

Maz :ok: