PDA

View Full Version : Nut an Bolt Codes

Scion
9th Dec 2004, 22:41
Does anyone have a list of RAF/RAAF nut and bolt codes;?
For example I believe "A" would indicate a 2ba thread with a 45 meaning 41/2 inches of shank before 4/10s of an inch thread.

I have just got a severe quantity of Dept of Aircraft Production bolts still in boxes and would like the full code list prior to sorting and fileing.

Thanks in anticipation.

TD&H
10th Dec 2004, 09:22
Hello Scion

How you keeping?

You may wish to contact 'Light Aero Spares' here in the UK, they have a lot of BA/BSF hardware available, and may possibly be able to give you cross references to RAF stock numbers. A google should find their website, still can't work out how to put in a link.

Will also chat with my contacts who are involved with old aeroplanes to see if they can help.

In the meantime best regards.

PS Have also sent a PM with some useful references from Light Aero's website. eg A25 being a bolt with sizes shown by letters A, B, C, etc and length references. Should help you do some initial sorting.

jimgriff
11th Dec 2004, 15:28
This may be of help:
MOD codes for fixings:

28D Bolts A.G.S.
28E Clips A.G.S.
28F Couplings A.G.S.
28FP Aircraft Fastner and Quick Release Pins
28G Eyebolts A.G.S.
28H Ferrules A.G.S.
28J Filler Caps and Fuel Filters A.G.S.
28K Fork Joints A.G.S.
28L Locknuts, Lockwashers A.G.S.
28M Nuts A.G.S.
28N A.G.S. Miscellaneous A to O
28P Pins A.G.S.
28Q Rivets A.G.S.
28R A.G.S. Miscellaneous P to R
28S Screws A.G.S. Miscellaneous A to O
28T Studs A.G.S.
28U Trunnions and Turnbuckles A.G.S.
28V Unions A.G.S.
28W Washers A.G.S.
28X Wire A.G.S.
28Y A.G.S. Miscellaneous S to Z
29A Bolts and Nuts, General Hardware
29B Screws, General Hardware
29C Eyelets, Roves, Screw Cups, Washers, General Hardware
29E Pins, Woodruff Keys, General Hardware
29F Rivets, General Hardware

Sandy Hutton
13th Dec 2004, 10:19
Scion; Glad to have been of some help.

Bral; Just off the A9? I'm twixt Perth and Dunkeld, otherwise at Turweston

Jimgriff; That would be AP1086, my old bible at RNAW Almondbank. You missed 28DU, Bolts Unified but I'll let you off.:ok:

jimgriff
13th Dec 2004, 12:15
Damn!
Wondered where that one had gone?

It must have slipped down behind the worktop!!!;)

Scion
15th Dec 2004, 07:27
jimgriff;

Can you tell me where llangennech might be. Might it be near the wild west of Wales as many of the nuts were packed there and dated 15th of May 1950 etc

treadigraph
15th Dec 2004, 11:13
LLangennech is Wild West Wales indeed - between Swansea and Llanelli and pretty much the end of the M4 motorway (thus the known world...)

Map... (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&GridE=-4.0861&GridN=51.6959&lon=-4.0861&lat=51.6959&db=freegaz&lang=&addr1=&client=public&addr2=&advanced=&addr3=&pc=&quicksearch=Llangennech&scale=100000&cidr_client=none&place=Llangennech,Carmarthenshire)

jimgriff
15th Dec 2004, 20:51
Langennech....Wild West Wales!!!!!
Bloody hell treads...Its in South Wales!!!
Wild West Wales is real Wales where the fields are green, the rivers deep and the sheep are worried!!

;)

treadigraph
15th Dec 2004, 22:48
(assume Welsh Accent)

As one Welshishman to another (well almost) anywhere West of Chepstow is Worried Sheep Territory! Let the recriminations commence... :}

Mind you, New South Wales, where even more ('ere me Space Bar don't bleedin' work) Sheep are worried....

Scion
16th Dec 2004, 07:17
Naw, it's New Zealand where they really need concern.
The Welch are only beginners!