PDA

View Full Version : Linksys Wireless System

willby
9th Dec 2004, 21:58
Hi'
Recently purchased a Linksys 802.11g wirless router (model WKPC54G) and notebook adapter card in Florida but having problems getting it to work here at home in Ireland.
When I move any distance away from the router the signal on laptop goes from excellent to non-existant.
The diagnostics all check out and I downloaded a file from the links site which they told me would sort things (NetSysClient.exe) but did,nt help. There are only wooden floors in the house etc. and my bedroom is only about 10 meters from router location.
Any suggestions/checks I can do please?
Willby

Memetic
9th Dec 2004, 22:27
I'd test the laptop against a known good router and the router against a know good laptop / card if you can.

Try changing the orientation of the router, i think they have "diversity" (?) antenna inside.

You say wooden floors, but what about the walls? Some plaster board has foil in to reflect heat, or metal mesh - not good for radio transparency.

You could try and add some gain with a quick bit of "origami" see:
http://www.freeantennas.com/products.htm

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Dec 2004, 02:06
Willby,

We never did get to finish troubleshooting that Wireless NIC. It was not functioning properly when you were here, and I think it might be faulty.

Take Care,

Richard

willby
10th Dec 2004, 14:59
Hi Richard,
It was my son you helped at NAC and the problem has passed to me temporarily! I also suspect the card.

Hi memetric,
Expect to have acess to another laptop with integrated wireless card tonight and hope to be able to confirm where problem lies after tests. Thanks for info.
Will post update later.
Regards
Willby

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Dec 2004, 19:03
Willby,

I did not realize it was Willby Ver. 2.0 that was out here. It is hard to tell with everyone being anonymous on these forums. I do hope we will see both Willby Ver 1.0 & 2.0 in Naples soon. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

willby
10th Dec 2004, 21:13
Hi Richard,
Sounds like there is an imposter out there.!Anyway I can confirm that your diagnostics on the system in question was correct. I am posting this reply from my daughters lap-top with an integrated non lynks card without any problem. Hopefully, Lynks will send a new adapter card when I return the dud.
Hopefully, will get to visit NAC sometime. Have heard nothing but good reports.
Regards
Willby

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Dec 2004, 21:35
Willby,

I am glad to hear you were able to find the problem. Now my fingers are crossed Linksys comes though for you. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. I will see you in paradise when you can make it over. ;)

willby
13th Dec 2004, 20:47
Hi Richard,
Promised an update on my query/problem. Lynks phone support came up trumps with the solution by getting me to go into the router and change the channel from 6 to 1.
Willby

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Dec 2004, 14:59
Willby,

That is an interesting solution. I wonder why Linksys will not work under Channel 6? That is usually the default channel for most wireless cards. :confused:

Take Care,

Richard

willby
16th Dec 2004, 10:29
Hi Richard,
Wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I have a digital cordless phone which also operates in the 2.4 ghz band so maybe ch 6 was being attenuated somewhat by the phone's operating ch.?
Regards
Willby

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Dec 2004, 12:08
Willby,

It did not work in my office on Channel 6 either (and we do not have any cordless phones).

Take Care,

Richard