PDA

View Full Version : AVG Free and Outlook Express

windy1
9th Dec 2004, 20:47
Having updated my XP Pro with SP2 which is said to have a decent firewall (?), I plan to ditch my Norton Package when the sub runs out next week, install Grisoft AVG and activate the XP Firewall. However, the AVG website says it only supports Outlook, whereas I use Outlook Express.

Q1 - Is that support statement the whole story
Q2 - What would happen if I ignore it and continue to use OE? Will OE stop working or will it still work OK, but I will likely get infected quickly via my "always-on".

maxell
9th Dec 2004, 21:10
XP firewall will stop incoming probes but if you want to stop any stray programs accessing the net from your computer without your knowledge you need another firewall
i use sygate as its a freebie and disabled the XP one, I also use avast avg which seems ok you register with an email addy for a code which gives 14 months free updates
avast seems to cover outlook express ok when i use it

max

221B
10th Dec 2004, 11:54
I use XP SP2 Firewall with AVG and Outlook Express on a broadband connection with no problems - compatibility or infection/intrusion.

Tinstaafl
10th Dec 2004, 16:57
I use several barriers:

A router with its own firewall & network address translation.

Zonealarm on every PC as a secondary firewall. I think I might have WinXPs firewall active as well although I don't tend to put much faith in M$ security products.

AVG + Ad-aware + Spybot S&D. I run Ad-aware & Spybot manually from time to time.

And finally I don't use M$ IE, using Opera instead.