PDA

View Full Version : Redundancy Targets Announced 9 Dec

DP Harvey
9th Dec 2004, 18:30
The redundancy targeted branches and ranks were published midday today. The target figure of an RAF establishment of 41K personnel to be achieved by 2008 will be met by "maximising" normal outflow (natural wastage) and 3 redundancy tranches. The 1st of which starts in Apr 05.

No pilots will be in the 1st tranche. No NCA will be in the 1st tranche. Multi-eng navs, ALM and AEO Sqn Ldrs and JOs with 27-31 years service will be in the 1st tranche. Commissioned air engs are not targetted at this stage.

More detailed info is probably available on the MOD website

juliet
9th Dec 2004, 20:08
can you tell us where you got the info from, unable to/not clever enough to find anything on the mod website. cheers

Maple 01
9th Dec 2004, 20:16
Got same info via e-mail from staish, also new copy of U need 2 know:yuk: :rolleyes:

DP Harvey
9th Dec 2004, 20:19
I can tell you that it was an unrestricted signal released at midday today to all unit cdrs, to coincide with a statement by the Armed Forces Minister in the HoC, for Service wide distribution. I have checked the MOD website too, but to no avail. It should be on the "u need 2 know" website on the RAF intranet.

You will certainly hear about it within days, wherever you are.

dopeonarope
9th Dec 2004, 21:51
Official RAF website at http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/news_dec04_01.html does not give any more info than already here.

I am interested to see how this affects my application for re-enlistment....... am I wise?:confused:

The Gorilla
9th Dec 2004, 21:56
Yeah like Commissioned Air Engs would ever be targetted!!

Not as long as one NCA Air Eng remains mate!!

:ok:

paradigm shift
10th Dec 2004, 12:02
RE: the Redundancy Annex C to the DCI.

Does anyone have the FAX number for The Pensions and Redundancy Office in Kentigern House Glasgow.

This is the FAX number that one FAX's the ANNEX C to the DCi to find out actual redundancy benefits.

I am "in the sticks" and dont have access to this number.

Thanks

"A1 will Fly"

Pontius Navigator
10th Dec 2004, 14:25
Apart from the slat kick to the new WSO N the other goolie crusher is the 18 Ops Spt Flt Ops with 18 years or more service. I guess many of these will have been NCO ac commissioned to kick start the branch and other aircrew who were not assimilated to spec aircrew.

Almost like a ritual branch cleansing ot get rid of regressive and reactionary ex-aircrew.

opso
10th Dec 2004, 15:44
There aren't many FltOps JOs with >18yrs reckonable service wef 1 Apr 06 that don't already have an exit date prior to Apr 08 and almost zero chance of assimilation! In short, not only are they sh@t upon, but most of the aircrew transferees won't be eligible for a handshake either. Talk about being fed bull-droppings by PMA... :sad:

Red Line Entry
10th Dec 2004, 15:49
Will some kind soul publish the figures here for those of us without access to the intranet. We're not all on MOBs!

Splash Coxswain
10th Dec 2004, 15:49
P Shift

Try 0141 224 2571 Fax

or 0141 224 3742 Phone

foldingwings
10th Dec 2004, 16:03
RLE

2750 Redundancies Reqd Over next 3 years
Terms of Redundancy in DCI RAF 39/04
Applications for Tranche 1 by 28 Jan 05
Planned Exit Dates on or before 31 Mar 08 excluded

TRANCHE 1

450 personnel
Exit Date by 30 Sep 05
Non-applicants by 31 Mar 06

OFFICERS

GD Branch
All Stars – All DOBs – 5
Gp Capt – DOBs 1 Apr 53 to 30 Jun 57 – 5
Wg Cdr – DOBs 1 Oct 55 to 30 Sep 57 – 10

Flying Branch
WSO(N)ME Sqn Ldr/JO – 27-31 yrs Reck Service (RS) – 6
ALM JO – 19-31 yrs RS – 4
WSO(AE) Sqn Ldr/JO – 28-31 yrs RS – 5

OSB
Flt Ops JO – Over 18 yrs RS – 5

AIRMEN
A Eng Tech
WO Enlist Bef (EB) 1 Apr 73 – <15
FS EB 1 Apr 74 – <25
A Tech (M)
Chf Tech EB 1 Apr 82 – <80
Sgt EB 1 Apr 84 – <90
Cpl EB 1 Apr 88 – <35
A Tech (AV)
Chf Tech EB 1 Apr 84 – <70
Sgt EB 1 Apr 84 – <80
Cpl EB 1 Apr 88 – <12
Eng Tech (W)
FS EB 1 Apr 79 – <10
Chf Tech EB 1 Apr 80 – <10
Sgt EB 1 Apr 82 – <25
Cpl EB 1 Apr 88 – <15
RAF Admin All WO <2
CR All FS <2

TRANCHE 2

1200 by Apr – Sep 06

Officers

GD Branch
Total = 50 Prob

Flying Branch
WSO = 5 Poss
Rear Crew = 5 Poss

Gnd Branch Offs
ATC = 5 Unlikely
Eng = 25 Poss
Supp = 20 Poss

Airmen
TG1 & 2 = 750 Prob
Al Erect = 10 Poss
SE Fitt = 40 Poss
Ptr & Fnr = 30 Poss
Phot = 80 Poss
Pers Admin = 100 Poss
Supp = 50 Poss
Chef = 10 Pos
Cat Acct = 20 Poss

Other Facts

Some restrictions on Extensions of Service will be relaxed in some trades where a manning deficit exists

PC and Assimilation Boards will continue

Tranche 3 will be 1100 between Apr and Sep 07 and numbers will be dependent upon take ups in Tranches 1 & 2

All figures in Tranche 2/3 are provisional and may change depending on Tranche 1 results

Tranche 2 actual quotas will be announced in Apr 05

May result in manpower gaps in some trades as strength reduces ahead of reqt

Pontius Navigator
10th Dec 2004, 19:25
For those who are wondering what the 'upto 2 FS CR' are, our best guess is 'court recorders' possibly on the premise that a smaller slimmer air facre will not have as many courts martials!:O

DP Harvey
11th Dec 2004, 07:37
With 5 MR2 crews about to be disbanded at Kinloss and 5 AEOs with 28-31 years service about to be made redundant, it doesn't auger well for a few folk I know.

The unfortunate coincidence is that this coming Monday 13th, PMA are announcing specific names to fill the new structure of the Kinloss wing in Apr 05. Almost certainly there will be a few AEOs posted onto crews, believing they have the remains of a career ahead of them at Kinloss, but unless their peers volunteer for release they will be put out to grass in Spring 06. Not good news for them.

Regardless of the banter relating to the role of the AEO, none of us, I'm sure, like to see our mates losing their jobs, not to mention losing £50K a year (PAS) (to operate a dimmer switch.....)

Red Line Entry
11th Dec 2004, 08:02
Thanks foldingwings, much appreciated.

(Although its a bit sad to think that for all this IIP and Uneed2know malarky, our elders and betters couldn't have put this unclass info in the public domain right from the start. What's the point of having an official RAF website if it's not used for things like this?)

Spotting Bad Guys
11th Dec 2004, 09:30
Because the Corporate Comms peeps that run the RAF website treat it as a shiny advert/PR tool rather than an internal system! Obviously keeping Joe Public abreast of the latest Typhoon tour is more important than keeping our own people informed!!!!!:mad:
We really do operate in the dark ages, don't we...?

SBG

Best of luck to those eligible and taking the package. I'm not one of them!

MrBernoulli
11th Dec 2004, 11:17
I don't see nearly enough star ranks being made redundant here.

Tranche one only appears to indicate 5. A measly 5? Wasters!

HOODED
11th Dec 2004, 11:39
Ah but just think for the same money as making a Star rank redundant they could maybe get rid of another 3 or 4 Cpl aircraft engineers. We obviously need all these Senior officers to run an Air Force but not anyone to fix the aircraft! Could'nt get my annex C through to Glasgow the other day but aparently the fax had run out of paper. Wonder why?

force_ale
11th Dec 2004, 13:25
Thank god that the people in charge have finally realised that we've too many people involved with aviation in the RAF and not enough people handing out footballs and playing trumpets. However I'm sure that they could have pushed to get a few more hundred aircraft engineers sacked to fund the remaining guys to attend more CCS/AFT/IDT.

Lima Juliet
11th Dec 2004, 20:12
Well with so few aircrew from pointy jets in the plans, I guess that the FRI will be staying...Woopheee!

It's the only way that they can buy my loyalty at the moment - the pill just gets bigger and bigger to swallow.

Anyone heard any rumours on FRI?

LJ :confused:

L1A2 discharged
26th Dec 2004, 22:55
I'me in the bracket ..... however its only 102k and a 11k pension, how will I manage?? Probly won't be selected tho' :(

LoeyDaFrog
29th Dec 2004, 10:27
very few Rock Ape JOs, considering that all those rapier sqns were chopped. ummm, discuss!

SirToppamHat
29th Dec 2004, 10:36
How many Rapier sqns? How many JOs? I suspect a couple of year's promotions to sqn ldr will pick up the slack here.

I wonder how easy it will be for the rocket apes to go back to field duties? Whilst the basic skills may be the same, I suspect that there are significant differences in lifestyle and the job; these will take a bit of getting used to.

STH

Stitchbitch
2nd Jan 2005, 05:06
Looks like some of you will be packing your own parachutes...

SE Fitt = 40 Poss

last one out turn off the lights.:(

Jobza Guddun
2nd Jan 2005, 20:17
And:-

servicing your own aircraft.....

fetching your own spares demands....

fixing your own GSE....

repairing your own navaids....

driving yourself to your aircraft....

cooking your own meals....

:* :*

At least administration will be simpler....:}

Climebear
2nd Jan 2005, 20:23
Jobza Guddun

Well the numbers of adminers were already being run down in light of the introduction of the Joint Personnel Administration toy (hence why they did not feature in phase 1 of the redundancies) where you will be doing a more of your own administration yourselves.

insty66
3rd Jan 2005, 21:39
Climebear

I think that's what he meant:E :ok:

Mikehegland
5th Jan 2005, 08:13
Although this thread is primarily an RAF thread there is a history with the RN here. In the late 90's we also had a major redunancy package thrust at us and it although you could argue that at the time it was warranted, it created the biggest black hole of experience you could imagine.
It soon became clear that the whole thing had been a mistake and guys were sent letters asking them to return.

On my squadron, 3 guys were made redundant and of those 3, 2 are still in (having returned) and one is in the RNR.

One guy, went straight from the main gate towards the recruiting office and was asked the question.... What makes you feel you could become aircrew?

reply,...... well I'm still in date for my medical and Safety drills....does that count ?

OKOC
6th Jan 2005, 17:43
Let's just sit back a minute and analyse the problem..........the geezers who run the RAF (Navy and Army) are only in their particular post for (max) 2 and a half years, civis don't as a rule have this lovely cop-out ie you work for your Boss until he either leaves, dies or retires.

Therefore military blerks only need to impress their 1st/2nd RO for a couple of years and then who gives a flying fcuk (as far as THEY are concerned) about us, the product, welfare-you name it it is all so short-termism and shallow.

Answer: civilianise Innsworth, HQSTC,MOD and all the Gp's and we will end up with ACCOUNTABLE people running our lives, not just OC's and CO's "interested" for 2 years in that particular unit until their next posting whence the whole shallow farce starts again.

So why do we leave? Because our bosses don't stay in one place long enough to either become competent or caring actually-they may walk the walk and talk the talk but it ain't the talk that matters it's the action.
A new job-Wg Cdr PAS (FLYING) may be an idea with a MIN tour length of 5 years (alongside Politburo regular sqn boss to deal with the inconsequential but highly visible aids to promotion brollacks) to help us become a better fighting force and caring airforce once more.

althenick
6th Jan 2005, 18:48
Just a wee observation here, but these redundancies do abosutely nothing to reduce the 2.5:1 nco - Officer ratio in the RAF. (Got this from another thread on the forum) I thought that was one of the imbalances the RAF were trying to fix?

insty66
6th Jan 2005, 19:07
atn

It will not happen in mine or your life time. Take a decision to put ones fellow officers out of a job in large numbers, we simply do not have the leadership required within the RAF to make such a decision.

I have no doubt that this and future redundancies will be greatly oversubscribed, especially from the SNCO level.