PDA

View Full Version : Nac

scientifics
9th Dec 2004, 08:52
Hi, people I am considering Naples for my PPL-JAA fATPL. Would anyone like to share their experiences of the place i.e-instructors, management, value for money, quality of service, accomodation etc.

Regards:cool:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
9th Dec 2004, 09:22
I would suggest you do a search on this one, there have been loads of threads written.

Penworth
9th Dec 2004, 09:31
Agreed. Like Bristol Groundschool, NAC seems to be one of these places which have a few ardent supporters and one or two vociferous dissidents who love nothing better than to get into a slagging match about it. I'm heading out to do my CPL there next year, so like Scientifics would like honest balanced views on the place. However, I doubt I'll get them on a pprune open forum. Scientifics, best bet is to pm a few people who have been to Naples and have been posting sensible articulate posts for a while, and avoid the "one post wonders" who suddenly register to post strongly for or against a particular school.

PW

scientifics
9th Dec 2004, 10:07
Cheers, I have done a few searches and most of the threads I have picked up look like slanging matches. I hoped to start one that was honest, fair and gave a good out look for wanabees like you and I.

dpm
9th Dec 2004, 10:11
There are tons of threads on NAC (and other schools, such as OBA) but they are a bit confusing; they often seem a bit like slanging matches. I read some of them, and had some useful emails with ex-students before I picked NAC. So now I'm just back from there, having picked up JAA and FAA PPLs. As I've said on a previous post, while Naples is not absolutely 100% perfect, I would still recommend them, and I certainly will be going back sometime in the future. The fleet and facilities are just fine (not perfect, but the right balance of quality and price), and my experiences with the instructors, examiners, and staff were all good. I can understand why some people (including posters to this forum) may have had bad experiences in the past; however, I honestly think this shouldn't concern potential students too much. Running a 100% perfect school just isn't feasible, and sometimes people don't get on or things can go wrong. The fundamentals, however, are just fine.

For those who are looking into US schools, don't lose too much sleep over the pprune debates. If you are looking for a US-based JAA school that is also approved for visa issue, then your choices are limited to a small handful of places, so it's almost not worth worry about it---you don't have that many options anyway! If you choose Naples, and you go with a relaxed and cooperative attitude and a sense of humour, then you'll get on just fine and have a great time.

Scientifics and penworth, if you want to pm me then I'll be more than happy to pass on my identity and answer any specific queries. I can also offer a bit of advice (e.g. get all of written exams done in advance!) that'll help you have a good time there. I'm also happy to answer any questions on the forum here; I promise any information I give is balanced.

With all best wishes, dpm.

scientifics
9th Dec 2004, 13:53
cheers for the info guys

dpm
9th Dec 2004, 14:19
Hi folks,

Sorry to prolong another flying-school-in-Florida thread yet again. Just for those who don't know, there's a group of ex-Naples students who post regularly on the flyer forums at flyer.co.uk.. Generally speaking, the flyer forums are not well suited to the full arguments that are sometimes seen on pprune, but are a good source of tips and advice for anyone who plans to visit Naples.

With that, I'll bow out before I get accused of being a fan club member or something . . . .

Cheerio, DPM

PS It's still cold and damp here in the UK so for those Brits who are still out in Naples make sure you enjoy the sunshine. I'm missing it.

little-paddy
9th Dec 2004, 18:46
Yup......Have to agree with DPM on his synopsis. I have been at the school for pretty much all my training and his description has been the most apt to date that I have read on PPRUNE. The instructors are all very good with excellent first time pass rates.

The Ground School is also quite good as far as I am concerend and all my old classmates and the class ahead of me had no problem passing the ATPL exams if they put in a reasonable amount of work.

Good luck whatever you decide,

L-P

AndyDRHuddleston
9th Dec 2004, 22:26
dpm,

You're missing the Florida sun, i'm missing the wet, wild and windy British wx, us pilots are never happy!!! I wish it would freeze for just one day here in Naples, all this hot wx gets u down after a while! :D

ADRH

flighttime2.0
10th Dec 2004, 16:38
ANDY !
If you were doing what you went out there to do in the first place ( the atpl's exams ) heat should not be a problem cos you would be inside studying in the air conditioning all the time.
mind you I do remember you were the one sunbathing while all the time while the rest of the lads were sweating it out in the classroom haha ! goodluck flighttime ...

philmercer
20th Dec 2004, 14:38
Hi.

Just got back from NAC after 5 weeks bathed in gorgeous sunshine!!:cool: Managed to pick up my JAA PPL, night rating and RT license (JUST)!!

The instructors and examiners are all of the highest calibre...and yes Andrew I posted your letter off to the CAA. The Aircraft are generally ok with only a few instances of not being able to fly due to serviceability.

The accomodation is pretty cheap. I spent the entire time at the wellsley Inn as the condo's were all occupied but at least you get breaKfast thrown in. Plenty of places to eat locally and as always in the USA its fairly cheap and lots of it!!

The only advice i would give to anyone going out there to do a PPL with a limited time frame would be to arm yourself with a current confuser and get as many exams knocked out as you can BEFORE you go. Cannot over-emphasise this enough.

Well thats about it. Big hello to Jeff, Ed, Greg, Andrew, Jatin, Oisten.

PM me for more info.