PDA

View Full Version : RN Lynx down.

Eagle 270
8th Dec 2004, 19:46
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4080531.stm

Not looking good.......

Prob already been seen but a bit more info over at http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1163399,00.html

Man-on-the-fence
8th Dec 2004, 20:39
Fingers and toes crossed for the crew. I didnt think there were Lynx based at Culdrose, I stand to be corrected though.

Edited to add that I have heard unconfirmed info that sorts the question out, but will not post until confirmed.

Mikehegland
8th Dec 2004, 20:52
Hear Hear. I dont think they are based at Culdrose either but regardless of that lets hope the search is fruitful. Our thoughts are with you all guys.

Green Flash
8th Dec 2004, 21:07
Fingers & everything else crossed from all at ISK. Hang in there boys

snafu
8th Dec 2004, 21:39
Just listened to an interview with someone from Falmouth coastguard on TV down here.

Montrose was initially assigned as on-scene Cdr with St Albans assisting. 2 SK launched from Culdrose, 1 from Chivenor, Falmouth lifeboat all searching at the moment and Illustrious en-route, due to join the search by midnight.

Keeping everything crossed for the crew..

greenhaven
8th Dec 2004, 22:40
Hope and pray this one turns out okay for all involved. My thoughts are with them this evening.

Echo the sentiments about the confusing report about the Lynx - certainly no SAR Lynx based at Culdrose, although it's currently playing host to a Lynx det.

Enough said for the time being, i think, until confirmation is received.

Greener Pastures
8th Dec 2004, 22:50
Let's just hope the boys (and girls) are OK, it's a cold night but a calm one. God bless.

Sorry, Change to my last, I hope the boys, OR, Girls are OK. I don\'t know antything more than the rest of you.
VFP

Razor61
9th Dec 2004, 00:17
I think there are some Dutch and/or German Lynx based at Culdrose for FOST etc.... i stand corrected though.

ukatco_535
9th Dec 2004, 06:45
As an ex Lynx Obs, my fingers are crossed for a happy outcome, Thoughts have to go out to the families at times like these

dakotaman
9th Dec 2004, 07:02
RN Lynx was HMS PORTLAND flight

glum
9th Dec 2004, 07:21
Radio 2 news reported the Lynx was from Yeovilton...

jEtGuiDeR
9th Dec 2004, 07:39
My thoughts are with the families of the missing crew, their oppos on 815 Sqn and the crew of HMS Portland.
Was a long night and the SAR crews did a great job as usual.

Air search resumed at first light. Everything crossed here.

Paul McKeksdown
9th Dec 2004, 08:05
Lynx was based at Yeovilton and operating from HMS Portland.

Investigation is now under way so please keep supposition under control until the facts are known.

Thanks

propulike
9th Dec 2004, 08:39
Wreckage found - TBC it's from the Lynx.

Still keeping it all crossed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/4080943.stm

professor moriarty
9th Dec 2004, 08:56
Flying over the sea at night brings its own hazards.

My thoughts and prayers are there with the crew, families and oppos.

bad livin'
9th Dec 2004, 09:35
Very sad. I hope something good can come of this worrying turn of events.

As already written, thoughts to the families.

BL

VoicesFromTheCreche
9th Dec 2004, 10:52
Our thoughts and condolences to the families of our esteemed colleagues and friends.

be sure we'll be raising a glass to you over the coming weeks.

VFTC

Vox Populi
9th Dec 2004, 11:32
BBC reporting wreckage of Lynx located on seabed.

Navaleye
9th Dec 2004, 13:19
Apparently the Lynx was at low level searching for a false MOB. You can never take chances but the navy has routines for doing an MOB roll call in less than 5 minutes, less time than it takes to lower the sea boat, so I'm surprised it got that far. Everything crossed for the crew and families concerned and thanks to the French for chipping in.

InTgreen
9th Dec 2004, 13:42
Navaleye,

It is my understanding that shouts were audible out to sea from the frigates in the area, so a 'possible' mob was called. Military assets in the area did confirm their crews accounted for. It just makes it all the sadder if it was a false alarm... however, who knows.

Regards to all those at 815, thoughts with the families.

'For all those in peril on the sea/in the air'

Spanish Waltzer
9th Dec 2004, 14:15
Another Lynx tragedy and whatever the cause made even worse by the fact that they were out trying to help others. All this and just before Christmas. Thoughts and prayers with the RN Lynx community and their families.

As an aside does anyone know whether the SAR helos from Culdrose were scrambled for the initial man overboard call or only once the Lynx went missing. One would have thought that a dedicated SAR unit only 20 miles away would have been the obvious asset to use. Was the Lynx scrambled from a ship or from Culdrose?

Also, unless I'm mistaken I believe the usual crew for a RN lynx is 2. I assume they had supplemented the crew to assist with the search. Prayers therefore too to the ships company.

InTgreen
9th Dec 2004, 14:24
Culdrose and I believe Chivenor were scrambled to the initial call, with the seconds cab from 771 scrambling as the Lynx was reported missing.

Feneris
9th Dec 2004, 15:47
Copied from link "majority of the aircraft's frame" had been found on the seabed...."

Fingers crossed, but that doesn't sound good.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,11816,1369955,00.html

Vox Populi
9th Dec 2004, 16:45
Radio now reporting four bodies found in sea close to crash site.

rip.

Skeleton
9th Dec 2004, 17:02
Been confirmed.

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/4080943.stm)

RIP.

Mikehegland
9th Dec 2004, 17:58
A truly sad sad day. Thoughts and prayers go to the friends and families of the guys. RIP.

God guard and guide us as we fly,
Through the great spaces of the sky,
Be with us as we take to air,
In morning light and sunshine fair.
Eternal Father, strong to save,
Give us courage and make us brave,
Protect us whereso'er we go,
From shell and flak and fire and foe.

Most loved member of our crew,
Ride with us up in the blue.
Direct our bombs upon the foe,
But shelter those whom thou dost know.

Keep us together on our way.
Grant our work success today.
Deliver us from hate and sin
And bring us safely down again.

O'God protect us as we fly,
Through lonely ways across the sky.

OKOC
9th Dec 2004, 18:21
God bless the families.

EDIT: Sorry! But I cannot allow those comments so soon after the event. There will time enough when the facts are known. But speculation is an untrained enemy.

PPP

Mikehegland
9th Dec 2004, 18:23
Probably best not to speculate on what the cause is just yet. That may take some time. However, the RN don't do crew duty time. When embarked they are on duty 24/7.

goffer hopper
9th Dec 2004, 18:56
Very sad turn of events for another courageous naval crew. i knew one of the guys involved and he will be sadly missed. my thoughts are with the families, their collegues at 815 and the crew of HMS Portland. It is a sad christmas for WAFUs.

seven4mankind
9th Dec 2004, 19:06
The saddest day, absolutely devastated at the loss of a great friend. At a loss for words.

RIP all the crew

snafu
9th Dec 2004, 19:15
"The cockpit was my office. It was a place where I experienced many emotions and learned many lessons. It was a place of work, but also a keeper of dreams. It was a place of deadly serious encounters, yet there I discovered much about life. I learned about joy and sorrow, pride and humility, and fear, and overcoming fear. I saw much from that office that most people would never see. At times it terrified me, yet I could always feel at home there... Though it was a place where I could quickly die, the cockpit was a place where I truly lived."

Brian Shul, "Sled Driver"

My thoughts are with your families, your friends and your colleagues. RIP guys.

WE Branch Fanatic
9th Dec 2004, 19:50
RIP to the people killed, and sincere condolences to their famillies and friends, including their colleagues in both 815 NAS and HMS Portland.

Dancing Bear
9th Dec 2004, 20:30
An extreemely sad day for all at 815 NAS and onboard HMS PORTLAND, my heartfelt condolences to all of the families involved and all those who knew them.

RIP

Guern
9th Dec 2004, 21:25
My thoughts are with all the family and friends.

A very sad day.

God bless.

Jordan D
9th Dec 2004, 21:38
Thoughts and condolences to all concerned.

May the crew RIP.

Jordan

Jon Dunn
9th Dec 2004, 22:14
A good friend who will be sorely missed by all in the fast jet world who knew him. RIP bro. My condolences to all the families and friends. She's not made of wood you know!

Brian Dixon
9th Dec 2004, 23:02
My sincere condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of those tragically lost in the accident.

May they RIP.
Brian

Synthetic
10th Dec 2004, 00:02
To the Gentlemen (and Ladies) who gave their lives that we sleep a little safer, - respect. To their families and loved ones, sympathies.

May they rest in peace

Longstick
10th Dec 2004, 08:05
RIP

There have been many good times, may they never be forgotten.

You will be missed

Mikehegland
10th Dec 2004, 08:13
RIP good friends.

Fella, you were indeed a top, top man A fine aviator, a quality observer and above all a good mate. You will be sorely missed by all your friends and family.

The Swinging Monkey
10th Dec 2004, 08:18
My sincere condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of those tragically lost in the accident. Tis a sad, sad day for all aviators

Rest in Peace fellow warriers.

God bless
TSM

Arkroyal
10th Dec 2004, 09:18
Just the other day, I was editing some old video footage in to the digital age.

There, grinning and laughing together in one frame of an elicit cabin party aboard my namesake, Jack London and Bill Murton.

Brought a tear to my eye. Then heard about this.

To Quote Blackadder:

'bugger'

Mikehegland
10th Dec 2004, 09:40
ARK -

It never gets easier. Seems to get worse as you get older actually.

I've lost some top mates in flying accidents and I suppose the only comfort is that they died doing something they loved. That was certainly the case with this weeks accident. Sadly missed.

Arkroyal
10th Dec 2004, 09:51
Indeed, Mike.

I'd turn the clock back and do it all again, regardless of the outome. Perhaps in a second life, my oppos could get the chance to grow into the cantankerous old fart I am.

Crap Christmas coming up for four families.

My thoughts are with them

Can you PM me the names?

AllTrimDoubt
10th Dec 2004, 10:34
It never gets easier.

RIP

timzsta
10th Dec 2004, 11:13
My deepest sympathies to those who have lost friends and loved ones.

This has become an all to common occurence in the three years since I left the RN. I think it brings to 14 the number of aircrew lost in that period which is so terribly sad.

I cannot but fear there must be some underlying cause for such a marked increase in fatal accidents. We owe it to those who have lost loved ones and those who continue to serve to determine what this cause is.

RIP

We will remember them.

801 NAS Fighter Controller 2000-2002

BootFlap
10th Dec 2004, 11:21
I hope there's a place, way up in the sky,
Where aircrew can go, when they have to die.
A place where a guy can get a cold beer
For a friend or a comrade whose memory is dear.
A place where no doctor or lawyer can tread,
And a scribbly-type would not be caught dead!
Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke!
The kind of a place where a lady could go,
And feel safe and secure by the men she would know.

There MUST be a place where old aircrew go,
When their wings become weary, and their airspeed gets low;
Where the whisky is old, and the women are young,
And songs about flying and dying are sung.
Where you'd see all your mates, who'd "flown west"
before,
And they'd call out your name, as you walked thru the door,
Who would buy you a drink, if your thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was such a nice lad!"

And there thru the mist you'd spot an old guy
You’d not seen for years, though he'd taught YOU to fly,
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear,
And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased you are here!
For this is the place where true flyers come,
When the battles are over, and the wars have been won;
We've come here at last, to be safe and alone,
From the government clerk, and the management clone,
Politicians and lawyers, police and the noise,
Where all Hours are Happy, and these good ol' boys,
Can relax with a 'cool one', and a well deserved rest.."
"Cos this is Heaven my son, you've passed your last test!"

(Copied from a previous thread)

Seemed appropriate. RIP

Spanish Waltzer
10th Dec 2004, 13:30
From BBC news:

Liberal Democrat defence spokesman and South East Cornwall MP Colin Breed said the inquiry would look into the continued safety of the Lynx.

He said: "They are due for replacement, and the replacement will obviously be designed in a way that we hope will make it more safe.

"But we don't underestimate the enormous amount of servicing that these aircraft go through with huge replacement programmes.

"They may be an elderly aircraft, but they use very new parts when they show any signs of wear."

Edited: PPP

BootFlap
10th Dec 2004, 13:47
'Spanish', it really is not unusual to take parts out of an aircraft, re-condition them etc, and fit them back in. These are probably what he means. This is pretty standard practice and the engineers who do it are good lads. I have never been worried about getting in a jet where there are 'nearly new' parts. How many people drive around with re-conditioned engines?

I would suggest it is the wrong time for you to make any inference. Family and friends will probably read this thread, our thoughts are with them.

Vox Populi
10th Dec 2004, 13:52
Crew named (http://news.mod.uk/news/press/news_headline_story.asp?newsItem_id=3039)

The crew have been named as:

Lieutenant Dave Cole was an Observer and the Commander of 229 Flight. Aged 34, he was married and lived in Dorset.

Lieutenant Rob Dunn, aged 29, was a Pilot. He was engaged to be married and also lived in Dorset.

Lieutenant Jamie Mitchell, an Observer, was 29 and came from Dundee. He was single.

LAEM Richard Darnell, the Flight Engineer and Winchman, was 31; single, he lived in Torquay.

WOFU
10th Dec 2004, 14:08
Yet another terrible tragedy to afflict the Lynx community. These guys have had a very! tough few years. My deepest sympathies go to all of the families and work colleagues who no doubt will be feeling a deep sense of sorrow and loss particularly at this time of year.

Lets hope none of lessons learned from previous accidents becomes a factor. The accident investigators at Yeovilton are top guys who will work tirelessly i'm sure. It's a great shame they have been so busy over the last few years!

santiago15
10th Dec 2004, 17:02
I'd known Rob since our days on ELUAS. He was an absolute gent who always wore a smile on his face; the kind of guy you could go out with on a quiet Monday night and still have a blast. The prospect of never again having a beer with him rips my heart out.

My thoughts go out to his fiancee - a lovely lady who filled his life with happiness - and the rest of his family. I can only hope time will ease their pain.

Rob, the world is a lesser place without you and you'll be sorely missed.

rescue
10th Dec 2004, 19:15
My deepest condolences to the families and friends, our thoughts are with you and all those in HMS Portland and the Lynx community - keep your chins up.

Good effort 771 and all involved in the search, our thoughts with you also.

TO ABSENT FRIENDS

RNAV8R
10th Dec 2004, 20:51
:(
My deepest condolences to family and friends - I didn't know any of the boys very well, but I remember well the devastation caused when we lost the Bags last year. RIP Boys, there is a hell of a team waiting up there to welcome you with few pints.

Oggin Aviator
10th Dec 2004, 21:11
A devasting event, whenever it happens.

RIP DC and your Boys, you will not be forgotten.

Oggin

wg13_dummy
10th Dec 2004, 22:49
A truly sad day for 815 and all around the larger community. One cannot describe the emotions each time we hear of the sad passing of fellow aviators. Knowing them or not, it is never easy.

My thoughts and respects to the family, squadron and all of those affected by this tragic episode.

May we learn and understand the harsh realities of life.

Never has the toast 'Absent friends' been so apt.

Spotting Bad Guys
10th Dec 2004, 23:59
Another sad loss, and my sympathies to the families, friends and colleagues.

Aye

SBG

goldcup
11th Dec 2004, 07:15
I'll just echo santiago15's comments. Flying scholarship then 4 years on ELUAS with Rob. Top bloke and the world's a poorer place without him.

RIP mate.

olddog
11th Dec 2004, 08:11
I also would like to add my respects for those taken from us far too soon. I also knew Rob on ELUAS - I recruited him. A lovely smiling chap with a good pair of hands. May they rest in peace.

bad livin'
11th Dec 2004, 10:49
Jamie was a great bloke. Saw him recently at Collingwood where he descirbed how pleased he was to be joining a flight at last. We attended a good mutual friend's wedding last summer too. What a sad loss.

greenhaven
11th Dec 2004, 12:03
Bumped into DC whilst on Flight Safety course at Yeovilton over the summer, and remember discussing with him over a cup of tea "what it all means" (those of you who have been in that hangar will know what it means ), the job we do, the element of risk involved in every flight we make. The conversation got round to whether we'd swap it in for a desk job, the 9-to-5, the routine, and so on. After i'd finished bleating about the endless paperwork, the nause, niff naff and trivia, he simply said:

"but getting up there, doing what we do, makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it? Wouldn't swap it for anything, really, would you?"

No, mate, i wouldn't.

Never a truer word spoken.

RIP

boyassassin
12th Dec 2004, 17:11
Rob rest easy mate.
My thoughts are with your family and also with the families of your crewmates.

Fanstop
12th Dec 2004, 17:59
Rest in peace jamie mate

Thoughts to all families at this terrible time.

cobaltfrog
12th Dec 2004, 18:00
Very respectful and nice memorial service held at BRNC for all the lost. Very moving and attended by the aircrew at the College who had the privledge of knowing those that perished. The Aviators verse of the Naval Hymn was sung and a candle burns bright on the altar and will continue to do so for the rest of term.

A fitting tribute to those starting a journey to peace and happiness. I have never seen the College Chapel so full.

RIP our thoughts as ever, are with you and your families.

Synthetic
12th Dec 2004, 22:14
Very sad. My commiserations to all the relatives of these special people who cheerfully put their lives on the line for others.

sweep complete
12th Dec 2004, 23:18
Another sad loss... Rest In Peace Guys

Sincere condolences to families and friends

SC

Dancing Bear
13th Dec 2004, 15:44
Has anybody heard of plans for a memorial service at the FAA church??

Out of the aviation world at the minute so would appreciate any info.

Cobaltfrog, great to hear the college has had such a moving service.

RIP

seven4mankind
13th Dec 2004, 20:50
All my thoughts with the families of the boys; we will all be thinking of you over Christmas.
I'd known Rob for years, since Cranwell and through the "Tiger" flight years at Linton and onwards. He was simply one of the nicest men you could hope to meet and I am proud that he was my mate.
I would give anything for another 5 minutes with him and this time I'd make sure to tell him how much he meant to me.

Take it easy matey.

RIP all the boys

God bless

HongKongKiwi
15th Dec 2004, 07:19
I was very sorry to hear of this tragic news. Amazing how these incidents echo around the world. My thoughts are with the families of all involved and to the friends and colleagues of Rob. He was a fine Tiger cub, and a truly decent fellow!
RIP mate.

whiz
15th Dec 2004, 08:07
I would give anything for another 5 minutes with him and this time I'd make sure to tell him how much he meant to me.

Ive lost count of the times Ive heard and thought that.
Everyone out there who is flying today, look around you, and if you look at someone that makes you think of the quote above, then tell them now, do it today. DO NOT wait until its a regret.

RIP guys

nick0021
16th Dec 2004, 12:35
so, so, so sorry. i am at a total loss for words. may God be with the families of the aircrew at this deeply difficult time. God bless their souls.

RIP

AndyLyle
16th Dec 2004, 15:08
I had the pleasure of sharing a flat With Rob Dunn during university, and also the pleasure of many a blurry night in the ELUAS THQ with many other like minded souls (names witheld to protect the innocent, you know who you are!)

Rob will be sorely missed, he was a true gentleman and a scholar (so thats what we were supposed to be doing at uni) and my condolences go out to his family, Fi, the families of the rest of the crew and anyone who knew them who are also feeling their loss.

Words don't really convey how much of a loss to us all this is, so I'll keep it simple. Miss you Rob, rest in peace.

Andy, the tall irish muppet who was lucky enough to call you a friend.

santiago15
16th Dec 2004, 19:02
Andy,

I remember you well (you still sporting the ponytail?)
Sad news indeed

grimfixer
17th Dec 2004, 21:46
Have been checking the site over the last couple of days and there have been so many tributes and words of condolence it is a measure of how much the boys were thought of by us all. Just PM' d dancing bear about his request for info on the funerals. Anyone wanting to attend and needing these details pse PM me and I will pass them on.

Sad time, but unimaginable for the families.

Hope to see you there to help ease their burden.

Ops and Mops
20th Dec 2004, 10:23
****..... :(

Just got back from being away and found that the crew has been named.

I knew Rob from his ELUAS days (although I was a Lion!). A fine chap with time for anyone and a pint. Another good bloke is lost.....

My thoughts are with the family and friends of all of the crew. It is at times like this that the Tri Service Family comes into it's own.

RIP

Classic62
21st Dec 2004, 14:02
Ah, Rob, why you? Why are all the good ones taken too soon and the arseholes just never go away.

Too many memories for one small email to cope with. ELUAS, Uni and life in general will never look the same again.

RIP good friend.

wine~ot
3rd Jan 2005, 01:21
Rob. Good man, good laugh, good pilot. Most of all, good bloke. Enough said I think. Thoughts to family.
RIP.

serf
4th Jun 2005, 17:38
http://www.thecourier.co.uk (www.thecourier.co.uk)

report in the local paper today

vecvechookattack
6th Jun 2005, 09:12
Fatal crash copter crew may have faced major fault
By Stefan Morkis

A ROYAL Navy inquiry into the cause of a helicopter crash that claimed the lives of two Dundee airmen has been unable to determine the reason for the accident.

However, their report suggests that the crew experienced a major malfunction and were forced to cut power to the helicopter’s rotor as they attempted to correct the fault.

The inquiry also found that it would be virtually impossible to recover from such a situation while flying at low level over the sea at night.

Pilot Lieutenant Robert Dunn (26), from Broughty Ferry, and naval aviator Lieutenant Jamie Mitchell (29), from Dundee, and two other crew members died when their Lynx helicopter came down off the coast of Cornwall last December.

They were carrying out a search and rescue mission around 17 nautical miles off Lizard Point when the helicopter crashed into the sea.

Despite interviewing 27 witnesses and examining radar data tapes and the technical accident investigation findings, the inquiry was unable to pinpoint the exact cause of the crash.

Its efforts have been hampered by the lack of any type of an accident data recorder, cockpit voice recorder—both of which were destroyed—or emergency radio report from the crew prior to the crash.

The inquiry has managed to determine the sequence of events that led up to accident.

The helicopter had been launched from HMS Portland at 6.20 pm on December 8 to assist in a search and rescue mission after HMS Montrose had reported a man overboard.

At 7.03 pm the helicopter descended to 100 feet above sea level as the crew searched and radioed in their position. After completing two orbits of a search pattern and about two minutes after reporting their position, the helicopter crashed.

Surveys of the wreckage of the helicopter on the seabed showed that although it was upright on the sea floor, it had suffered extensive damage.

Data from the aircraft’s radar tapes showed that when it hit the sea it had an extremely low forward speed but an extremely high rate of descent.

The initial investigation by the Royal Navy Flight Safety and Accident Investigation Centre indicated that neither of the helicopter’s engines was providing significant power to the rotor system at the time of the impact and that both appeared to have been shut down manually before the accident.

This action is known as a crash check and is extremely dangerous when flying at a low level over sea at night.

Therefore, the board of inquiry believes that the crew would only have taken this action if they had been firmly convinced they were dealing with a major emergency.

Simulations carried out after the accident also suggest that crew believed they had no other option but to cut power to the rotor because of a perceived major incident rather than inadvertently descending into the sea.

The inquiry was also unable to determine whether Lt Dunn was wearing his contact lenses when the helicopter crashed and so was unable to say whether this had been a contributory cause or not—thereby not completely ruling out the possibility of pilot error.

However, the inquiry did say that it was unlikely that a combination of disorientation and a minor malfunction had caused the crew to erroneously believe they had suffered a major malfunction.

The board of inquiry has made several recommendations in the wake of the crash, including that the RNFSAIC continues the investigation into the crash.

Wilma Donnelly, mother of Jamie Mitchell, said last night, “Whatever the inquiry finds will not bring my son back. The main concern of all the families was that there was no blame attached to anyone.”

Fully concur with Jaime's mum. God rest lads.