PDA

View Full Version : A question about Bournemouth(CATC)

flyingwingofjazzdestiny
17th Mar 2002, 17:35
Hello,. . I`m heading down to live in Bournemouth in July.. .I was wondering if anyone who has been through CATC could tell me what life as a student Air Traffic controller is like financially on a day to day basis. Is it a struggle? Are there any . .hidden costs I should be aware of? Does salary. .and WAP payment equal a comfortable existence?. .I am completely in the dark and keen to . .sort out my finances. . .Any info would be greatly appreciated.. .FWOJD

Standard Speeds
17th Mar 2002, 23:40
FWOJD,. .. .Doubt you'll be hard up! There aren't that many careers that start you on £22k per annum, for doing nothing other than passing the tests and interviews!. .. .As to whether or not you'll live comfortably rather depends on how canny you are at getting others to buy you a drink, how much debt you have already and how you run your finances. It has been some years (more than 2, but less than 10!) since I was there, but money (on the salary) wasn't a problem in all honesty. Accommodation is covered nicely by the WAP (now tax free, butnot when I was there - not that I'm annoyed or anything!) and £17k should give you a nice pay packet after tax.. .. .The only hidden costs are your own financial habits or weaknesses! Do go out and enjoy yourself, but perhaps don't rush out on the strength of your salary and take out a 5 year mega loan to buy the car of your dreams! You might, God forbid, not make it to a successful end. Wouldn't advocate buying a property down there either!. .. .Enjoy CATC as best you can! ATC Life improves (even if you don't think it could!?!) once you leave the college and validate! Dot the i's and cross the t's, say yes and no to those that like to hear it, do the work, and with a bit of grace and favour (Oh! and aptitude!) you should keep those paypackets rolling in! Unless we go bankrupt, that is!. .. .Final point: Join the union (despite what you may have read or heard - it is your safest bet to fair representation) and sign up for the pension!. . . . <small>[ 17 March 2002, 19:42: Message edited by: Standard Speeds ]</small>

JustAnotherVictim
18th Mar 2002, 16:15
FWOJD,. .. .See you in July, I'm due to start the same course.. .. .Where exactly is CATC situated in Bournemouth? Is it at the airport itself or somewhere completely different? What is the public tansport like around there? I don't really fancy taking my car down all that way!!. .. .Best wishes,. .. .JAV

flyingwingofjazzdestiny
18th Mar 2002, 17:20
Standard Speeds,. . Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate the advice.. .. .Just Another Victim - I`m taking a trip to. .Bournemouth in the Easter holidays to check out. .the lay of the land etc.. .Look forward to meeting you in July!

5milesbaby
18th Mar 2002, 18:26
Car definately needed. CATC is at the airport, when you get there you can't miss it. Public transport as I believe doesn't exist in that part of the land, however staying in Westby Road in Boscombe normally guarantees numorous chances of scabbing a lift off other students!!!