PDA

View Full Version : Cranfield info please!

UniGirl
7th Dec 2004, 20:21
I'm doing a piece of coursework on Cranfield at the moment and wondering if any one might be able to tell me what sort of larger arcraft might be able to operate out of the airport as it is at the moment? I understand that it has about a 1700m long runway. So would this mean some of the smaller executive jets could operte from it or do they already? Any info would be greatly apreciated! :ok:

xz0npz
7th Dec 2004, 20:32
Last flew into Cranfield this summer. The main runway 04/22 is 1799 meters long and does take business jets (and there were a couple there when I flew in). Cranfield can take anything up to Boeing Business Jet size (B737NG).

Try the link below for more info:

http://www.cranfieldairport.co.uk/

we_never_change
7th Dec 2004, 20:33
There has recently been a BAe146 based at Cranfield (think it was G-LUXE, the weatherchasing one) & have noted a Gulfstream 4 business plane inbound before.

WNC

UniGirl
7th Dec 2004, 20:42
Great thanks... that gives me something to work with!

Wycombe
7th Dec 2004, 22:17
I seem to remember a Britannia 767-200 landed there once.

Anorak off....

8th Dec 2004, 10:12
I've lived in Cranfield for 25 years so I've seen a few things into and out of the airport....

Don't remember ever seeing or hearing of a 767, but that's not to steal Wycombe's thunder(!) - it's certainly possible.

We've just had a 146 depart out of the window and I've seen 737's, all manner of exec jets (Falcons, Gulfstreams, Learjets, Citations) and just about every conceivable GA aircraft you can think of.

Oshkosh George
8th Dec 2004, 13:01
And I seem to remember the MATS Connie and Lancaster at a couple of PFA Rallies.

cortilla
8th Dec 2004, 13:58
and not too long ago a DC-3

Simtech
8th Dec 2004, 19:37
The BAe146-300 G-LUXE is indeed based at Cranfield. It has been converted into an atmospheric sampling aircraft as part of the FAAM (Facility for Airborne Atmospheric Measurement) project.

Britannia did put a 767-200 into Cranfield. Some of their cadet pilots were training with Trent Air Services (remember them?) and the 767 was there to celebrate their graduation. It flew them to Shannon I seem to recall.

We get all kinds of aircraft into Cranfield. It is one of the few places where the runway can be flooded for water ingestion trials. I saw the Fokker 100 and Dornier 328 when they visited as part of their certification programme. We also used to get quite a few military visitors doing ILS runs, usually Dominies and C130s and, on one memorable occasion, a VC-10. These days the visitors seem to be confined to Pumas and Chinooks. If anyone with influence in the MoD is reading this, MORE PLEASE!!

Regards,

Simtech

(Located directly under the approach to EGTC Rwy 22, 5 miles out) :ok:

UniGirl
8th Dec 2004, 20:18
Thanks that helps alot, struggling to finish my coursework for Friday with a stonking cold! Being able to imagine the size of aircraft helps!

Tempsford
8th Dec 2004, 21:30
I can remember seeing Vanguards there
Temps

Northern Hero
8th Dec 2004, 21:59
Are the Lightnings still there ?

5150 - Would have liked to have seen the 146 departing out of the window...did it break the glass ??;)

Simtech
8th Dec 2004, 22:46
XS458, a Lightning T 5 is beautifully preserved at Cranfield. It makes an occasional high speed run down the runway. Some of the other Lightnings are (I think) airworthy with Mike Beachy-Head and his Thunder City operation at Capetown.

Vulcan XH558 made its last public display at Cranfield and spent some time on the ground there. Concorde also visited for one of the displays - it made a superb sight as it flew over the house at about 1500' but I can't remember if it actually landed.

Jinkster
9th Dec 2004, 20:40
Check your PM unigirl.

jinkster

Volume
10th Dec 2004, 06:14
I came to Cranfield in a BeechJet 400, only problem was the british weather (but this would be a discussion on Jetblast..)