PDA

View Full Version : can this be correct??

h999
7th Dec 2004, 19:59
Thought you had to be 17 to obtain your licence, link below shows somebody aged 16 having obtained their PPL(A). Have the rules changed??

click here (http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/eveningchronicle/eveningchronicle/page.cfm?objectid=14949299&method=full&siteid=50081)

BEagle
7th Dec 2004, 21:09
"His mum Alison, 38, who works in Ikea, said: "From the age of three he wanted to be a barrister and then a few years ago he suddenly got interested in flying."

Huh - YGBSM, right? WTF does any 3 year old know about barristers?

From LASORS: "An applicant for a JAR-FCL PPL(A) shall be at least 17 years of age but some of the required qualifications for the grant of the licence may be gained earlier."

DFC
7th Dec 2004, 21:45
Perhaps it is partially possible.

If they guy started flying at 14 and put in the hours that the article says, he should be well able to pass the LST on his 16th birthday.

However, before he can get his hands on the piece of paper he must;

a) Get some solo flying done (he can't have done it all on his birthday as well as the GFT) and;

b) Turn 17!

More likely that the journo mixed up 16 and 17.

Regards,

DFC

Krallu
8th Dec 2004, 08:20
Hi!

Can't it be a recreational licence?
Isn't 16 the age for that type of licence?

GusHoneybun
8th Dec 2004, 08:31
DFC,

not entirely correct there old bean.

to sit the LST for a PPL, he must have completed the flying requirements of the course. as we know this includes 25 hours dual and 10 hours solo. now, he can't go solo until his 16th birthday, so he still needs to put in 10 hours solo before he can sit the LST. a tall order on your birthday methinks.

mad_jock
8th Dec 2004, 10:11
What age do they let you go solo in the US?

I suppose you could do a JAR approved school in the US and have all the requirements done.

But i seem to remember we didn't put the 16 year old students forward for test until 3 months before thier 17th birthday.

mj

'I' in the sky
8th Dec 2004, 14:05
Krallu,

No recreational licence in UK. Minimum age for both recreational and private in US still 17.

HiSpeedTape
8th Dec 2004, 21:06
Journalistic pap (or a genuine typo);)

TOPJET973K
9th Dec 2004, 15:18
HST & gang

Yeh, was actually the young lads 1st solo circuit so the journo's bummed that up.

From what I hear a perfect 1000ft and no hold at end of down wind!

Good luck Mark!

Krallu
10th Dec 2004, 06:33
Ah, ok.

Just heard of the recreational licence.
In Sweden we don't have the recreational licence at all.