PDA

View Full Version : Tucano anthropometric limits

ACW599
7th Dec 2004, 19:04
One of our VGS staff cadets has expressed an interest in applying for RAF aircrew next year. However, he's rather on the (ahem) large side. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Tucano has quite limiting anthropometric conditions -- anyone on here know exactly what they are?

Many thanks.

John

mbga9pgf
7th Dec 2004, 19:15
John,

in simple terms there is no particular minumum or maximum height allowed; the anthro measurements take many features into account, including a rather important bum-to knee length. This topic has cropped up before fairly recently on the website, as I remember, the measurements required may have been included. From memory, the Tucano is not the limiting factor, as studes have passed Linton to find subsequently they dont fit in the hawk. If you do a quick search on the site you may find exact details. Your station medical officer may be able to actually carry the measurements out if you ask politely and they are not too busy.

PS, are you from Sealand? Recognise the 5xx callsign form a past life, thats all!

airborne_artist
7th Dec 2004, 20:13
recently posted - please do an accuracy check:

Weight - 56.6- 96.5Kg

Functional Reach - Min 720mm

Sitting Height - 865 - 990

865 - 990mm

Buttock - Knee
560 - 660mm

Buttock- Heel
1000 - 1200mm

ACW599
7th Dec 2004, 20:27
My apologies: I'd forgotten this topic had been covered recently. Thanks very much for the information, and also the suggestion to ask the SMO to check. In fact the guy in question has his annual medical coming up shortly, so that should be an ideal opportunity.

Wonder what the issue with the Hawk anthro is? Weight, or buttock-to-knee?

John (who'd sell his soul to the devil for a Tucano ride but suspects his own bum-to-knee might be a trifle excessive. . .)

FEWNCOP
7th Dec 2004, 20:36
Seem to remember that the Hawk limit was farely similar to the Tucano. However, if you were above a certain all up weight, the seat was no longer 0-0. You had to be doing 70kts to bang out. Not sure if this has changed - it's been a while!!

PH98
7th Dec 2004, 21:11
I think the hawk limit is buttock to knee. That's why you have to get trial winched out of it if you're on the large side.

Flik Roll
7th Dec 2004, 21:26
I posted the limits for size and it was from my med for the UAS in December so im sure it's pretty acurate!

PH98
7th Dec 2004, 21:29
I'm sure they are, I just meant that the buttock-knee is the one that tall people tend to have a problem with in the hawk especially.

StopStart
7th Dec 2004, 22:02
Hawk limit is buttock - knee, or at least it was for me and one other tall bloke on my BFTS course.