PDA

View Full Version : the chosen career

D'vay
7th Dec 2004, 17:38
After years of procrastination, it is now time for me to seriously consider my options and start on the path to becoming a pilot. I have completed a trial lesson which confirmed my desires. As we are all well aware, our chosen career is not by any means cheap. In order to afford to train I have to pay as I go and save almost all of the money that I earn above sbsistence. Being 22 I am not a home owner and do not own any stock or bonds ruling out all chance of an HSBC loan. I have considered a career development loan for some stage (possibly when I think of doing the CPL). I am intent that I shall go to Tulsa to study for a PPL (through the riverside flight school [any views of this school?]). I am sure that I am not the first to do this on a middle income and without a (substantial) loan? Any advice, encouragement or views would be most gladly appreciated!
Good luck to us all
D'Vay

eason67
7th Dec 2004, 19:41
Dvay,
Sorry matie but if you do pursue your CPL you will always be skint for a good while unless you try something like CTC McAlpine. You are young enough I think.

Anyway, it's worth being skint and having the privilege of flying.

Shaun :O

Genghis the Engineer
7th Dec 2004, 20:55
Do your PPL, maybe tag a night and IMC on it - then reconsider your options. Don't commit more money until you've got a PPL and done a year's private flying.

That's my advice anyhow - I love aviation and wouldn't be doing anything else, but it is hard work and not necessarily for everybody, even on the basis of enjoying a trial lesson.

G

BigGrecian
8th Dec 2004, 11:51
Being 22 I am not a home owner and do not own any stock or bonds ruling out all chance of an HSBC loan.

I am 20 with no house, stocks or bonds and I have a loan for £35k unsecured from HSBC (Professional Studies Loan) There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get one. Have a look here:

Easiest £35K I ever borrowed (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145989)

Let me know if you need more help!