PDA

View Full Version : Bewildering choice buying new laptop. M, Centrino, P4 ????

Feneris
6th Dec 2004, 19:25
I'm after a new laptop to replace my Dell P3 but am bewildered by the choice out there.

It must be a laptop (not a PC), I'll mainly use it for internet, watching dvd's, connection to digital camera/ video camera, v. few games.

I'm mainly focusing on Dell as they are a solid company and seem sensibly priced. I'll spend around £800, which gets a 15" widescreen, dvd-rw, 256mb, 40gb etc (Inspiron 8600c). My main decision seems to be between the P4 and the Pentium M processor. Pricewise a 3Ghz P4 is the same as a 1.4Ghz Pentium M, (which I know is quicker then it sounds). The P4 system is bigger and heavier, I'm not too concerned about the shorter battery life.

Alternatively I could get a Sony from Dabs for the same money but it's a 3Ghz Celeron ??? Or have I missed a great offer from another company??? Does anyone have any extra idea's for me??? Thanks, F

PS. One concern also is that XP doesn't come with any media. If in a years time the hdd fails, where do I get XP from. I imagine I can return the laptop to the manufacturer but will get hit by a massive bill. How does one get XP if you get a new hdd from dabs.com etc???

Binoculars
7th Dec 2004, 11:06
You will get a lot more useful responses than mine in here, and as someone who is looking for a laptop to recommend to a friend I will be looking closely at the responses re centrino, M, wi-fi etc.

For my pathetic entry, I'll just say accept nothing less than 512MB Ram with Windows XP. I'm not sure what you mean by XP not coming with any media. If you are not provided with a Windows XP disc, you are being ripped off. That doesn't mean a disc you can install on any computer, Bill G is too wise for that, but any new laptop will come with an XP disc which is suitable for reinstallation in the event of a HDD failure.

I will be watching with as much interest as you the response from those who know how to answer your other questions.

(Even a reference to a good FAQ site about Centrino would be nice). :ok:

Andi
7th Dec 2004, 12:08
have to agree with Binoculars.
If laptop or system running with XP
u should have at least 512 MB RAM ,best 512 DDR RAM.If u r watching dvd s make sure u get a standalone graphic card ,NOT a "shared memory" one cuz it bites away
RAM memory!
would recomend Pentium M cuz of better battery performance.watch out for good battery (Lithium Ion battery).
recently got an Acer travelmate series and have to say I am very happy with performance.
Pentium M 1.5 GHz,15tft,64MB 3D graphic ATI Radeon 9700 card,80 GB harddrive ,512 DDR SDRAM .

hope it helpes a little,will watch what the others have to say.
take care:=

Evo
7th Dec 2004, 12:54
It must be a laptop (not a PC), I'll mainly use it for internet, watching dvd's, connection to digital camera/ video camera, v. few games.

I assume you don't want a Mac..? :O

If it must be a PC, given those requirements I'd forget about things like MHz - any modern processor is going to be fine. As others have said, just make sure it has plenty of memory.

My own POV with laptops is to buy one from a company with decent service - apart from memory, other things are fairly unimportant in comparison. Unlike a desktop machine, if something goes wrong with a laptop then more often than not you can't do anything about it. There's no reason why a modern laptop shouldn't be good for five years or more (games excluded, but a laptop isn't a great choice for a games machine anyway). However, one duff component can fast-track it to the bin and that's when the service comes in. Good service will have you back up and running. Bad service will have you paying another £1000 to replace what should be a perfectly usable laptop that just went out of warrenty.

Of course, service has to be paid for - so you either pay more or settle for lesser hardware. Still, modern hardware is pretty much overkill for everything apart from games so it's not such a bad choice to have to make.

And Dell? IMHO they're reasonable machines to buy (especially the desktops, assuming you pick your deal, don't buy the crippled really cheap ones and are happy to replace hardware yourself). However, the service sucks. I'd care about that.

As for centrino etc., i've got no idea. Don't even know what processor is in my laptop :)

BRL
7th Dec 2004, 13:57
I am waiting for this one to drop in price, hopefully in the sales after xmas....

Processor - Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz HT Processor (Prescott)
Operating System - Microsoft® Windows XP Home
Memory - 1024MB DDR RAM
Hard Disk - 80GB Hard Disk
Optical 1 - DVD-Rw / CD-Rw Multiformat DVD Burner Drive
Display - 17" WXGA Ultra-High Resolution TFT Screen (1400 x 900)
Graphics - 128MB ATi Mobility Radeon 9700 Pro (M11) Graphics
PC-TV System - Mini PC-TV Tuner Fitted
Modem - 56k V90 modem
TV Out - TV Out For Large Screen Presentations
Network - Gigabit LAN Ethernet built-in for ADSL router and networking
Wi-Fi - 802.11b Wi-Fi Wireless Adapter
Firewire - 1394 Firewire (Camcorder) Port
Card Reader - Multi-Format Card Reader & Writer
Sound - 5.1 advanced sound system and built-in microphone
Keyboard etc. - Advanced keyboard and Two Button Track Pad
Ports etc. - 4x USB2.0 Ports, 12 Cell Li-Ion Battery & A/C Charger, PCMCIA
Weight; Dimensions - 4.5Kg; 395 x 285 x 39 mm
Software 1 - Microsoft® Works Version 7
Software 2 - Microsoft® Office XP - 60 Day Trial
Software 3 - Cyberlink Power Suites (DVD / CD Creation Software)

Also from what I can gather, it must be 800mhz as that is the way things are going now.
Looking at paying less than a grand for that. :)

Evo
7th Dec 2004, 14:27
4.5kilos? That weighs nearly as much as my iMac... :) :)

Seriously, that's the kind of laptop that makes almost no sense to me. It's a games machine - nothing else needs the processor or graphics - but if you want a games machine, you can build a better-spec desktop for half the money. Plus the desktop can be upgraded easily, and bits can be swapped out when they fail. OK, add in a couple of hundred quid for a nice TFT monitor, but you've still saved a bundle - heck, you could buy a second-hand laptop for use on the move and you've still saved money. Or you could buy a regular laptop and a PS2... ;)

If you can't have a desktop because you need a machine to carry around, then this is just too heavy. If you're moving it from the car boot to the office then it's alright I guess, but I moan at my T40 if I have to carry it around an airport, and that's half the weight. My old 1.2kg Vaio was more like it for a portable machine.

So i'm :confused: :ok:

Thinking about it some more, does it come with asbestos underpants? Not sure that I'd want that on my lap otherwise ;) :{

BRL
7th Dec 2004, 14:43
Wow, you have got me paranoid now. I am looking for a widescreen, loads of memory and a big hard drive. Going to replace my desktop and all that goes with that.

I am buying a piano after new year so i need to make room for that. Laptop will be for the internet, long train journeys etc, don't know about games, just don't have time for all that now.

If anyone can beat that or reccomend something to equal it then let me know!! :ugh:

Evo
7th Dec 2004, 15:05
C'mon, BRL, don't get paranoid. I'm just putting my point of view, doesn't mean it's right and you're more than welcome to tell me I'm talking b@lls - it's you that's buying, not me :)

Space is one good reason for wanting that sort of machine, although you would probably still do better (IMHO) with a small-footprint PC + TFT monitor. Still, I just find that people tend to buy laptops without thinking about what it is that they want, and often spending more money than necessary because they know that bigger numbers are better.

My take on it would be to go to somewhere like Dabs and search for every laptop under, say, £700 including VAT (there's a very useful-looking Fujitsu, for example, at £675 all-in). Find one you like the look of, then ask yourself what it doesn't do that you need. And if it isn't what you want, go buy that fuggin' thing you just listed - me not knowing why you'd buy it isn't a reason...!

edit: I don't know what sort of seating you get on a train (off-duty, I assume! ;) ) but when I did Chichester <-> Brighton in cattle-class every day the 12" screen, 1.2kg Vaio was the perfect laptop. There wasn't room to use anything bigger.

El Grifo
7th Dec 2004, 15:51
I did notice that you are narrowing you options down to a PC rather then a Mighty Mac.

Check out this little presentation, it might straighten things out a bit.

Parental warning. Some scenes contain strong language

http://www.flogged.net/media/video/whymacssuck.wmv

BRL
7th Dec 2004, 19:34
Hi there. Apart from replacing my home system I would be taking it out on my travels. Virgin and Great Western, the two I use most frequently, first class of course(plenty of room), not looking at using it to work on out and about to be honest, prob use it on the train to watch a dvd or something, just want to have a powerfull machine that takes little room and won't need updating for at least a few years. Anyhow, I have not bought it yet and yes, i am impressed by all the big numbers, easily pleased me you know :D

TR4A
7th Dec 2004, 19:38
I have the Inspiron 8600 and love it.

Intel Pentium M processor 2.00GHz. With Centrino.
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600 PRO TURBO 128Mb
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
60 GB HDD
DVD/CDRW
15.4 WUXGA LCD Screen

Front_Seat_Dreamer
7th Dec 2004, 20:54
Feneris

It certainly is a minefield out there and at the end of the day you seem to have a reasonably good grasp of the differing technologies.

If you want a lightweight / thin laptop got for the centrino, if you are happy to lug a brick around with you then go for the P4 3Ghz+.

If you want wireless probably better to go for centrino as you will notice vast battery life gains here, in fact the centrinos win hands down on battery life.

Dell - If you are happy not to speak to tech support then stick with them, the kit is usually OK but tech support sucks.

Media - What I see frequently now is the inclusion of a recovery disk which has a copy of the windows install disk built on to it, mostly so anyone can do a reinstall, so you will have something.

Take a look in your local electrical stores at laptops available and see what you like then go online and buy it there as you will nearly always save money. Try searching for it using one of the online search stores who will return a list of retailers and the different prices.

I use easyvalue (http://www.easyvalue.com)

I agree with above even if your processor is not top spec then get as much RAM as you can minimum 512Mb.

Intel Centrino Info (http://www.intel.com/cd/products/services/emea/eng/mobiletechnology/index.htm)

ebuyer (http://www.ebuyer.co.uk) Great deals on laptops

Good luck and let us know what you go for.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Dec 2004, 13:53
Feneris,

Here are the specs I gave in another thread that are what you would want to look for in a Notebook:

If you want long battery life:

Intel Centrino

If you want great performance:

AMD Athlon64

Screen Size:

15.4" wide screen

Optical Drive:

DVD+/-RW

Video Card:

Radeon Mobility 9600

Hard Drive:

60Gb or higher

RAM:

512Mb

Wireless Network:

802.11g

This is the Notebook I gave my wife and she loves it:

Gateway Notebook with Mobile AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+ (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1093468591790&skuId=6852783&productCategoryId=cat01174&type=product)

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/6852/6852783_ra.jpg

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/6852/6852783cv2a.jpg

I call it my MAC Crusher. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

BRL
8th Dec 2004, 22:03
Hi Richard. How much is that in £s? and can it be purchased in the UK?
Cheers,
BRL.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Dec 2004, 11:45
BRL,

How much is that in £s? and can it be purchased in the UK?

I do not know. I was using it as a reference for the type of hardware on the inside.

As usual if you have someone flying over to the U.S., with the current exchange rates, would be the best option for picking up a notebook.

Take Care,

Richard

My names Turkish
10th Dec 2004, 19:38
Brl,

Very Handy Currency Convertor (www.xe.com/ucc)

1,400.00 USD
United States Dollars =

730.980 GBP
United Kingdom Pounds

I bought a laptop when I was in the States it was substantially cheaper, as it would seem every bloody thing is outside this country!

Feneris
11th Dec 2004, 21:10
The hunt continues and what I'm after changes daily. I've dropped the idea of a Dell Inspiron as then seem to be big heavy plasticy and not 'elegant'. I'm mainly looking at a Sony. The choice is between the K series which is a bit big but well made, the extended warranty is £175 for 2 extra years, and it comes with a really good software bundle, such as Adobe Premier! I much prefer the Sony A series as it is lighter, looks better made and I 'just like it more'. I would be more proud to own one!! However it is more money and has a Centrino cpu which apparently is a lot lot slower than P4 when it comes to big processing tasks. General stuff in XP it seemed quicker and nicer to use.

Toshiba is another choice as the extended warranty is only £100 for an extra 2 years. I've not found 'the right one' yet, and then I'd be missing out on the Sony software bundle. I do actually need 1/2 of the Sony bundled software.

What I have leant is what an absolute rip off the PCWorld extended warranty packages are!!!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Dec 2004, 12:03
Feneris,

When looking at hardware, do not base your decision on the shovelware included with the hardware. If there is anything you need software wise, buy it vs using the bundled version.

Most bundled versions of software, especially games, are not the full retail versions. Little things like patches to remove bugs will not work on bundled versions, you will need to find a patch for the bundled version. Most of the time the only patches ever released are for retail versions.

Take Care,

Richard

Feneris
12th Dec 2004, 21:08
I've finally bought a laptop, it's a Sony VAIO, Centrino 1.6Ghz, 512mb, 60gb, wireless, bluetooth, DVD writer and 15" screen. PCWorld, ex demo model, £900. The identical new model, which is widescreen is £1200 on the internet. I'm very happy to save the money and I still prefer the traditional shape of the screen. It's a A series which looks and feels a lot better than the cheaper K series.

The bundled software included Adobe Photoshop Elements which sells for about £70 in PCWorld and Adobe Premier Standard, which is a much cut down version of Premiere Elements, same price. Although normally the bundled software is rubbish, with the Sony's it is really worth having.

Sony sell an extra 2 years warranty for £175, which I explained to the bloke at pcworld when he offered me their version for £300. Said bloke knocked the price down to £240, and as it includes theft cover for 1 year and accidental damage for all 3, I reckoned was worth having.

I'm now off to continue playing with my new toy!! Thanks for all the above advice!!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
13th Dec 2004, 11:53
Feneris,

Nice find and I hope you enjoy your "New Toy"! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard