PDA

View Full Version : Nice home offered for old airliner....

Thunderball 2
6th Dec 2004, 12:36
Do you know of any well-and-truly retired airliners that might be available for sale in the UK? The kind of aircraft that is hanging around at the back of a hanger or parked perilously close to the firedump, which no one can bring themselves to scrap? Cost-wise I'm thinking of scrap value plus 10%, or "free-of-charge but buyer collects". Suitable candidates would aircraft such as Herald, 748, Viscount, Electra, maybe even 1-11 – I’m sure you get the general idea.

Undertakings can be given that the aircraft would not be scrapped, and full disclosure given about location, but it is not intended for commercial use of any sort and would not be offered for viewing by the public.

Thanks in anticipation for your help.:ok:

bluepilot
6th Dec 2004, 12:42
Try Southend airport, there are still a few 1-11s and B707s parked there plus some other types. Also norwich has a herald that may be looking for a home.

Good luck

No comment
6th Dec 2004, 12:47
Is the Herald still sitting behind the old FLS hangar at LGW?

wub
6th Dec 2004, 13:57
The Herald was still there in September this year:

http://www.pbase.com/glenns/image/37193080.jpg

rotornut
6th Dec 2004, 14:20
I know where there's a Constellation that I'll bet the owners would like to give to a good home provided you come and get it.
Unfortunately it's at the north end of the field at YYZ (Toronto). It was used as a restaurant.:confused:

Krystal n chips
6th Dec 2004, 18:12
Errm, if it's not a rude question, ---what exactly do you want an old airliner for then ??----just curious--well, nosey actually ! :hmm:

Gareth Blackstock
6th Dec 2004, 22:07
The Hearald was still there a week or so ago, not been to work since but if it moves I'll let you know!!

I'd be curious as to what you want an old aircraft for as well!!!!

we_never_change
6th Dec 2004, 22:34
Various Dc3 & Electras currently stored at Coventry, UK

B727 fuselage at EMA (ex Fire trainer) which has been replaced by one of those modern green burning device thing-ma-jigs :=

WNC

Thunderball 2
6th Dec 2004, 23:13
Thanks guys, much appreciated, keep 'em coming.

As to the use, it will be part of the backdrop to the stageset for a new gameshow being planned for Summer 2005. Working title is "I'm an Aviator - Get Me Out of Here"! ;)

DUBXH
8th Dec 2004, 14:11
You are taking the p@%s right ??

Thunderball 2
10th Feb 2005, 10:25
Kristal N Chips, many thanks for your PM - only just found it.

My apologies - it's been so long since anyone sent me one I've stopped checking!

Harrier46
10th Feb 2005, 10:41
Believe there are a few Fokker 100s at Manston not doing much. Might be available shortly.

DUBXH
10th Feb 2005, 13:32
haha

Parking fee's not cheaper in SNN??

:D

Groundloop
11th Feb 2005, 08:09
"but it is not intended for commercial use of any sort "

"As to the use, it will be part of the backdrop to the stageset for a new gameshow being planned for Summer 2005. Working title is "I'm an Aviator - Get Me Out of Here"! "

If, by some miracle, this is not a wind-up then poor Thunderball 2 has just contradicted himself!

LatviaCalling
12th Feb 2005, 19:19
There was a Super Connie ex-TAP parked minus wings on the right hand side when you drove in to Faro, Portugal. Wings were preserved, as were the engines. Last year it was gone.

DarkDog
12th Feb 2005, 19:41
Interesting.... lots of people live in caravans, river barges, motorhomes etc'

How cool would it be converting an old airliner fuselage into living accommodation ????

Just imagine the neighbours faces !
:)

stagn8
18th Feb 2005, 04:17
There is a reasonable condition DC7 (or is it a DC6) parked up at GVA belongs to the fire dept......

Thunderball 2
18th Feb 2005, 14:57
DUBXH

I don't think it's fair to describe my reponse about being used for a filmset for "I'm an aviator - get me out of here!" as "taking the p**s"! For my money, you're only taking the p**s if you create at least a remote chance of being believed.

But now you come to mention it, perhaps it's not a bad idea after all.....any suggestions for crew complement/passenger list?

PS: Harrier46; You can't be referring, surely, to the F100 aircraft in the employ of EUJet at MSE? You must know that they're very, very busy little planes, full to the brim with punters - some paying over a pound for their seat - and that it is widely believed that the company will last for at least a thousand years?

eurostar builder
20th Feb 2005, 06:15
THeres a cl44 at Bournemouth that like but towed in and out and around the hangars.

Liobian
16th Mar 2005, 19:00
..........and there's a half-dozen Ryanair 737s lying at Prestwick- some being broken...........

HZ123
17th Mar 2005, 12:44
There is a 727 in the USA in Florida that has been put on a plinth above a lake and is home to someone with lots of monies. Recently featured in one of the sunday mags.

A couple of complete DC4's parked at North Weald gradually falling apart. As for Southend apart from one 707 that is inpoor condition all other a/c's are accounted for.

Onan the Clumsy
17th Mar 2005, 14:16
How cool would it be converting an old airliner fuselage into living accommodation ???? HZ beat me to it. There's a company that converts 727s. Perhaps converts is too strong a word, has done one, has several disused airframes and would like to do another is perhaps a better description.

At the risk of advertising another site, check out Avweb.com It's been a few years now, but they had a story about the company and a link to their site.

Plus one other guy did it on his own. This might be him (http://www.airplanehome.com/)

I want to.

...so what is your reason?

hobie
17th Mar 2005, 21:12
Errm, if it's not a rude question, ---what exactly do you want an old airliner for then ?
some guys have a shed at the bottom of their garden to which they can escape .....

Imagine if instead of a shed you had a VC10 or one of the early 747's ..... :p of course getting it into the garden is the real problem:ugh:

I once had an ambition to get an old engine .... polish and paint it up and put it under flood lights in our "canteen" ..... and do you know what?, I did it :O ..... I managed to get a Rolls Conway, about 20,000 lbs of thrust something like 20 feet long ..... it was used on some of the 707's, DC8's, VC10's and one of the UK V Bombers? (Victor?) ...... and its still there in the Canteen, and still loved and admired some twenty years later

kpiko3
19th Mar 2005, 01:50
As mentioned,

There are about 6 ex-ryanair 732`s at PIK. 2 currently getting the chop with the other 4 waiting!

Kris

hobie
19th Mar 2005, 19:07
A 737 Cockpit (cut off at the flight deck door) ..... now that would look brilliant mounted on a Canteen wall :cool:

Onan the Clumsy
23rd Mar 2005, 20:38
I actually can get you one of those...if it's still around.

Flypro
24th Mar 2005, 17:50
I believe there's a publican somewhere who is looking to offload a Vulcan!!!!
I know it's not an airliner exactly.....:ok: :ok:

tiggerific_69
25th Mar 2005, 16:43
theres a 767 lying around at bhx,was on the main ramp by T! but has now been dumped literally,on the end of 24/06 and has been there for nearly a week now.No livery,believe its Ex midland airways/air slovakia?