PDA

View Full Version : Email problem HELP!!

Hudson Bay
6th Dec 2004, 09:35
I have signed up to AOL and all is well.... EXCEPT that I would like to keep my old email address and access it when I am connected to the AOL server.

My original email was with tiscali but each time I try to access it I receive an error message.

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: '.............., Server: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

It works if I connect to Tiscali but I don't want to do that as I have a monthly contract with AOL.

AOL are being there ever unhelpful self!!

My tiscali account is with outlook express and my email with AOL is fine.

Please help! I know someone knows how to fix it!

PS. Sometimes it works.

BOAC
6th Dec 2004, 10:06
HB - as everyone will tell you, AOL 'moves in mysterious ways'. This is a known issue and you will probably have to learn to live with it. I think they block ports at will to try to force you into AOL mail. I take it you are minimising AOL after logon and using OE, and I also assume you are only experiencing this problem on send?

I am using all my old addresses with it but I have to 'duck and weave' with AOL sometimes to get mail away. If it is of any interest I am shortly dumping it now my 12 mths are up and going to a cheaper b/band service. When they took away the 'bundled' travelling dial-up and started charging extra for it that was the last straw!

Hudson Bay
6th Dec 2004, 11:01
Thanks BOAC. Yes you are right receiving mail is normally ok, its sending items that are the real problem.

Alot of the time I send an email and the next one immediately after gets rejected. I wait a bit and then I can send another.

I think I will be dumping AOL very soon. Maybe we should petition AOL and send the thread to them. They might listen then! I had problems with my router and AOL were not interested because they said they did not support BT routers!! In the end someone off the forum fixed it for me.

DUMP AOL. Well said!

mazzy1026
6th Dec 2004, 11:55
I think I will be dumping AOL very soon Best bit of advice around I think. I cant stand AOL - purely because of there 'mysterious' ways, such as blocking ports, and because of the fact that once you put the AOL CD into the CD drive on your puter, you have instantly been invaded and can never return. Ok I am being silly now but you get the picture.

Best of luck,

Maz :)

gas path
6th Dec 2004, 12:09
I too use AOL (broadband) and also have a Tiscali (gateway) email address and it all works fine and always has.
Sign onto AOL minimize the browser and fire up outlook express or outlook whichever you use.
I had the self same message today, first thing, but it is all ok now, so I put it down to their (tiscali) server.
I'm not supporting AOL in any way but just how does it 'invade' your 'putor?

mazzy1026
6th Dec 2004, 12:25
IMHO of course, it puts files on your computer that you cant remove and when you try and do something on your pc it forces you to use AOL - you cant even minimise it and use IE without it being a pain in the a*se. I just dont like em. Sorry for hijacking your thread Hudson- I am gonna shut up now.

Front_Seat_Dreamer
6th Dec 2004, 18:01
There was an old hoax email that went round to the effect of:-

Your machine has been infected with the AOL virus, search your machine for anything with AOL in the title and delete it etc etc...

Although I wouldn't normally condone this type of mail in that instance it was maybe a good idea!!!

Have you tried using the Tiscali web mail (http://www.tiscali.co.uk/login/index.php?url=/commscentre/email/index.php) service, never used it myself but usually it gets round this problem.

As much as it pains me to admit it AOL may not be at fault here, as a lot of ISP's block you sending mail through other ISP's internet access, this prevents spammers routing mail through their servers. Weird that you can sometimes send mail however.

BLUE SKY THINKER
6th Dec 2004, 18:47
Hudson Bay.....

Had similar problems.

Change Outgoing Mail (SMTP) from Port 25 to 587

At the same time, take a look at.......................................................... ............................................................ .........................................THIS (http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/imap/).

maxell
7th Dec 2004, 09:11
you could always try something like this (http://www.postcastserver.com/)

BOAC
7th Dec 2004, 11:24
BST - great lnk - thank you!