PDA

View Full Version : Licence delay woes

Gear in transit
6th Dec 2004, 01:36
I have a few collegues who have just completed there licence tests. So far one has waited 6 weeks for his licence and the other 10 weeks and counting!!

I know there are these mighty important 'background checks' but it's beyond a joke! 10 weeks!
AND there is always something wrong with the paperwork or documents, photo's too unclear, scratched lost yes, 'lost' somewhere! :rolleyes:

What is going on in the mighty efficient CASA office? Come on people pull the fingers out! :yuk:

yobedun
6th Dec 2004, 02:31
I completely agree with everthing that you have inferred about CASA ... I sat my test, and completed the paperwork on the 24th August - and am still waiting for my license . On the positive side, it was in 2004, so I haven't had to wait TOO long!

:mad:

For those that can't be bothered doing the math, I have now been waiting 15 weeks and counting !!!

Apparently, there was a problem with my "School issued SPL" and CASA felt that it was easiest to just wait for my PPL paperwork to come thru and then request all the SPL paperwork again!!!!

Timeline so far is ....

7 weeks at Licensing Moorabbin (apparently, this is about normal :confused: )
Total : 7 Weeks

I gave CASA another 2 weeks to process in Canberra, then called and "left a message" - no reply
Total : 9 weeks

Called again - No reply
Total : 10 weeks

I then took a trip thru Cent. Australia (where the newly acquired PPL would have been REALLY nice!!) and upon returning home, rang and left another message with Canberra!! (yes, I checked all my message banks and they had NOT replied to any previous calls)
Total : 12 weeks

7 days later, CASA returned the phone message stating "no proof of Australian Citizenship, please supply copy of Birth Certificate" (i.e. New Student License) I was told that "upon receipt.." processing will be 10 working days
Total : 13 weeks

Submitted appropriate documentation to my flying school which expediated the processing of these documents. (Thanks guys!!)
Total : 13.1 weeks

Just checked the letterbox - NOTHING !!
Total : 15 weeks

I am now convinced that C.A.S.A. stands for "Committee of Ar....les Strangling Aviation"

So, if/when my PPL does EVENTUALLY turn up, I won't even be current. Not really a big problem, but I promised my nephew a sight-seeing flight as a christmas present, and I am beginning to think I won't be able to deliver. Try explaining this to an 8 year old!

I am not trying to set any records here, but would be happy to hear from others that have suffered similar delays. And, hopefully somebody who has had to wait this long AND ACTUALLY NOW HAS THEIR LICENSE!

Aussie
6th Dec 2004, 04:46
I just got my PPL, it took CASA 4weeks to send out my paper license...

great job CASA!!!

yobedun
6th Dec 2004, 05:06
4 weeks !!! Oh, I wish.....

What is your secret? Your surname isn't Anderson, is it?

Congrats on your PPL, and might see you in the skies one day.

CaptainToBe
7th Dec 2004, 00:22
Call them up after you complete some test, give them a story as to why you need the license, and in my experience, it is very quick. (that was Jamal at YSBK). In my case it was when i got my CPL, i told them i had a job waiting, but needed the licence. This was at the beginning of the week, i had it by weeks end.

Sunfish
7th Dec 2004, 05:07
PPL test passed Sunday. Rang CASA and they said that since I've already done the ASIO check, the licence is a few days away.

Obiwan
7th Dec 2004, 10:26
PPL test passed Sunday congrats! :ok:

0tter1
7th Dec 2004, 14:27
CASA's new slogan should be

"We are not happy until you're not happy"

QNIM
9th Dec 2004, 19:55
Gday
Since all this crapp was introduced I don't think we have had one student that has passed a test that has received their licences.
Now all these people except the commercial candidates will be flying around in a single engine with a carrying capacity of about 400 kgs if someone wanted to do some real damage why wouldn't they hire a truck that would carry many tons and to get a heavy licence just produce a birth certificate and do a little test, then they would be able to make a real big bang.
Just goes to show the mindless twerps we voted in.
I feel better now.
Cheers Q

Horatio Leafblower
10th Dec 2004, 10:42
Back when pontius was a pilot and I did my training the rule was that you had passed the flight test, you had a valid medical, and the Testing Officer had put the appropriate scratchings, stickers and smiley-stamps in your logbook: You're legal.

Pass your PPL in the morning, scare your 90-year-old mother in the afternoon.

Pass your CPL in the morning, scare the unsuspecting general public!

I am being too lazy to check the rules, but.... what has changed?

You are still legal!

get out there and have a go! :}

yobedun
10th Dec 2004, 10:50
I came home early today to give CASA another call and nag them about my license .... and sitting in the letterbox, was the "Australia Post" calling card telling me I had registered mail waiting.

MY LICENSE HAS ARRIVED!
Total : 15 weeks, 6 days.
:D

CaptainToBe
10th Dec 2004, 23:52
read it and weep folks, we have ourselves a new record

Gear in transit
11th Dec 2004, 06:15
Horatio Leafblower As far as I know, the testing officers don't put anything in the logbooks anymore (That I have seen since the credit card licence anyway) so your limited to whatever you had previously. ie SPL or PPL.

CockpitJunkie
6th Feb 2005, 06:43
My suggestion is to write to the minister and complain:
- the checks won't stop terrorists using aircraft (read who doesn't need to get a security check)
- CASA are inefficient and know the checks won't stop terrorists

DeltaSix
7th Feb 2005, 04:27
Tell them you have to go overseas to upgrade your license to the next stage ( if PPL to CPL ) and you need it so you can fly out.

Thank them as well for insulting you by checking up on you as a suspected terrorist.

Write to them and say what's on your mind. Give them a piece of it for giving you a hard time, and pay for it at the same time.

You pay them so they can give you a hard time waiting for your license........... this is the only country I know that does that.

DeltaSix :mad: