PDA

View Full Version : Low level Phantom

JimmyTAP
5th Dec 2004, 14:56
Found this picture a while ago. I think it was on the cover of the Recognition journal in the late 60s/ early70s. Anyone know anything about it? I apologize for the quality but it is a scan of a photocopy.

I'd like to see a picture taken a few seconds later!

JT

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/CMVH/lowlevelz.jpg

Human Factor
5th Dec 2004, 15:52
Isn't that Tony Blair on the right?

Talking Radalt
5th Dec 2004, 21:18
Well if it is, that must be Gordon in the Phantom then? :O

Shouldn't this be in the Caption Competition thread?!! :p

rivetjoint
5th Dec 2004, 21:23
The guy on the left has certainly had his week's worth of biscuit browns.

360BakTrak
5th Dec 2004, 21:34
But what are they both looking at?............must be better than the view behind!:}

Olly O'Leg
5th Dec 2004, 22:32
But at least they're both in a good position to totally cr@p themselves in about 2 seconds time!!!

Navaleye
6th Dec 2004, 09:26
Its a RNAS Yeovilton Land Rover although the FAA's Phantoms were based at Lossie AFAIK. Great photo. I wouldn't be surprised if the Land Rover is still in service,

pr00ne
6th Dec 2004, 11:14
Navaleye,

Rollocks Sir! The FAA FG1 fleet most certainly WAS stationed at RNAS Yeovilton, with 892NAS and 767NAS until they moved to RAF Leuchars in 1972.

It looks like a fake to me...............................................

Navaleye
6th Dec 2004, 11:22
I stand thorougly rollocked sir! Way before my time. Didn't they minimum altitude regs in those days?

wub
6th Dec 2004, 11:52
I remember this pic as being on the cover of a training pamphlet, for GDT or similar, back in the early 70s

18greens
6th Dec 2004, 11:59
I saw a similar picture to this taken somewhere down south.

The thing the fellows were looking at was a Phantom coming towards them for a low level pass when (unbeknownst to them) another phantom came sneaking up from behind. The video had lot of blue words in it. It was very good. Rather like the Alain De Cadanet spitfire video.

Low Ball
6th Dec 2004, 12:13
I recall this picture while a young pilot.

If my memory serves correctly it is a picture of a PFAC and they will be looking at the target and giving the pilot the mouth music to direct him onto said target. This probably taken during an FAC course judging from the Regimental atire of the officer of the Royal Irish Rangers.

Low Ball

soddim
6th Dec 2004, 14:53
The F4 seems to be out of weapons so I guess he was engaged in the ramming option

AllTrimDoubt
7th Dec 2004, 20:42
Yet again the FAA lead the way...this v.successful flyby technique was copied and used later during a certain Graduation Parade at Cranwell I believe!!
:O

ZH875
7th Dec 2004, 21:04
Not the Phantom graduation - but just as impressive

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/ZH875/Flyby.jpg

Green Flash
7th Dec 2004, 22:18
Hmmm, I wonder if the F4 driver was the one & only RP, who was very good at going very very close and very very very fast. Ask Ivan!:ok: :D

Jimmenycricket
8th Dec 2004, 17:03
I seem to recall reading about a pilot they called the phantom flathatter down in the States. No one ever seemed to know who he was, all they knew was that he had some pretty good shots of his aircraft at about 50'. The funniest part was that he would have them posted in brass's offices, just to stir them up a bit. Does anyone happen to know any more about this?

Grimweasel
8th Dec 2004, 17:47
MMMM... evokes bad memories of a certain Hercules incident in Gloustershire at which I was present...not nice and ....well we won't even go there...