PDA

View Full Version : Re-Starting....won't!

LastCall
5th Dec 2004, 06:23
Compaq Presario Laptop, 40 G HD, 600 Mhz, Win XP Home ed., IE 6, all up to date except for Win XP SP2.

Problem is probably minor, but is annoying nevertheless.

Whenever I try to re-start when running WINDOWS in NORMAL mode, the computer just shuts down completely and has to be manually re-started.

However, when running in SAFE Mode, when selecting re-start, it goes thru it's normal shutdown then re-starts as instructed.

Problem began several weeks ago, seemingly out of the blue. Don't remember fiddling with any settings, nor is it associated with the installation of a new program, that I remember.

Any comments, suggestions, fixes or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

LC

Bigwings
5th Dec 2004, 08:10
Just a stab in the dark but if as you say nothing has changed ie new software or changed settings then why don't you try doing a system restore to a date when all was working well.

Just a thought

Bigwings :ok:

LastCall
5th Dec 2004, 08:45
Don't know why I didn't think of that myself.

Just went back progressively as far as SYSTEM RESTORE will take me (mid-September). The problem is still there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

LC

Bigwings
5th Dec 2004, 10:06
I've just had a quick look around MS Knowledge Base. Have you recently upgraded Windows media player or added a USB mouse? According to MS doing either of these may cause a problem on a Presario.

Bigwings :ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Dec 2004, 13:29
LastCall,

I would try downloading all the latest Drivers and run Windows Update.

Lets see if that helps with the problem.

Take Care,

Richard

LastCall
5th Dec 2004, 16:19
Bigwings

Negative to both questions. Still using WMP 9. Have not upgraded to WMP 10 yet. Same for the mouse. Been using MS Wheel Mouse Optical for years.

Richard

I go frequently to WINDOWS UPGRADE and download all the upgrades for it and OFFICE 2003. Only thing I haven't downloaded yet is SP2 after reading all the subtle changes it makes to ones system. Want to research it more before I do. There was a very enlightening thread on here about that a while back that made me think about not wanting to do it.

The drivers should all be up-to-date as well, but I will check anyway and report back.

Just a thought, why would it function normally from SAFE Mode and not from NORMAL Mode?

Thanks for your input, folks.

LC

Front_Seat_Dreamer
5th Dec 2004, 17:59
LastCall

Try running the following command at either a command prompt or through Start - Run

shutdown /r

run shutdown /a if you change your mind

LastCall
6th Dec 2004, 06:09
Richard

All drivers are up-to-date. ( Hope I didn't miss any!).

F_S_D

I did as you suggested. The computer ran thru a normal shutdown. On manual re-start, it went thru CHKDSK and the message at the end said that, "The volume is clean".

Did a START - Shutdown - Re-Start and it is still the same; it shuts down completely. Manual re-start required.

I'm mystified.

LC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Dec 2004, 13:01
LastCall,

Next option would be to install SP2. There is a chance it will fix the problem. If that does not work, we could look at doing a Repair of the OS with the WinXP CD and if that does not work, then a fresh install of WinXP on top of itself.

Take Care,

Richard