PDA

View Full Version : Clean Install XP

wink wink
5th Dec 2004, 05:03
Okay I want to clean up my computer. I want to do a clean install of XP Home version, which is the OS I currently use. I have backed up onto CD's everything I want to keep, including drivers etc....

I had done some reading up and still have a few questions. One regarding slipstreaming SP2 into my XP install disk. I have followed the instructions but I am unable to download sp2 completely. Ends up saying file to large or something????

Should I decide just to do it the long way without slipstreaming sp2. Beside backing up everything how exactly do I proceed. I want basically everything that is on my computer to be removed. Do I leave my computer as is and start from a bootable cd? Or do I somehow remove things before? Will I run into a problem with the version of xp I have on the computer now is newer then the version on the cd?

I need the "Clean Install for Dummies" version.

Toxteth O'Grady
5th Dec 2004, 07:41
If you know someone who has already d'loaded SP2 get them to burn a CD for you; it can then be copied to your hard drive to allow you to make the slipstream. Alternatively look for a free SP2 CD on PC magazines covers, might still be some kicking around.

If you can't create a slipstream, for a fresh install of Windows the normal batting order for installation is:

1. Windows XP CD.
2. Chipset/AGP drivers.
3. Latest DirectX.
4. Video drivers.
5. Anti Virus.
6. 3rd party software firewall (if used).
7. Online Windows Critcal Updates (including SP2).
8. Other device driver updates.
9. All other updates.

Make sure you have downloaded all the latest drivers you need and burn them to a CD to use during the install.

The install procedure is very simple. Just put in your original MS XP Home CD and boot from it. During the installation the CD will give you the option to format your drive. Select yes and that will erase all previous data on the drive (hence the need for an offline drivers archive).

Hope this helps.

TOG

wink wink
5th Dec 2004, 08:03
1. Windows XP CD. Okay have this

2. Chipset/AGP drivers.
3. Latest DirectX.
4. Video drivers.
Is simply burning my system32\drivers file enough? Everything on my computer is up to date.

5. Anti Virus. Have
6. 3rd party software firewall (if used). Have
7. Online Windows Critcal Updates (including SP2). Okay I have downloaded this but can't find it on my computer to burn unto a cd, any explanation on how to do that?

8. Other device driver updates. Have

9. All other updates. Have

Thanks for your reply!

Bigwings
5th Dec 2004, 08:17
Wink Wink, if you can't find your copy of SP2, PM me your address and I'll post you a copy.

Bigwings :ok:

Toxteth O'Grady
5th Dec 2004, 08:19
2. Chipset/AGP drivers.
3. Latest DirectX.
4. Video drivers.
Is simply burning my system32\drivers file enough? Everything on my computer is up to date.

No, you need the install executable so they register correctly. Just download them again and archive offline before you do the fresh windows install.

5. Anti Virus. Have
6. 3rd party software firewall (if used). Have
7. Online Windows Critcal Updates (including SP2). Okay I have downloaded this but can't find it on my computer to burn unto a cd, any explanation on how to do that?

Don't connect to the Internet until you've done 5 & 6. Then straightaway d'load latest Vscan updates and firewall updates, then make sure your firewall is correctly configured.

For step 7, if you haven't been able to slipstream, run Windows Update online and d'load/install all Critical Update. Will take forever if you are on dial up 56k hence the advantage of slipstream.

wink wink
5th Dec 2004, 08:25
Okay I did a search for sp2 on my computer, I found lots of stuff but could this file be the one I am looking for:

windows\ServicePackFiles\j386

The size is 21,724 KB

If it isn't tell me the file name to look for.

Any info about the drivers and copying the way I asked above?

Forget that question just read your reply. God now I have to search for the drivers.... What is quickest way to find info and where to download. Sorry for the silly questions folks!!!!

Toxteth O'Grady
5th Dec 2004, 08:27
See edit above.

Bigwings
5th Dec 2004, 08:30
My copy of SP2 is 266mb.

Toxteth O'Grady
5th Dec 2004, 08:31
DirectX 9.0c you can d'load from MS.

What's your chipset?

What's your video card?

When you say 'Have' for 5, 6, 8 & 9 I take it you mean the installers (CD or downloaded file). Don't forget during the initial Windows install you will be wiping ALL data off your drive when you format.

wink wink
5th Dec 2004, 08:35
Okay Believe my chip is

Intel 82801BA ultra ata controller

video
Radeon 9200 series

I Think.....

Toxteth O'Grady
5th Dec 2004, 08:37
Standby for driver d'load links.....................brb

Video drivers here (http://www.ati.com/) The d'load link is the Catalyst 4.11 at the bottom left of the ATI web page.

Intel chipset drivers here (http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=45&strTypes=DRV%2CARC&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows%2A+XP+Home+Edition&submit=Go%21)

wink wink
5th Dec 2004, 08:56
Thanks a million for the links. So once I have everything drivers, anti virus etc.... on the list I can safely go and do the clean install?

Okay back with another question with the chip driver, what do I download? I just looked at the link and I am soooo confused :confused:

"When you say 'Have' for 5, 6, 8 & 9 I take it you mean the installers (CD or downloaded file)." Yes I have the cds

Toxteth O'Grady
5th Dec 2004, 09:00
Pretty well. Final check though before you install. Burn the drivers to a CD. Then check that each of the driver installers setup.exe will run from there - last thing you want is to format your drive and then find you have a duff corrupted burn CD or corrupted driver d'load.

Okay back with another question with the chip driver, what do I download? I just looked at the link and I am soooo confused

Standby......

wink wink
5th Dec 2004, 09:03
Thanks a bunch for all the help!! Yes I have everything burnt to cds, I will check to make sure they work as you advised and then go for it......

Which chip driver on the link do I download?

Toxteth O'Grady
5th Dec 2004, 09:05
As a belt and braces check, just download the Intel Chipset ID Utility here (http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=Y&ProductID=861&DwnldID=7820) and run the program. Post the answer and I'll make double sure you get the right chipset driver.

W squared - check your PMs

wink wink
5th Dec 2004, 09:17
Detected; Intel 815 chipset
Memory controller; 82815E/82815EP
I/O controller 82801BA (ICH2)
Intergrated graphics: Not detected or disabled.

have to run away for a bit. I will check your answer when I get back.

Toxteth O'Grady
5th Dec 2004, 09:24
Download Item 2 on this page (http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=45&strTypes=DRV%2CARC%2CSCD%2CUTL&ProductID=179&OSFullName=Windows%2A+XP+Home+Edition&submit=Go%21)

Good luck with your Windows install. I'll look forward to you posting back after you've done it. :cool:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Dec 2004, 13:08
wink wink,

When you do the install of WinXP, if you install on top of itself and during the install options, you tell WinXP to Leave the File System Intact you will not lose any of your data short of what as in your Windows Directory.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. I usually point people to this Slipstream Walkthough:

Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD (http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html)

wink wink
5th Dec 2004, 17:50
Success!!

Finished! Thanks for walking me through it! Only thing left to do is downloading sp2 which will happen while I sleep tonight.

Wiped out everything, just like having a brand new computer.

Toxteth O'Grady, I owe you one for your help

Bigwings, thanks for your offer

Toxteth O'Grady
5th Dec 2004, 19:03
Toxteth O'Grady, I owe you one for your help

No worries, m8. Glad you got it sorted.

You can return the favour sometime on here when I'm stuck.

TOG

Bigwings
5th Dec 2004, 20:00
No probs mate, glad all is well.

Flybywyre
9th Dec 2004, 00:57
Richard.............
On your link I get as far as:

Next, open a Command Prompt (Start > Run > cmd), and go to the folder where you downloaded SP2 (cd \foldername). Type the command: servicepack filename /integrate:drive/path. In my example the command is WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU /integrate:D:\XP-CD.

Then when I press enter it keeps coming up with:

WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable programme or batch file

Any ideas ?

Regards
FBW

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Dec 2004, 12:03
Flybywyre,

Save the full network download of SP2 to a directory named:

C:\WinXP-SP2

(Rename the Service Pack 2 File WinXP-SP2.exe)

Copy all the files from your WinXP CD to:

C:\WinXP-CD

Then from the go Start >> Program Files >> Accessories >> Command Prompt

From the Command Prompt type cd .. as many times as it takes to get back to the root directory C:\ then type:

cd\WinXP-SP2

From there type:

WinXP-SP2 /integrate:C:\XP-CD

I think the confusion is the webpage's example has the a second Hard Drive while you only have one so by typing D:\ it is trying to access your CD Drive.

Take Care,

Richard

Flybywyre
9th Dec 2004, 13:25
Hello Richard and thanks for the reply

I do have two HD's and I finally managed to start the integration process in the early hours. Unfortunately there is still a problem, I recieve a Setup notice with the big red X on it telling me:

Failed to copy some or all of the files necessary for integrated instal.
Please check that:
a) No network or copy errors occurred during the installation process
b) The format of the destination directory is correct.
The files to be integrated must reside in an i386 and/or iab64 or nec98 directory

Tried several times with the same result :confused:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Dec 2004, 16:54
Flybywyre,

It sounds like you do not have the proper version of SP2 downloaded. The file should be 266 MB. If your copy of SP2 is not 266 MB, then it is not the one you need to use. You might want to try downloading SP2 again from here:

Network Version of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/5/165b076b-aaa9-443d-84f0-73cf11fdcdf8/WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe)

Take Care,

Richard

Flybywyre
9th Dec 2004, 17:51
Suspected that so I deleted the old one and downloaded it again, the full 266mb which took 1hr 18 minutes. It finished about 20 minutes ago and I have tried the procedure again only to be presented with the same red X set up notice :{ :{

If you really think using the other site you mention will make a difference I will download it again

Regards
FBW

Flybywyre
9th Dec 2004, 20:15
Managed to do it by drag and dropping the i386 folder in the directory into the XP-CD folder. Probably more luck than judgement but at least I have moved on a notch. Started messing around with the ISO Buster but I suppose I will have to download NERO 6 as I am not getting the images / text that is in the example. Going to work now so more fun and games tomorrow after the night shift.
Don't die laughing but so far it has taken me the best part of 2 days :confused: :8

supercarb
9th Dec 2004, 23:09
I am trying to create a slipstreamed disc and have got to this point

Next, open a Command Prompt (Start > Run > cmd), and go to the folder where you downloaded SP2 (cd \foldername). Type the command: servicepack filename /integrate:drive/path. In my example the command is WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU /integrateXP-CD.

When I press enter the pc beeps and I get the following error message:

ERROR: An extended memory manager is already installed. XMS driver not installed.

Bad command or filename
Bad command or filename
Bad command or filename
Program too big to fit in memory

No doubt I am doing something blatantly wrong. Can anybody suggest what?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Dec 2004, 02:14
supercarb,

Try following the steps I listed above in order to get SP2 to Slipstream and let me know what happens.

Take Care,

Richard

supercarb
10th Dec 2004, 15:51
Richard, thanks for the answer, I am doing exactly per your instructions as far as I can see.
Just tried it on a different PC, didn't get the warning about the XMS driver this time but I am still getting the bit about 'program too big to fit in memory'.

This is on a machine that has 1GB of RAM btw....

OK, I downloaded another copy of sp2 and it works now, cheers Richard

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Dec 2004, 19:09
supercarb,

Glad you were able to get it to Slipstream. Did you try an install with the new CD yet?

Take Care,

Richard

supercarb
11th Dec 2004, 17:01
Richard, yep did a clean install on new pc that I am building for a relative and it worked no probs.

cheers
supercarb

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Dec 2004, 11:43
supercarb,

That is great news! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. SP2 seems to work best when it is a fresh install from a slipstreamed WinXP CD. ;)