PDA

View Full Version : Approach with assymetric config

The Other Half
5th Dec 2004, 03:26
G'Day,

Some advice please. I have the following little procedure in my head as to the configuration of the aircraft when flying the majority of approaches. I'ts in a light twin. I don't have much experience in the day-to-day use of twins, only IR renewals etc. My question is, is the config of the aircraft that I have said i'll try to maintain after an engine failure a sensible option in the given situations? :confused:

• If entering a straight in approach (except ILS) and not entering a holding pattern then complete before landing checks before arrival over IAF and select one stage/approach flap. Lower gear when ready to descend from commencement altitude down to DA (As it’s a straight in approach). If engine failure during approach, continue flying, complete Phase 1 checks but leave flaps and gear down. Raise minima by calculation.
• If entering a holding pattern then complete before landing checks whilst in holding pattern and select one stage/approach flap. If straight in approach then lower gear when ready to descend from commencement altitude down to DA (As it’s a straight in approach) If reversal procedure for a runway aligned approach lower gear only when established inbound, for circling approach leave gear retracted. If engine failure during approach, continue flying, complete Phase 1 checks, for a runway aligned approach leave flaps and gear down, for a circling approach leave flaps down and gear up. Raise minima by calculation.
• If entering directly into a reversal procedure without entering holding pattern then complete before landing checks before arrival over IAF and select one stage/approach flap. For a runway aligned approach lower gear only when established inbound, for circling approach leave gear retracted. If engine failure during approach, continue flying, complete Phase 1 checks, for a runway aligned approach leave flaps and gear down, for a circling approach leave flaps down and gear up. Raise minima by calculation.
• PUFF checks 500 ft before minima
• All that you’re required to do is lower landing flap when visual on finals and if circling lower gear on downwind

My theory is, that if you're descending in an approach then you should leave the config the way it is as there should be enough performance to continue safely down. You are also assuming that you'll probably be visual. As soon as you are you'll probable need more brain capacity to land the aircraft with an assymetric situation. If a go around is necessary then you have already allowed the extra margin and all you need do is apply full power and raise gear/flaps.

Sounds ok? Any suggetsions

Cheers :ok:

Icarus2001
5th Dec 2004, 03:43
This is a very broad topic and I believe it is impossible to address your question with any sort of certainty unless you actually prescribe the aircraft to be used.

I would suggest that if you operate multi-engine IFR you are talking about operating commercially, is this correct? If so then each company will have their own procedure as laid down in the company operations manual and each aircraft will have a checklist to be used during the approach. I would recommend that you simply follow this material as directed by the chief pilot.

Each company believes their method is "the way to do it" usually as an extension of the chief pilot's experience and preferences. Often people do it "that way" because they were taught that way and they are unable to think about any other possibilities.

Some companies prefer to descend as soon as the approach allows others prefer to delay the descent to provide for a continuous descent profile to the MDA for engine handling and passenger comfort reasons.

There are many ways to skin a cat. I would not get too worried about prescribing "the way" to do it. Simply ensure that you operate the aircraft in accordance with company procedures. Incidentally this also applies if you hire a twin from a commercial operator. You should be following their procedures.

Keep the blue side up.:ok:

Chimbu chuckles
5th Dec 2004, 04:30
While I agree with icarus2001 I'll also say that your 'general plan' is quite ok.

I would also think about the engine failure before committed to the approach...if there is ANY doubt about becoming visual in an aircraft that has marginal se performance (as you are talking about light piston twins rather than commercial ops) do not commence the approach...hold or divert to somewhere with weather that is better than minimums.

Remember that reported vis is not reported through a window doing 80-130kts. So if the vis is 2000m RASH talk to the controller (if avail) and decide whether the rash are moving through and perhaps waiting 15 minutes in the hold might give better vis/higher cloudbase...rain/low cloud are more often transitory than constant.

Why do an assy go-around in IMC unless absolutely necesary?

Jet_A_Knight
5th Dec 2004, 05:02
For crissakes always consider what any configuration change you make may do to your OEI performance.

Focus on flying the aeroplane and get as much assistance from ATC as you can. More often than not, vectors and descent to radar LSALT will get you visual, or at the very least, a short ride down the slope.

Don't be in a rush to select flap or gear - unless assured of the runway - that extra drag could mean the difference between making the field or not.

And remember - if it's NOT going to make the field - fly the aeroplane as far into the crash as possible; you're more like to survive a controlled crash, than an Vmca event.

Ah light twins - so little OEI performance, and yet so many decisions to make!!:{

swh
5th Dec 2004, 10:35
As with any skill, how you perform the job is irrelivant, people are only conerned with the outcome...

I personally fly a single engine approach the same way, same checks, same time, same place OEI or not, making necessary power adjustment to maintain performace. The only diff being is that I have never seen the sense in a OEI full flap landing in a light twin.

I dont do dive and drive, I do the continuous descent profile to the "MDA", the MDA I choose to use will depend on a number of factors, type of approach, time of day etc. You dont want to find yourself popping out of cloud at night OEI with no lights infront of you. At the MDA, I am either landing or going around, no level segment to the AID etc.

You can always start the approach at a higher altitude, those reversal procedures that fly level then commence a descent in the turn inbound I find silly, I just increase the start height so I have a continous descent througout the approach...easy to sit back and monitor whats happening in a trimmed out aircraft.

I know lots of IFR schools teach to get to the minimum heights as published on charts asap, they argue to get visual asap, I prefer to keep configuraton, power, and attitude changes to the minimum, and brief myself the approach is not over until I have entered the hold again off the missed...if I get visual its a bonus. By using a continous approach, and adding height if necessary at the start, you always have potential energy and airspeed on your side.

Personally I try and avoid circling approaches all engines or OEI, I always look for a straight in option. May cost you a few extra minutes at times, but keeps the punters happy.

And before doing any approach, take the advice given to you already, try and safely avoid doing one at all, and follow YOUR company SOPs and aircraft POH/checklist.

:ok:

The Other Half
6th Dec 2004, 02:20
Cheers guys, sound advice as usual :ok: