PDA

View Full Version : Glider towing/ Parachute drops

petrolheadtony
4th Dec 2004, 13:01
Does anyone know what the requirements of Glider and Parachute clubs in the UK are for their towing and dropping pilots ? Like a lot of other PPL's probably I would like to keep current this way, just wondered if someone out there doing it could comment on how many hours are typically asked for etc.

Also as I have an FAA PPL rather than a CAA PPL is this likely to be a problem?

WX Man
4th Dec 2004, 14:20
Not so sure about the FAA vs JAA PPL thing- in theory, it shouldn't be a problem because all of your flying will be day VFR. I suppose it depends on the gliding club's attitude towards FAA PPL's.

But using a gliding club or a parachute club just to 'keep current' is, at best, going to be very nearly impossible unless you are very good friends with the Chief Tug Pilot and in favour with all the other glider pilots.

The only way someone from a pure powered flying background can get into a gliding club is to be their resident tug pilot for a season. Most clubs will give you free food and accomodation, some might also give you pocket money (which inevitably gets poured back into club coffers... via the bar!). I did it for a season at a popular hill site and got 450h or so in the logbook.

Can't really speak for the meatbombing crowd- anyone else?

(my my, I am feeling helpful today. How unusual).

pheeel
4th Dec 2004, 16:10
do you not need to have gliding experience and be at a certain standard before you can tug (eg. silver/bronze or similar)? I may be wrong...:)

smith
4th Dec 2004, 20:01
Think you might need at least a CPL before you can "work". Don,t know if you can do it voluntarily or not.

BillieBob
4th Dec 2004, 20:38
do you not need to have gliding experience and be at a certain standard before you can tug Nope. I was tugmaster of a well known gliding club for three years and I have never stepped in a glider in my life, nor would I wish to do so!

WX Man
5th Dec 2004, 14:17
For me it was the other way around, I had a PPL and a few hours, done some gliding (but not very much). Anyway my season as a tuggie introduced me to gliding in a big way, I really enjoyed the flights I did.

Anyway couldn't really afford gliding as a sport, but I used to often see paragliders and I thought "that looks fun"... and I was right!!! I have been, for 6 months, the proud owner of one of these (http://www.flyozone.com/images/press/mojo2.jpg) :ok:

Blinkz
5th Dec 2004, 16:05
I've got about 50hrs in gliders, with 10 solo. I'm half way thro my PPL and will be going on to commercial training. Whats the best way to become a tuggie? Obviously will need to get a tail dragger rating. Is there any where to get a glider towing rating? or is that generally done at a gliding club?

smith
5th Dec 2004, 17:44
So you don't need a CPL for glider towing or Meatball dropping. I thought you would have needed at least a CPL for that kind of stuff?

gijoe
5th Dec 2004, 18:26
Hey prospective tuggies,

Check out the BGA website, see who uses tugs, go down to the clubs, introduce yourself...and you may just find that someone else ends up paying for you flying whilst you keep current.

A word of warning - tugging is not fun flying watching the sky go by. It is all about getting the glider up, getting back down and getting the next one in the air as quick as possible.

When its dull and overcast, not many will want to glide. When the sun's shining they come out in their hoards...and you will not get a rest all afternoon. My record is about 24 lifts to 3000 in one afternoon.

So that's the health warning - but the other side is that I think it helps with you flying skills, planning your 'rejoin' to get back on the ground asap, engine management to avoid shock cooling, fuel managment (don't want to run out on the next lift) and general all-round awareness.

I struggle with one brain sometimes....having someone in the rear aircraft means you have 2 brains dictating the direction of you craft. I watch them all very, very closely - any sign of trouble, PIOs, etc and they're off. If they're not on radio you have no way of knowing what's going on in the glider - the rear bloke could have just had a heart attack and you can do nothing about it except preserve yourself.

I've just had a great Summer - about 400 launches and a great big wedge of hours that someone else shelled out for ( ie the glider pilots)

Go for it!

G :cool:

petrolheadtony
5th Dec 2004, 23:09
Thanks to all for your replies, some food for thought there. Certainly worth me looking in to it further from the replies. Good luck to all of you whatever flying your doing.

pheeel
6th Dec 2004, 14:44
I believe that unless you have a CPL you cannot be technically "rewarded" for flying tugs, but I've heard that some are paid as "cleaners" or "barstaff"....but I never said that;)

pheeel

redbar1
6th Dec 2004, 15:12
Hi,
I do not know the details of the UK system, but FWIW I do know that in several other JAA states, as soon as a CPL holder gets any pay for flying, it is classed as at least commercial aviation/aerial work, thus requiring at least an operators certificated organisation, with chief pilot, quality system, commercial registration and maintenance of a/c, and on and on and on... :(

I did fly a lot of meatbombers in younger years ( was it really THAT long ago.... :\ ) You will learn how to be veeeery gentle on your engine, if you want to keep the position, as this is some of the worst flying you can do, as seen from the engine. Was great fun, until meatbombs started "hitting home".

Anyway, I wish you good luck, and many hours of flying!
Cheers, Redbar1

GEORDIEPILOT
7th Dec 2004, 09:04
Hi Petrolhead

You dont need a commercial licence to tow gliders and you should be ok with a FAA ticket but that would be up to the gliding club/tugmaster concerned.

As Wxman said - the best way to clock up your time quickly is to be a resident tug pilot for the season at a club such as Booker/Lasham/Aboyne.

I was a resident tug pilot many moons ago (in France) and although I fly commercially now, I still tug at weekends. In my experience, I think that BillieBob is the exception - most gliding clubs prefer a tuggie to have at least a basic knowledge of gliding - the tug pilot needs to take the glider where it wants to be, not just to a random position in the sky.

Send your cv to the tug masters at the big clubs early in the new year and you might be in with a chance.

Remember though... as gi joe mentioned... its a load of fun but the guy behind you CAN kill you very quickly if he loses control and pull your tail up, so dont get complacent.

Good luck

ATP_Al
8th Dec 2004, 07:20
I did a season at a certain gliding club in Hampshire and still tug there at weekends. In my experience gliding experience is normally a prerequisite (I have 100 hours and silver C) as there are so many pilots looking for this kind of position. This applies even more if you just want to tow at weekends: most clubs will only allow members to do this and there is usually a waiting list (four years at my club!). Another thing to remember is that gliding clubs employ few paid staff (if any), with all the jobs that need doing being shared amongst the members, so don't be surprised if you end up sweeping hangers etc,

On a more positive note, If you do get some work it is great fun but as others have said it has its scary moments as well.

If anyone's looking for a full time position, clubs usually select for the following season around this time of year. Try www.gliderpilot.net or Sailplane & gliding magazine. I know the Yorkshire Gliding Club (Sutton Bank) have advertised recently. Might be worth a try.

Good luck

Al

P.S. If anyone knows anything about Parachute dropping jobs, please drop my a PM!:ok: