PDA

View Full Version : AdAware

Tosh McCaber
2nd Dec 2004, 22:41
I run AdAware, along with AVG anti-virus.

Every time I run Adaware, I come up with 10- 30 nasty spying things. I run AdAware, and the nasty spying things go away. However, 24 hours later, I run AdAware, and I come up with another dose of the same nasty things.

My question is- how soon do the nasties come back, and for how long will they be there, prior to my next scan with AdAware? What's the use of running AdAware, if the nasties are there most of the time?

Shouldn't it be like anti- virus, monitoring all the time??

Naples Air Center, Inc.
2nd Dec 2004, 22:59
Tosh McCaber,

Spyware and Malware are two different things.

AVG gets the Viruses, Trojans, and Worms - Malware

Ad-Aware gets the Cookies, and Trackers - Spyware

Too much of either on your comp can bring it to a crawl.

I would try leaving your comp off the Interent, running full scans with both programs, and without logging on to the net for at least 24 hours, try running the two programs again and see if anything appears.

Take Care,

Richard

Tosh McCaber
3rd Dec 2004, 06:12
Naples, Speechless,

Thanks for the replies.

Naples, I was aware of the difference- rather, Iwas giving the comparison between AVG monitoring all the time for viri(!), and AdAware only monitoring for intruders when it is run. Therefore, the intruder nasties may come back 5 minutes later, and do their evil deeds for another 23hrs, 55minutes, until the next AVG scan.

Speechless, the Ad-Aware SE Plus sounds more to what I'm looking for- an anti- spy system monitoring all the time. My only concern is - would it slow my connection down, as it constantly scans- when AVG does (its hour long) scan, my system runs radically slower, due to the resources required for the AVG scan, and I'm running on Athlon 2000.

Thanks for both your replies.

Tosh

Reds Blues Greens
3rd Dec 2004, 09:21
Hi,

I run Ad-aware SE personal and it often finds lots of nasties to remove.

I have found that Spybot:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

can find lots of spyware and other nasties that are missed by Ad-aware. Well worth running now and again.

Just as an aside, does anyone here have a Hotmail account? Has anyone found lately that there is lots of ad popups now appearing with the use of Hotmail? I am almost sure that it is Hotmail that is responsible for replacing the 10 or so adware bits and pieces straight after I have run Ad-aware. Hmmph. :*

Cheers,

Ian.

Front_Seat_Dreamer
3rd Dec 2004, 10:12
Just to follow on from what Reds Blues Greens mentioned that I always recommend having both Ad-Aware & SpyBot installed and run on a regular basis.

Also within SpyBot there is an Immunize feature which will block potential problems from infecting your machine.

P.Pilcher
3rd Dec 2004, 12:56
Yes - I've actually saved up my pennies and purchased a copy of Adaware SE plus with adwatch and can recommend it. I certainly find fewer nasties on my computer since installing them. However it is important to update the software as frequently as possible and then running adaware when a new update is received. It tends to find quite a few nasties which scraped past adwatch before the update. Running spybot is also advisable as recommended above, further the Adaware settings should be adjusted in accordance with E-Liam's instructions which he posts frequently and can be found in the "sticky" FAQ thread.

P.P.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Dec 2004, 14:33
Tosh McCaber,

Sorry about the misunderstanding. Just to make sure there is not something nasty actually installed on your comp, you could still run the test over night:

I would try leaving your comp off the Internet, running full scans with both programs, and without logging on to the net for at least 24 hours, try running the two programs again and see if anything appears.

That will tell us if it is the sites you visit sticking the spyware on your computer or a program already installed on your computer doing it.

Take Care,

Richard

Tosh McCaber
5th Dec 2004, 17:12
Richard and All,

Thanks for all the replies. As usual, it's great to get discussion going, and have lots of tips and advice.

What a civilised forum, compared with some of the others!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Dec 2004, 12:15
Tosh McCaber,

That is why I stay here vs listening to the one post wonders in the other forums like in this thread:

Please help! Any advice gratefully received! (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154132)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Anyone have any bananas they could give me? :D

amanoffewwords
6th Dec 2004, 13:03
There you go...

http://www.planetsmilies.com/uploads/smil415da91a465ee.gif

By the way...

The only complaint I have with them is that the vending machine does get low on stock sometimes :eek:

tut tut

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Dec 2004, 13:45
Charles,

Thanx for the banana. :cool:

Richard

P.S. They are not my vending machines so I cannot control them. :(

amanoffewwords
6th Dec 2004, 14:47
Well, as long as they're not selling Pepsi :yuk:

E-Liam
6th Dec 2004, 17:58
Hi Richard,

Well from a non-flying ppruner, he's not talking about the same Richard I know, that helps a dozen people a day out over here, with nothing but good advice and a smile. :ok:

Why don't you ask Evo to dig out his IP/details etc. find out who it is and just take them round the back of the hanger for a few minutes err.. one2one education.. if you get my meaning. :mad: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch:

If he hasn't got the balls to voice his opinion face to face, then he's a :mad: :mad:. That was English cursing.. I don't know if the translation will cross the Atlantic.. :D:D

Cheers

Liam

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Dec 2004, 12:15
Charles,

No worries, no Pepsi in there but plenty of Dr. Pepper (Drink of the Gods.) :cool:

Liam,

People like that, there is nothing you can do about them. I just keep feeding them more rope until they hang themselves. No point in trying to find what rock he came out from. ;)

Richard

maxell
8th Dec 2004, 12:49
I run Adaware se, Spybot, spywareblaster, sygate firewall and Avast avg.
seems to keep this machine fairly clean of nasties. Considering the amount of time it spends online.
used to use zonealarm firewall but it caused some problems with one or two programs i use.

Even with that lot running I have still picked up some helpful information from this forum :ok:

Max