PDA

View Full Version : Pointless Publications...

JTIDS
2nd Dec 2004, 17:32
Can anyone else think of any defence publications we could live without and save a lot of money on? A couple to start off with are:-

"FOCUS" Magzine (for people in defence) which seems to write about the new build at the MOD and not a lot else and

"Paperclips" for civilians working in the MOD. It proudly boasts a hardcopy print of 30,000 in full glorious colour.

Surely the money could be spent better elsewhere than on these bits of paper which keep on finding themselves in the crew room bin.

L J R
2nd Dec 2004, 17:39
'The Officer'

'RAF Active' - For those PedOs who can afford three weeks at camp C prior to the summit march up the south face of K2 (not forgetting the 3 months acclimatising at Camp A in Nepal prior to the Exped.

There is a Supply one also (cant recall the name) -appears to have lots of pics of feel good committees (Mostly Civvies & the occasional WGCDR).

norvenmunky
2nd Dec 2004, 19:04
SLAM Project.

Whats the point when our single blokes (JNCOs and below) are living in ****e accom.

Heating, showers blah blah......get it sorted

whowhenwhy
2nd Dec 2004, 19:40
U Need 2 Know (digi-yoof speak a quote, not my own words)

Did we really need 2 know that by 2008 we'll only have 64 muds and 16 AD fairies? Sorry, but I find that somewhat depressing when our colonial cousins have that kind of firepower at one of their stations eg Lakenheath.

But remember, we won't ever go on an op without them!!

Jobza Guddun
2nd Dec 2004, 20:21
JAP-100A - the millstone round the engineers necks. Took the useful things we could do and upranked them so as to be no use.

Not a publication but a system - LITS!!

And a further system - QA!!

Climebear
3rd Dec 2004, 07:54
WhowhenWhy

'But remember, we won't ever go on an op without them[fast air]!!'

General point is well made; however, final quote is somewhat unfounded. Fast Jets have not (to my knowledge) been used in Northern Ireland - the longest running op in the RAF's history. The RAF's fast jets weren't used for Afghanistan (AT/AR & AWACS then SH were) for either of the initial ops and have only recently turned up. No fast jet involvement in the Balkans anymore but SH/AT involvement continues (if not continuously) as does the contribution made by some ground-based personnel (EOD teams). Mozambique, DRCongo and Ivory Coast ops were achieved without fast air as well. Not all ops involve the use of kinetic effect!

SirToppamHat
3rd Dec 2004, 08:07
Climebear

But remember, we won't ever go on an op without them!!
I think what WWW was referring to was the Americans rather than FJ ac. His dig being at those who suggest that our need for FJ ac is reduced because we will always have the Americans alongside us in expeditionery(sp?) ops. History suggests otherwise, though they are probably more likely to stand beside us than most of our NATO allies.

Following on ... has anyone else noticed a reduction in the number of exchange posts? Posts being withdrawn to save money?

tu chan go
3rd Dec 2004, 11:16
Another great system which has worked flawlessly from day 1....ALFENS??

Lima Juliet
3rd Dec 2004, 14:23
AVIATE!

Let's ditch this junk and bring back "AirClues".

Love

LJ

Pontius Navigator
3rd Dec 2004, 15:48
FOI Cards. I've had the brief (£200) will do the course (£500) got the card through my paychit AND another 16 through the mail. I have configured my email to Delete before Read.

constantly bemused
3rd Dec 2004, 20:20
I nominate the new AP 3001. Described as a brief 400 page history of the RAF it is being distributed to all serving members of the RAF, all the reservists and the entire cadet force.

Now I just know that some desk bound genius has guaranteed himself a desk job for life and a rapidly blossoming carreer on the back of this.:\ :suspect: Anyone recall the CD-Rom experiment a few years back. Coffee tables everywhere were saved from nasty stains thanks to that. I fear that the paper in this document will be too shiny to be of any real use!!!:rolleyes:

Our lords and master's ability to waste money is a constant source of bemusement in our current fiscally restrained environment.

Oh well rant over.........for now!!!!

The Rocket
3rd Dec 2004, 23:26
"Kit" Magazine.

Full of informative, "Humorous" cartoons about the kit we use, and how best to treat it etc...etc....

Very good if the kit you use is green, and a Warrior APC, and you keep filling the gearboxes of 4.5 tonners with the wrong oil. Lots of cartoons about that

Not so good in an RAF crewroom.:rolleyes:

moggiee
4th Dec 2004, 10:37
Does the "Officer's Christian Union" still publish their own tome which used to sneak into the mess every now and then when we weren't looking?