PDA

View Full Version : Change Fatigue

LoeyDaFrog
1st Dec 2004, 22:04
Evening All,

Whilst I cannot claim any credit for the following, when I came across it in a rather old, moth-eared book of my grandads, it did hit a bit of a note.
I'm not looking for a bite, just looking to see what others, who like myself are wondering whether to take the offer that may or may not be given in a few weeks time, are thinking.

So here goes............

"We trained very hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form into teams we would be reorganised.
I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising, and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress, while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralisation."
Gaius Petronius (d. AD 66), Roman general, author of "Satyricon",
forced by Nero to commit suicide.

Always_broken_in_wilts
1st Dec 2004, 22:46
A brief look at the J and K line restructure here in Wilts gives great credence to that sentiment:sad:

spell checked to avoid abuse:E

Canary Boy
2nd Dec 2004, 11:17
"Chiefs of the Royal Navy, the Army and the Royal Air Force are busy working out one of the most tricky sums in the history of national defence. The answers will largely decide the ultimate peace-strength and shape of the three Services.
The Defence Minister told the House of Commons that, next to defence research, top priority would be to maintain the structure of the RAF and its initial striking power.
How fares our £2bn RAF today? Ugly whispers that our Air Force is in a parlous state are sometimes heard; that if suddenly called upon it could only put a handful of bomber and fighter squadrons into the air.
The RAF's dilemma at the moment, though, is not how few men it has so much as what kind of men they are. It is a seriously unbalanced force at the moment, and is likely to be so for the next 3 to 4 years."

An extract from the Royal Air Force Review December 1947!

:uhoh:

whowhenwhy
2nd Dec 2004, 19:45
Why is it that no-one ever seems capable of learning from history? Ahhh, the joy of man's ability to believe that he'll get it right this time because it's him doing it, not the poor sap that f**ked it all up last time, even though he was doing exactly the same thing, in exactly the same way.

Normally we call that arrogance!

Milt
2nd Dec 2004, 22:27
Reorganisation is usually a way of "Reinventing the Wheel"

Doesn't matter what sort of an organisation you have there are ALWAYS internal pressures to change it yet again.

Eventually you can go round a few time and get back to where it started years before.

tu chan go
3rd Dec 2004, 11:23
Whilst serving at the N Wales base a few years ago, someone had the bright idea that, since Admin Wing 'supported' the rest of the Station, it should be called 'Support Wing'.

Cue lots of changed name plates on doors, all the headed paper had to be changed and a new telephone directory compiled and printed. Much expense!!

After 3 months of nobody being able to contact anyone in 'Support Wing' because they had no idea what the new job titles were, it was all changed back again.

Total waste of time and money!