PDA

View Full Version : Going Down Under???

go_solo
1st Dec 2004, 21:58
I saw a posting from Shaablamm under "some words of advice" and I have to say it was a bit of a blow! I'm nearing the end of my migration visa application to Oz and had planned to go over and complete my ATPL.

I wasn't only going over for the flying as I lived there for a time, loved the place and people, plus I have family and friends however I still want to fly for a living!

I was recently introduced to an Australian pilot who flies over here in the UK and he said much the same as Shaablamm, that the market is really flat in oz and people are flying for free just to build hours, but I guess I'm looking for confirmation that it really is as dire as his comments and previous posts suggests.

Should I just use my visa to build hours in Oz on my PPL for a couple of months and come back, get my JAR ATPL and get a job (i know, not an easy thing to do here either :ugh: ) or is the situation likely to change in the short to medium term?

Cheers

Go Solo

redsnail
1st Dec 2004, 23:33
Depends on what you want to do.
If you don't mind shifting around (and UK to Oz isn't a small step) then you'll be ok with tootling off to the Kimberley et al to look for flying work. No way did I fly for free. You'll find most scrupulous operators will not tolerate that any way.

Experienced pilots are becoming harder to find in Oz. If you're willing to do a season or two out in the Kimberley/Territory then move back to Darwin/Cairns or to Sydney for a bank run job then you're looking good. Bank running combined with some turbine time is gold.
Do some time with Rex or Qantaslink and see how you go with Jetstar or Cathay or Dragonair.

The asian market (in particular the Chinese) market is expanding at a reasonable rate. Once you have decent jet time under your belt, then think about converting back to JAR or wait till 2006 and there's supposed to be a change with the FAA and CAA. (Note, JAA will become EASA soon)

FlightIdle
2nd Dec 2004, 03:49
RedSnail, you'd have to be pretty lucky to be able to find work with bare minimum hours and not have to "fly for free" at some stage. You are right about doing a season or two in the far north though. That generally pays off but its the waiting around that gets most guys.

FlightIdle

go_solo
2nd Dec 2004, 22:53
Thanks guys, I’m not averse to spending a bit of time up in the Kimberley or anywhere in the NT or WA as I lived up there for few months when I was in oz last, plus I have a good few contacts up there. I guess it’s like everything else in aviation, a bit of perseverance and a big chuck of luck!

As you say Redsnail, the move from the UK to Oz is a big step but I’m happy to take it as long as I don’t end up shooting myself in the foot re my career.

When I was over in Oz last, I had a couple of flights at the Royal Aero Club of WA in Jandakot and they were pretty positive about job opportunities but I guess it’s in there interest to say that…. when did you last hear of a training organisation who said that you wont get a job once your trained!!

Thanks again,

Go Solo

MAX
3rd Dec 2004, 13:04
Mate, just make sure you get your immigration sorted first! Once you have that Aussie passport you can come and go as you please. I miss home so much I sometimes consider leaving my warm Boeing for the surfboard and beach. But I have the choice, you wont if you dont immigrate first.

Good luck.

MAX:cool:

go_solo
3rd Dec 2004, 17:37
Cheers Max, it’s been a long slog and cost me what would otherwise have been a good few hours of flying (to date over a grand in solicitor’s fee’s for certified copies of docs, chest X-ray, medical, plus the fee to the Australian Gov) but I’m nearing the end and only need my sponsor to deposit the bond and that’s me.

As you say, it’s great to have options and on days where it’s minus two and the vis is 100m in drizzle, the thought of one long sunny day after another keeps me going!

thebeast
3rd Dec 2004, 21:02
hi there just wondering how easy it is to convert from JAA to Australian lisences? i think i ve read somewhere about Australian specific ATPL subjects any truth in this?

redsnail
4th Dec 2004, 00:36
Yes and no.
To comply with Australian regulations all you need is a bridging exam. This encompasses the whole Aussie theory but a JAR ATPL guy should be up to speed with most of it other than Flight Planning and some of the finer points in met.

However, if your Australian ATPL was obtained purely by working the loopholes then you may be scuppered. A genuine guy with a fair ol' time flying in the UK on eg 737s or A320 etc having gone through the full JAR ATPL bollox may viewed upon favourably.

NOTE!!! I am not a recruiter so my comments are to be taken as a guide, not gospell.
Good luck.