PDA

View Full Version : Modular Ir At Oxford

oldandskint
1st Dec 2004, 13:20
I am just about to commence my IR training, modular route. Does anyone have experiences, good or bad, with modular IR training at Oxford.

They say the course can be done in 6 weeks! Is this realistic?

Do they favour Integrated students and give them preference with slots etc?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Speedbird744
1st Dec 2004, 13:36
There was a myth when I was at Oxford, that they gave Integrated students greater preference over aircraft bookings and slots. But its not really true.

Expect to work bloody hard, a 1/3 or less of all students I believe get first time passes for the IR.

silverknapper
1st Dec 2004, 13:46
look here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148117&highlight=truth+about+oxford)
Personally would go to a smaller dedicated modular school.

TRon
1st Dec 2004, 17:40
Not going to flog this. If you want some info please feel free to PM me. I think the whole Oxford thing has been done to death on here. Same theme crops through and makes me and everyone else look bitter, which I am not!! Just realistic.

Tea White None
2nd Dec 2004, 11:56
When you start your IR at Oxford, you go to the bottom of the seniority list. This list allows people close to IR to get the pick of ac and slots etc.

This may prove a little frustrating as you start out if you loose an ac/sim slot etc, but will pay dividends come the Prog Tests and IR.

The list works well and is flexible enough to accommodate specific individual circumstances.

It does not matter if you are Integrated or Modular, fat, thin, tall, small, male or female.

Hope this helps

no sponsor
2nd Dec 2004, 15:16
I've just done the rounds looking at various schools, and decided that the best route for me was to go to a school where you are treated with the same priority from day one. Other requirements for me were that there are career instructors and you stay with the same instructor throughout. Good first pass rates were of a very high importance to me.

None of the larger schools offered this, and it was quite obvious that you were a second class citizen if you are a modular student. Cabair were the most upfront about it: you get all the ****e aircraft.

Size of school, fancy buildings, impressive brochures, and nice paint schemes on aircraft were of absolutely no influence.

porridge
2nd Dec 2004, 20:18
No Sponsor
Quite agree with previous posts - go to a smaller school. Why? Firstly they will be cheaper, secondly they will invariably give you more personal attention, you will not be just a number. Believe me that's what you'll be at OAT OPS - just a number. At most smaller schools you will actually enjoy going there to train, OAT has to have the most miserable atmosphere amongst staff and students alike, futhermore there are 33 possible test route scenarios that are available for you to be tested on for Kidlington so it is a nightmare to prepare for. Best to go to a school that operates though or out of one of the other test centres. PM if you'd like a list of some of the good smaller schools and their operating bases.

BigAir
2nd Dec 2004, 21:54
Actually quite disagree with Porridge - did you go to Oxford? or is it just what a mate has told you or what you picked up on here?

If you went to OATS then you have had a very different experience to all that I know. Okay we were on Integrated (Yes APP before anyone complains, makes no odds though). But we had a damn good laugh whilst going through the IR because as a course we knew each other. Most modular guys and the RAF guys mixed in well in the crew room, and if not flying most people seemed chatty or helped you out if needed - apart from the odd few people who just seemed to want to keep themselves to themselves.

As for changing instructors... well apart from one guy who requested a change, and a couple of people who's instructors went on holiday (including mine) you stayed with the same instructor throughout. Indeed when my instructor came back, it was straight back to him. Not a problem, unless you think instructors shouldn't have holiday. You will maximum be 4 to an instructor, mostly seemed to be 2 or 3 to an instructor - so your instructor gets to know you pretty well as they would at any school.

Yes there are a few instructors who are upset with conditions etc or want to move onwards and upwards, and at a smaller school you may fly with the guy that runs it so he would have no reasonto moan, but from My Experience all instructors at Oxford were very professional when training and gave good briefs etc, some to the point you wanted to get out of there more than the instructor!

33 Test routes - well I counted 15, had them all pre-prepared in my nav bag before my IRT. Sure there might be the odd new one that Mr Oddy or Mcleland think up, but anyway it is an IR - you should be able to fly whatever.... most of the time you get the route the night before, how are you going to cope if you all of sudden work for a corporate jet company/business man and get 1 hour to go somewhere you've never heard of before?

One thing to take into consideration is that Oxford is a regional test center - if you go to some smaller schools at none test center airfields then that is more time and money positioning ac for your irt, only to maybe cancel the test due to unsuitable wx. its more money when flying profiles as you waste the time transiting the ac, so take that cost into the equation when saying this place is xxx pounds cheaper per hour. Also it adds an extra element to already one of the most stressful days you will have in your life (although for me it was like an out of body experience, just happened before I realised - lucky me)

Priority list as stated works well, although I never made it into the top 20 as some people have been there forever. I did the whole 74 hours integrated (40hrs sim, 34 ac) in 8 weeks with a first time pass. per schedule. I only did this because I prepared for all my flights thoroughly, pushed to do 3 trips a day between me and my partner where possible and avoided flying the most popular shifts. Also had pretty good wx this summer, and when it was borderline (CB's around etc) I was still prepared to go.

at Oxford you are not just a number, all the senior flying staff and management know me (and most of the others) by face and name even having been out of their a couple of months. I had a thouroughly enjoyable time and although can't possibly advise on other trainings schools I have not been to, will happily sing oxfords praises. If you want further info then PM me.

BigAir

EGAC_Ramper
3rd Dec 2004, 01:30
BUT Big air your post is appreciated but like you said you were INTEGRATED.I myself am going modualr and will be doing my groundschool at least with Oxford and deciding upon my flying side while there.

Regards:O

oldandskint
7th Dec 2004, 20:06
Thanks guys.
Have decided to go to Aero's at Gloucester.
Why??

Oxford advertise 6 weeks for 50 hr IR.
Just spoken to four guys doing the modular IR. All are at the end of the course....none have been there less than 8 weeks!!
All of them have at least another 2 -3 weeks to go. Loads of hanging around waiting for slots. No a/c and long waits for the sims. APP students flowing back from Scottsdale so the back log just getting worse. Only 30% are getting a first time pass. Not very impressive.

Aero's.....much cheaper, better aircraft, max 2 students per instructor (at least 4 at Oxford). 50% FTP and 100% FSP record. Been to visit and very professional and grateful for the custom which is a welcoming change compared to Mr Pettiford's empire!!

Will keep you posted as to how it goes.