PDA

View Full Version : Route to happiness?

KCDW
1st Dec 2004, 07:18
Hi,

Some advice please.

Doing some long range planning, and looking 9 years down the road, I will have paid off my mortgage, and seen the kids through college!

After that, I want to quit my particular rat race, and do something for love, not money.

Lecturing is my first choice - good holidays, enough money to live on. But... here is the rub, probably not enough money to keep flying.

So I thought that the ideal solution is to lecture, and do some flying instructing on the side. Not for money (I've read enough of the poverty you guys live in on this thread :). Purely for fun.

How realistic is this dream? Do people do this sort of thing?
Will I find work if only doing it part-time?
Would I be viewed as a pariah by the full time FIs?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

A and C
12th Dec 2004, 13:35
I would wecome a committed part time instructor and I think that as time passes the demand for your services will increase as the JAA licencing system seems to discourage people doing instructors ratings as a route to an airline job.

KCDW
12th Dec 2004, 17:28
Good to know A and C, and I was beginning to think I would be a total pariah :)

tonker
13th Dec 2004, 16:34
Cider and broadband!:)

1nstructor
15th Dec 2004, 17:43
Well you've pretty well described my life ! Part-time lecturing provides a guaranteed income, pays the mortgage, keeps my brain active when the weather is ****. Flight instruction keeps me in the air (weather permitting) and I just love it. I would suggest that this may be the perfect formula. Alternatively, if you want to get rich or famous you could do something else. I'm happy though - hope you will be too - 1nstructor.
PS My life is not recommended for sensible people or those with debts, children, high mortgages, second homes or an interest in fine wines or expensive cars,