PDA

View Full Version : FAA Aptitude testing?

APOS
30th Nov 2004, 21:45
Hi there I was just wondering if anyone out there could possibly give me some advice about what the FAA's stance is on aptitude testing??

I went for selection at Oasc for pilot with the Raf, 6 months ago when I had just turned 23 after flying with the UAS for 2 years.
Unfortunately I didn't get selected and was really gutted as I was too old to have a second chance at it. In my debrief I was told that I had done quite well but had gone down at a unfortunate time with regards to pilot selection in the RAF.

6 months year later im still yearning to fly and was told that the FAA recruited untill the age of 26 and am now thinking its worth a try.

As far as aptitude goes It was my first time taking the tests and I got a competitive aptitude score for pilot but failed the WSO and ATC battery. From reading various threads on I know that ATC and observer aptitude has to be passed for FAA.

I was just wondering if the FAA would let me do the battery of aptitude tests again? I genuinely believe that I can do much better in the all the aptitude tests having done them, knowing how they work and what to face. The first time I went down blind and with out any prep for the tests and to be honest I was'nt too bothered about passing the ATC and WSO test's

I would appreicate it if you could give me your view on whether its worth me going for this as I know its ultra competitive but at the same time im really serious about preparing for this and doing well?

Any help is much appreciated,

APOS

:confused:

Oggin Aviator
30th Nov 2004, 22:47
Pilots who fly in the FAA are Naval Officers first, aviators second (and I'm sure its the same in the RAF). The Navy is vastly different from the Air Force, may be better, may be worse, depending on your viewpoint. Before you have experienced both, as some have, you are not really experienced to realise the difference. Having some UAS experience gives you some idea of the RAF, but not the RN. Why can I say this - well I did 3 yrs on LUAS including a shed load of flying, visiting other RAF stations, getting immersed in Mess life etc etc. Then I joined the Navy and yes, it is different.

So you may want to do some research into the life of a Naval Officer, both professional and personal, before deciding if it is for you. If so, go to a careers office and ask the question above. At least then you can show them some committment and a knowledge of some of the wider RN issues.

Good Luck, whatever you decide.

BTW edit to say I dont know the answer to your question, the careers people would probably be able to answer that.

Colonel W E Kurtz
1st Dec 2004, 01:56
You will have to do the tests again, the FAA ones are tougher than the RAF's.

Si Clik
1st Dec 2004, 07:56
Just to clarify:

ALL THREE SERVICES DO THE SAME TESTS! but the scores required to get in are different.

The FAA pass mark was the highest up until about 6 months ago when the RAF moved the goalposts.

You will not get another chance I'm afraid aptitude scores do not improve with age after 21.

Your age probably rules you out I'm sorry to say.

Advice to all: The services do not like gap years...get in early.

:hmm:

APOS
1st Dec 2004, 08:38
Well thank's for letting me know. Thats a bit of a blow to be honest - when I did the original tests at OASC I was told you were allowed to sit them twice.

As the Aptitude tests are administered by OASC for the FAA I assumed I would have another crack at them and at least the chance of having a go at the selection proccedure. Can anyone clarify this?

If this is true I'll just have to consider Officer careers doing something else?!

Any advice would be great,

Thanks, Apos

airborne_artist
1st Dec 2004, 09:01
Apos

Click on user cp, and view your private message(s)

AA

semisonic
1st Dec 2004, 11:47
Hi guys.

Concerning the RAF aptitude tests for pilot, what is now a competitive score? The pass mark is 112 and the maximum is 180?

Just bearing it in mind..

Thanks.

BigGrecian
1st Dec 2004, 12:04
112 Pass Mark it might as well be up near 150. I'm not sure what it is; but you have to be VERY VERY competitive - especially with guys at UASs being told they prob won't be selected.

In the aptitude tests which are applicable to both pilot and nav - you have to get higher scores to be a Nav in the RAF than to be a pilot in air corps/faa.

Si Clik
1st Dec 2004, 16:27
Semisonic,

RN passmark continues to be around 112 but to be competitive you need in the mid 120s.

We are avidly recruiting but you need to bear in ind the comments above about Naval Officers and going to sea.

More exciting though!

:cool:

semisonic
1st Dec 2004, 16:58
si clik,

Only 120 to be competitive?? thats low no?

I have just applied to RAF after UAS at Uni, but am realistic about opportunities. I would defo consider RN should the outcome be 'NO!' from the junior service!! YOu need fast jet jockeys no?

cobaltfrog
1st Dec 2004, 17:16
APOS

Do NOT dispair. I have read SOME of the posts and they are not based on FACT!

Yes you have until you are 26 to take the tests
Yes you can take them again
Yes you are a Naval Officer first, but that comes with training at BRNC
No you do not have to pass both banks especially although it depends on the cut and the numbers we are looking for.
We needs FJ pilots at the moment, we also need Observers so that should give you some idea. Also the FAA will look at your FAT scores and see how you did.

If in doubt PM me. I DO know the facts!!

Si Clik offers good advice as always and he knows too!!

airborne_artist
1st Dec 2004, 17:52
Just to show you how mysteriously things work in the RN, there is a Royal Marines officer who flies/flew Harriers.

He would have joined the RM as a 2nd Lt, completed his junior officers trg, done at least one tour, and then applied for pilot training.

AllTrimDoubt
1st Dec 2004, 22:48
Actually, we have several....! Not mysterious, just good enough!

Pielander
1st Dec 2004, 23:09
Pilot tests are the same, but I'm pretty sure observer is different to WSO. I've done buth RAF tests (10 years ago) and FAA tests (a few months ago) and the FAA battery is shorter.

For a start, there is no CLAN test. (That can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned). The one with the bars that grow on different screens, where you have to collect the scores, is also not included.

I failed WSO (or nav, as it used to be called), but passed observer with a good score. I'm sure it's not because I've got any cleverer - not considering the number of brain cells I must have killed off since then!

Apply asap if you haven't already. Age is a big issue, and FAA age regs move into line with RAF this year.:oh:

Mikehegland
4th Dec 2004, 10:20
Becareful airborne artist. Next you will be suggesting that the Royal Marines are not in the Navy....

airborne_artist
4th Dec 2004, 12:58
MH

They (the RM) are a very different breed to the RN, but top blokes, all of them. A Booty who gets onto SHAR is someone who has really got something out of life, in my humble opinion.

Having the RM within the RN may look odd from the outside, but you can be pretty sure that the RM would give large/useful parts of their anatomy to stay well out of reach/control of/by the pongos.